Latest post Thu, Jun 12 2008 1:53 PM by Kevin Sio. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 6 2008 6:52 AM

• woodlab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 6 2008
    • Posts 5
    • Points 115

Is this too much product for me?

I'm in the market for some video editing software and I have educated myself to the point that I am considering Avid's Media Composer. That said, I am not a videographer nor am I in the video business whatsoever. I'm a home guy with some video editing to do. Granted, I would like to have a really good tool to use, but I also want to be able to use it effectively. Have I gone too far by considering this product? Should I be looking at the off-the-shelf programs from a big box store or is this product appropriate for the home prosumer as well as the professional?

After looking at some of the features and screenshots, I am beginning to feel like I'm kicking the tires on a bulldozer to do some lawn work. However, I will say that as a woodworker, I prefer to buy my tools once...not buy crappy, cheap tools to "learn" on and THEN go buy a quality tool. Is this approach not applicable to software?

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 7:17 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,736
    • Points 224,820
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Is this too much product for me?

Hello Woodlab,

I am sure there will be some helpful people who will give you helpful advice as to which programme can be of most value to you - although that will not be easy.

I, on the ther hand, will approach your question from a different angle.

Using high-end NLE's usually means the use of a dedicated computer system.
    If you already are using your computer for web browsing, playing some games and even doing your bookkeeping etc. you will have to consider the purchase of another computer with specifications that meet those required by Media Composer.

You can read more about that here:

http://www.avid.com/products/Media-Composer-Software/system-requirements.asp

So, it is not only "Is the software too much for you or not" it is also "am I willing to invest in a dedicated computer system to run the system on?"

Good luck with your final decision.

Regards,

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 9:42 AM In reply to

• Sasquatch
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Nottingham England
    • Posts 607
    • Points 7,220

Although I hate to discourage anyone from adopting MC as their editor of choice I suspect that there is an awful lot of functionality within MC that you would never use. 

For example one of the big advantages of MC is that it can work in a shared media and asset environment which would probably be of no interest to you as a home user.

However if cost is not an issue then why not buy the most widely used editors on the planet.  It is simple to learn and full of functionality.

There are other editor that might be better like FCP or Premier as they come with better colour correction and maybe I'm not sure better sound options.  Avid has different products used for finishing sound and vision,

Best of luck 

HP Z420 16gb FX 1500 MC 8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k extreme HP Z400 24gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Aja express HP Z400 16gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k... [view my complete system specs]

Mike Kruft. Nottingham, UK

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 11:17 AM In reply to

When the facility I work for started off a few years ago we also used cheaper systems, figuring that the type of work that we did at that stage didn't yet necesitate highly professional systems like Avids. Our computers were hand-built and the software off the shelf.  However, once we bought our first Avid we quickly realized that, even though it was very expensive (a shock even), once we learned to properly operate the system we were now able to compete for bigger projects and deliver higher quality work more efficiently.  Also, I soon realized that the support I as a user was getting was much better that what we got with the cheap systems.  I had less down time than with the cheater systems, and if I did run into problems I couldn't fix myself there were plenty of people I could call or email to get help.  Typically this forum is one of my number one sources of information when I run into trouble. I had no such resource when we were using smaller systems.  I guess the decision depends on what type of work you want to do with your system and plan to do in future.  For every job there's the right tool out there somewhere.

Avid Media Composer 2019.6 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 6 2008 4:20 PM In reply to

• woodlab
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 115

OK, so this may be a bad place for this question, but...what do I get with Avid that I don't get with one of the big-box products? I'm not playing devil's advocate, I'm really just ignorant to these products. Right now, I am primarily interested in stuff at home (kid's birthdays, recitals, picture slideshows, etc.) as we live fairly far from our extended family right now and it would be nice to send a DVD to my parents and in-laws. I am not going to make an indy flick or anything like that.

However, as I mentioned, I do teach woodworking classes and it WOULD be nice to be able to make a class video for "how-to" steps for the classes I teach. Again, not looking to make it a career, just thought it would be a nice-to-have for my students. I also do a lot of outdoor activities that I have been wanting to video and edit as well (I do bicycle racing and also do some horse riding too). 

What I'm afraid of is that even though the big-box products are less capable, they have been dumbed-down for people like me. I would hate to get a really great product and be unable to use it...essentially, I'm afraid of the Avid product. And given the projects I have in mind, I don't know if this product is going to be overkill and difficult to use (I'm guessing there aren't a lot of templates or wizards in Avid's product). Sorry to keep the questions going, but you all seem to be very knowledgable about Avid. Thanks in advance.  

PS: If anyone needs advice on woodworking projects or shop tools...I'd be glad to offer my area of expertise ;-)

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 4:30 PM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 3 2006
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 398
    • Points 5,455

woodlab - MCA is a very complicated program. I've been editing for 26 years and I've had an Avid for 1 year and I still feel like I have a lot to learn about. The "help" file is the worst written help file I've ever seen, so it's almost useless. FCP is easier, but still if you've never edited before, you're in for a steep learning curve. If I were you, I'd find a local event videotographer and just hire them when you want some video done. This busines is not as easy as the manufacturers would lead you to believe. MAYBE look at iMovie on a Mac, that's about the easiest to use, semi-decent consumer editing tool. Once you get used to that you can decide if you want to spend the dough on something more serios. Good luck.

MC 2018.10 w/Symphony option. NitrisDX, HP Z800 Dual 2.67Ghz, 500GB SSD, 96GB Ram, Nvidia M4000, BCC2019, Sapphire2019, TitlePro5, ProTools 10.5,Terrablock... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 4:44 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

I think MC would be too much.  There are no wizards in MC. 

I do some wood working for a hobby.  I have a small set of tools that allows me to complete small projects.  That said, I wouldn't purchase a lathe.  Since wood working is only a hobby, I don't have the time to dedicate to build up the skills to do good lathe work.  I think the same can be said for learning MC.  It's a very powerful program, but it takes a fair amount of time to become proficient at using the tool.  You might have a look at Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11, Adobe Premiere ELements or Roxio Easy Media Creator.  I haven't personally used any of these but they might be more suited to what you're looking for.  Of course on the Mac side there's iMovie.

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 6 2008 4:52 PM In reply to

Hi,

woodlab:
    what do I get with Avid that I don't get with one of the big-box products?

There are a lot of things you get, but for me one of the most important things is Media Composer's interface is customizable, so you can find a way of interacting with it that suits whatever your workflow is.  For example, when I'm working for a news broadcaster, I don't do as much effects work as I do for a commercial post house or sports broadcast, so I have different settings at each place (I'm a freelance editor) that allow me to be faster at the things I need to do.

The only consumer level software I've used is Windows Movie Maker.  It's fine for just playing around at home, but you're locked in to how its interface presents material and how you interact with it to get it to do what you want.  I assume most other big-box software is similar, and that the goal is to make it easy for anyone off the street to use rather than allow an editor to use it how he or she wants to to improve their efficiency.

woodlab:
    I would hate to get a really great product and be unable to use it...essentially, I'm afraid of the Avid product.

I understand, but I don't think there's anything for you to be afraid of.  There are lots of tutorials and books and DVDs available to help you get up to a basic level of proficiency, and that would allow you to edit the kind of projects you're talking about.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 4:52 PM In reply to

• woodlab
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 115

Thanks. I appreciate the recommendations. Does anyone here have experience with either of these products? I have a mac and a pc. Do any of these support HD?

• Pinnacle Studio 11
    • Adobe Premier Elements
    • Roxier Easy Media Creator
    • iMovie
    • Final Cut Express

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 4:55 PM In reply to

• editz
    • Not Ranked
    • Eugene, Oregon
    • Posts 190
    • Points 2,360

Fazz Powell:
    MCA is a very complicated program. I've been editing for 26 years and I've had an Avid for 1 year and I still feel like I have a lot to learn about.

I'm not sure I'd call it complicated, but yes, there are a lot of features that aren't as well documented or as intuitive as many of us would like.  There was a recent thread on the Avid-L2 about this.  You had true industry professionals exchanging tips and tricks with many saying, "I had no idea you could do it that way."

Some view that as poor software writing, others see it as having maximum flexibility to get things done.

As for OP and wanting to try out Avid.  Maybe you should actually try something "cheap" like iMovie or Sony Vegas first and see if you run into any creative limitations.  If you do, then maybe it would then be worth looking at Media Composer more closely.

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 5:01 PM In reply to

woodlab:
    Right now, I am primarily interested in stuff at home (kid's birthdays, recitals, picture slideshows, etc.)

For slide shows, you might find that windows movie maker will be sufficient.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 5:09 PM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 3 2006
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 398
    • Points 5,455

editz - It's just such a non-Windows standard interface, and like you said not intuitive at all. Once you get used to it, it's a blast, but I've spent around $3,000 in AVID certified training, read almost every book published, plus I've been editing on CMX/Abekas linear editor for 15 years and then Discreet for 11 years and I everyday I get totoally frustrated with MCA. For example, yesterday I wanted to change the time code start time in a sequence. I can't figure out how to do that to save my life. In Discreet it's so easy. And it's probably easy in MCA, if I can just find it in one of 10 places to look for it. Like someone said, we wouldn't go into a wood shop and start building a table, so this gentlemen should tred lightly and get some of the products folks here have mentioned, but to start with MCA as a first time editor, would be highly frustrating for anybody, ditto with FCP. I think your call on Vegas is a good one.

MC 2018.10 w/Symphony option. NitrisDX, HP Z800 Dual 2.67Ghz, 500GB SSD, 96GB Ram, Nvidia M4000, BCC2019, Sapphire2019, TitlePro5, ProTools 10.5,Terrablock... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 5:12 PM In reply to

Fazz Powell:
    yesterday I wanted to change the time code start time in a sequence. I can't figure out how to do that to save my life

Click on your record monitor and CTRL + I. You can now change the timecode number, and change from drop-frame to non-drop frame and vice versa.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 5:30 PM In reply to

• Sasquatch
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Nottingham England
    • Posts 607
    • Points 7,220

Larry that's funny!

MC is easy try 3d or even 2d, editors! huh :) 

Woodman If you can get an express pro HD software on ebay have a go with that you'll soon pick it up, very intuitive if you read the manual.

HP Z420 16gb FX 1500 MC 8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k extreme HP Z400 24gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Aja express HP Z400 16gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k... [view my complete system specs]

Mike Kruft. Nottingham, UK

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 5:36 PM In reply to

Sasquatch:
    If you can get an express pro HD software on ebay have a go with that you'll soon pick it up,

Mike: You read my mind and bet me to it!Geeked

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller