Latest post Thu, Oct 2 2008 11:20 PM by luca.mg. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 2 2008 7:18 PM

SLI bridged video cards

So we are upgrading our system, actually I am putting together a new one from scratch. anyway anyone have any experience with EVGA GeForce 9800 GT Superclocked Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV cards? I was planning on using two of them bridged. Any problems with avid? These should allow me to have perfect playback with HD correct? They will be on a EVGA nForce 780i SLI Motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Processor 2.66GHz OEM. I would like to get the order in ASAP. Anyone see any problems with these working with Avid?

Windows XP , Avid Express Pro v. 4.3.1 , QT v. 6.5 [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Oct 2 2008 8:32 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: SLI bridged video cards

So you do know that the configuration you are planning is, in no way, support by Avid. Right?

Not only is the Geforce line of cards not supported (There are folks here using them with Multithreading  disabled) but bridging compounds the problems. Avid has never tested or endorsed the config so, if you run into problems, look there first.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Oct 2 2008 8:55 PM In reply to

They will be on a EVGA nForce 780i SLI Motherboard 

.- Avid doesn't support that either.

At All.

And the chipset is by far the most crucial and risky choice in any Avid configuration, supported or not.

Use it at your own risk.

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Thu, Oct 2 2008 9:07 PM In reply to

EVGA GeForce 9800 GT Superclocked Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV cards? I was planning on using two of them bridged

.- I don't wanna sound rude, but Avid is not "Assasin's Creed"  or "Far Cry"

Nor is a 3D intensive app.

You won't see no improvement, speed or performance gain using SLI, whether you are using supported or unsupported video cards.

What you could find using SLI is unnecessary risks and possible trouble.

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Thu, Oct 2 2008 9:10 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Completely agree. There is no benefit to it and much risk.

Trust 'im...he knows.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Oct 2 2008 9:35 PM In reply to

Thats why I'm glad I asked before I ordered... I was having trouble finding a list of supported cards and chip sets... I switched the order to a PNY Quadro FX 1700 512MB... should be fine right? and where can I find supported mobos? I'd like to get this order in today so I can spend the weekend getting it together

Windows XP , Avid Express Pro v. 4.3.1 , QT v. 6.5 [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Oct 2 2008 11:19 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,815

DaviesRussell:
    I switched the order to a PNY Quadro FX 1700 512MB... should be fine right?

Right

DaviesRussell:
    and where can I find supported mobos?

There's not such a thing as a supported mobo! Just supported systems. Carefully read the system requirements on www.avid.com. Search the forum for Tyan, DIY, or by chipset or CPU. The I5400XT chipset should be a safe bet (same as the xw8600 if memory serves), and the now ageing Intel X38 chipset too (the same as in the supported xw4600 workstation). I successfully built an Avid uncertified/unsupported system with an Asus Maximus Formula X38 based motherboard: it's fit for old Mojo (with a Pyro card), but i doubt it would work with a Mojo DX. You can also peep into my sys specs if You whish, but If anything goes wrong please don't blame it on me Wink.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Oct 2 2008 11:20 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,815

This post has been edited because I double posted by mistake: the system displayed the following message:

Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error. Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too.

so I posted again: of course thabove message is not true as I can now see that my previous attempt went fine. I apologise for the waste of bits, if a Sys Admin wants to delete the message please feel free to do so.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller