Latest post Tue, Jul 15 2008 3:18 PM by Richard Ward. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 14 2008 10:52 PM

Workflow Question

My school has both Xpress Pro and Media Composer. My question is, do most producers just take what comes out of the Avid as the final product, or do they use timecode logs to do online tape to tape edits at a post house?

Sorry if this has been covered to death already -- I did a search of the site and it seemed that most offline/online postings didn't really answer this very basic question.

Thanks,

Richard

HP HPE-410t, Quad Intel Core i5 2.8GHz, 64 bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT 420, 1Tb system drive, 1Tb data drive [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 14 2008 10:59 PM In reply to

Re: Workflow Question

If the quality of the output from an Avid meets the clients deliverables specifications, then yes, directly out of Avid is OK.  If you need a higher quality than your Avid can produce, then an online would be necessary.

I don't think anybody is really doing taoe-to-tape anymore.  If you're onlining on an Avid, then you'd provide your final sequence in a bin to the online, and they'd simply open that, Decompose, and Batch Capture in hi-rez.

If you're onling on a non-Avid system, then you'd provide an EDL from the offline Avid.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Jul 15 2008 3:18 PM In reply to

Re: Workflow Question

Thanks, Randall. That's what I needed to know.

Richard

HP HPE-410t, Quad Intel Core i5 2.8GHz, 64 bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT 420, 1Tb system drive, 1Tb data drive [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller