Latest post Tue, Nov 18 2008 4:37 PM by Scott Carnegie. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 13 2008 6:26 AM

• ktornado87
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 5 2008
    • Savannah, GA, USA
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Transferring Project from Media Composer v 3.0 to Symphony Nitris

Hello Everyone,

I apologize in advance if this question was asked before; I have done some pretty extensive searching on the subject and haven't really found a post that could answer my question! If it has been answered, if someone would be so kind to post the link, that would be great!

I would like to know what is the correct way of transferring a project that was created on Media Composer software to Symphony Nitirs. I have run into some issues when attempting to tackle this on my own. The project is a 30i NTSC project. My media was captured from a MiniDV tape on a DV deck (AG-DV2500) on to the Media Composer, at DV 25 411 OMF quality. This is all that I needed to do on the Media Composer because it is the station that has the DV deck. Since this was all that was needed, I put the Project folder, as well as the OMFI Media Files folder on to my external drive and took it to the Symphony station. I then copied the project folder and the media folder to space on the Unity network we have. Then I fired up the Symphony and opened the project. The project opened, all of my bins appeared, but all of my media was offline. I attempted to use the relink command, but it did not work. I experimented for a bit then I used the import command in the file menu to select all of the OMFI files and the .aif files in the OMFI Media Files folder (the one that I brought from the Media Composer). Symphony imported the files and then I used the relink command and all the media came back online. The only downside to this was that the media was recreated by Avid, so the OMFI media files folder is now twice the size.

My question is: is this a normal workflow for bringing files from one station to another? Should the files appear online right away because the media folder was transferred with the project folder, or must one use the import command?

Some background on the systems that I am using:

Media Composer, v3.0, is running on Mac, version 10.5.5.

Avid Symphony Nitris (Nitris DNA Box), v3.0.5, is running on a PC. I do not know the exact details of this machine, but I do know that it is certified to be Avid compatible, as the entire post production facility that I am using was designed by Avid.

Thanks in advance for this question and have a great day!

• Thu, Nov 13 2008 6:45 AM In reply to

Re: Transferring Project from Media Composer v 3.0 to Symphony Nitris

Here's your problem: on Unity, there's a different file structure than on local drives.

On your local drive, it would have been X:/OMFI MediaFiles/, and on Unity it should be Y:/OMFI MediaFiles/CLIENT/. Look at other Unity partitions to find out what the network name of the Symph is, create a folder by that name, and paste your mediafiles into that folder.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 14 2008 9:14 PM In reply to

• ktornado87
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 5 2008
    • Savannah, GA, USA
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Thank you so much for your answer! Now, I have a follow up question:

I have transfered the project to the Symphony, but now I need to capture one additional tape, using the Media Composer. How do I take the media from that tape and import it into the existing project on the Symphony? What would be the best way to do this if it is not possible?

Thanks so much for your time!

kyle

• Tue, Nov 18 2008 4:37 PM In reply to

The ideal thing to do would be to capture on the Symphony.

If you can't do that, once you capture the media on the MC there are a few ways to move the media to the SN..

1. Use consolidate to to move the selected shots to a new drive
    2. Use "reveal file" to move the files at the explorer level
    3. Use a third party applike Media Mover or XDV Avid to move the shots
    4. DO NOT export QuickTimes, you lose meta data that way

Once you have the shots, you can either drag them into the MXF folder of your choice in the Avid mediaFiles folder, then use the media tool to grab the master clips (which is my preferred method) or you can straight import them, which will create new media for you. 

Media Composer 2019.11 Home-built Windows 10 Pro Asus Z87-A Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller