Latest post Tue, Jul 8 2008 4:03 PM by tobyjt. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 7 2008 2:27 PM

• tobyjt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 2 2007
    • England
    • Posts 187
    • Points 2,165

Losing renders when moving clip even using trim mode

Hello, is this normal?

When I move a clip (even using trim mode with the trim 'handles' on the outside edges of the clip) in the timeline, which has an effect applied and rendered, I need to re-render the effect.....

WHY ? ..the precompute is still there and I haven't changed the length or the effect.

Is this normal and if so, is it still like this in MC3 ?

MacPro (3,1), Nvidia GTX 285, OS X 10.6.2, MC 3.1.3, QT 7.6.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 7 2008 2:32 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Losing renders when moving clip even using trim mode

Well, think about it. If you move the transition point, you have changed the viewable frames within the transition so, of course, the transition has to be re-rendered to reflect the new frames within it. So, this is completely normal and is that way in any NLE.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Jul 8 2008 10:09 AM In reply to

• tobyjt
    • Not Ranked
    • England
    • Posts 187
    • Points 2,165

Well, duh ....but I wasn't talking about transitions, I'm talking about EFFECTS (clips with effect(s) applied)

Moving in overwrite or insert mode usually loses the render, but I swear moving the clip/effect using trim tools used to keep the effect rendered.

MacPro (3,1), Nvidia GTX 285, OS X 10.6.2, MC 3.1.3, QT 7.6.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 8 2008 1:14 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Ok but same "DUH" applies. Whenever you are using the Trim tool you are, by definition, changing the displayed frames within the segment. The only exception to that would be when you are using the slide mode to move the entire segment. In all other cases, the frames within the segment are changed necessitating a new render.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jul 8 2008 1:22 PM In reply to

• tobyjt
    • Not Ranked
    • England
    • Posts 187
    • Points 2,165

well duh Stick out tongue but I WAS talking about slide mode (I described it as "using trim mode with the trim 'handles' on the outside edges of the clip"). I swear I didnt use to lose renders when doing this (but did with overwrite/insert tool). This is happening on a BCC effect..maybe that's the problem.

• Tue, Jul 8 2008 1:51 PM In reply to

Tobyit, BLKDOG is right. I often do the same slip slide trimming you refer to and re-rendering IS necessary, because you are, even if only slipping a single frame, changing the entire structure of the pre-computed file. I hope this helps you to understand what we're talking about.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jul 8 2008 1:57 PM In reply to

• tobyjt
    • Not Ranked
    • England
    • Posts 187
    • Points 2,165

Hmm.. I'm not talking about slipping, just moving the clip (with the effect) (not changing the in or out point of the clip...only moving it in the timeline)...so why cant I move a clip and retain the link to the render generated precompute!?

EDIT: I should have said....this is for a clip on an empty (top) track.

• Tue, Jul 8 2008 2:04 PM In reply to

tobyjt:
    Hmm.. I'm not talking about slipping, just moving the clip (with the effect) (not changing the in or out point of the clip...only moving it in the timeline)...so why cant I move a clip and retain the link to the render generated precompute!?

EDIT: I should have said....this is for a clip on an empty (top) track.

Hi,

What effect is on the clip?  What is on the track below?  If you're blending them in any way (superimpose, PiP, matte, etc) that'd cause the render to break if you move the clip on top.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Jul 8 2008 2:08 PM In reply to

tobyjt:
    I should have said....this is for a clip on an empty (top) track.

It becomes unrendered because of it's relationship to the layers and their content underneath the layer you're working on. By moving the clip to a different position in the timeline, there is now different content under that clip then there was in it's original position. Keep in mind that the order of rendering is V1 first, segment effects, then transition effects, then up to V2 and so on to the last video layer, and then audio effects. So a pre-compute rendered on V3 for example, will also contain the video information on V2 and V1 as a part of its file.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jul 8 2008 3:28 PM In reply to

• tobyjt
    • Not Ranked
    • England
    • Posts 187
    • Points 2,165

But this effect shouldn't affect the video track below.....I have a BCC Temporal Blur effect on the clip and a color correction. I am essentially trimming/extending filler to move the clip, so why am I losing that render? All I want to do is move it.

attached is a screen-grab of my timeline and the segment in question

• Tue, Jul 8 2008 3:34 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Because it's on V2. The only time the render will be maintained is if you are on V1. The Avid assumes a relationship between upper and lower racks, even if no actual composite is present.

• Tue, Jul 8 2008 4:03 PM In reply to

• tobyjt
    • Not Ranked
    • England
    • Posts 187
    • Points 2,165

Ah...so that's why it's not working!

silly Avid.....assuming there's relationships there.......imagine if Avid was a person....would they be paranoid? Big Smile

thanks for clearing this up, I've moved it to V1 and all is peachy.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller