Latest post Thu, Jul 10 2008 1:22 AM by Richard Burman. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 9 2008 5:29 PM

Working with 30p footage

Hello,

I am shooting some speculative footage in 30p for a possible documentary. The deliverables should be 1080/60i. I have chosen to shoot 30p thinking that it would edit well in a 1080/60i project. I have ran into two problems. The MC 2.8.3 software is giving me warnings that mixing progressive and interlace can cause problems. And because I was advised to transcode to DNxHD145 (since the footage comes from a EX1 camera) the progressive footage blows up to presumably twice the size effectively cropping out most of the picture. Transcoding 30p to uncompressed is fine but that generates large files. Transcoding 60i footage to DNxHD145 also works fine.

I want to shoot progressive. Shooting 24p pesents another set of problems although it is preferred because it is close to PAL.

How can I work with 30p footage?

Thank you
    Richard Burman

• Wed, Jul 9 2008 11:37 PM In reply to

Re: Working with 30p footage

Richard:
    Are you at a point where you could consider an upgrade to 3.0.1 with the new hardware? It allows mixing multiple resolutions and progressive and interlaced footage on one timeline. And it supports different native raster types as well.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jul 10 2008 1:22 AM In reply to

Re: Working with 30p footage

Larry,

Yes I found out about 3.0.1 today and will be doing some tests with my dealer. I don't have I/O hardware for now. I will be using full screen playback and hopefully with a third monitor once I figure out the procedure. I have an older HP 8000, 3 G of RAM, and a nVidia FX1100 display card.  I hope this will be enough for MC3.

Thank you for your reply.

Richard Burman

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller