Latest post Tue, Jun 10 2008 7:41 PM by nicov. 74 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 6 2008 3:54 AM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

Re: The month of June...

P.S.

I am overjoyed to hear that the MC 3 will be released Monday. Will the Symphony Nitris DX also be released on Monday?

Thanks

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 5:05 AM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

TCurren:

Has it occurred to you that they may be planning more feature sets added that will widen the gap between the two systems? 

Dunno Terry.  Maybe 12 flying boxes (no drop shadow)?  :-)

Ya think you add all these great features after you devalue the product?  Of course it IS the Avid marketing department, so maybe that answer is yes...

but certainly Symph as it stands is not worth $20k more than MC for the color corrector alone, would you agree?

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 5:33 AM In reply to

Symphony is being sold as a turnkey system with CPU and monitors.  that's half the difference in the price from Media Composer right there.  as i understand it turnkey systems for Media composer start at around $24,000.

so it is roughly $11k for the advanced color correction and universal mastering, not the $20k  figure people keep throwing around.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 10:55 PM In reply to

Is it possible to get the Symphony without the CPU and Monitors? Seeing as how I want to build my own systems, that are actually above spec.

Dell XPS 8300 - 3.4GHz Quad-Core with Hyper Threading (i7-2600) - 8GB RAM - 1 TB hard drive - ATI Radeon HD 5670 - Windows 7 Ultimate - Sound Blaster X... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 6 2008 11:01 PM In reply to

Hey everyone, here's a video demostrating the new products.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jun 6 2008 11:47 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:
    Hey everyone, here's a video demostrating the new products.
    Thanks for the link Larry and thanks for the content AlphaDogs.

• Sat, Jun 7 2008 6:21 AM In reply to

Andrew McCarrick:

Is it possible to get the Symphony without the CPU and Monitors? Seeing as how I want to build my own systems, that are actually above spec.

I highly doubt it.  Avid is really sensitive about having non-qualified workstations as the backbone of their flagship products.  If you start getting errors and playback problems you'll likely get a "You're running Symphony on a WHAT?  no wonder it's not working right.  Buy an HP and we'll talk." *Click*

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Sat, Jun 7 2008 8:58 AM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
    • Posts 1,658
    • Points 19,845

FunkyDragon:

Symphony is being sold as a turnkey system with CPU and monitors.  that's half the difference in the price from Media Composer right there.  as i understand it turnkey systems for Media composer start at around $24,000.

so it is roughly $11k for the advanced color correction and universal mastering, not the $20k  figure people keep throwing around.

According to the innitial press relese;

Symphony Nitris DX with HP XW8600, $36 000, or €27 000

Media Composer Nitris DX with HP8600, $22 000. or €17 000

That is a different of $14 000 or €10 000.

I think this is a Lexus vs Toyota case. You have a top high margin mark there You can introduce the extras and some years later, depends on demand and competition, You can introduce them to the Corollas.

HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 7 2008 2:24 PM In reply to

FunkyDragon:

I highly doubt it.  Avid is really sensitive about having non-qualified workstations as the backbone of their flagship products.  If you start getting errors and playback problems you'll likely get a "You're running Symphony on a WHAT?  no wonder it's not working right.  Buy an HP and we'll talk." *Click*

Okay... do you think they'd be willing to certify a custom made system? Cause I'm talking a computer with specs like:

4 Quad Core 3.0GHz (Overclocked to the next to highest stable speed)

32GB of Mem.

NVidia Quadro FX5600

And was hoping to add on a nVidia Tesla and Quadro Plex, but apparently they would have to code in support for that to work.

Dell XPS 8300 - 3.4GHz Quad-Core with Hyper Threading (i7-2600) - 8GB RAM - 1 TB hard drive - ATI Radeon HD 5670 - Windows 7 Ultimate - Sound Blaster X... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 7 2008 2:36 PM In reply to

Andrew McCarrick:
    Okay... do you think they'd be willing to certify a custom made system?

There would be too many combinations to qualify DIY boxes. It does not mean they dont work (look at my specs). I just don't think Avid will be qualifying them any time soon.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 7 2008 5:34 PM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:

Andrew McCarrick:
    Okay... do you think they'd be willing to certify a custom made system?

There would be too many combinations to qualify DIY boxes. It does not mean they dont work (look at my specs). I just don't think Avid will be qualifying them any time soon.

Like Dom says, too many variables to test, but go ahead and DIY... Just don't expect Avid to jump through hoops to troubleshoot your system.

they've been really fogiving in the Xpress DV/Pro qualifications, and slightly less so in the Media Composer applications. (Mojo)

but it would not supprise me if they drew hard lines with the DX products like they did with Meridan systems.  If you didn't buy it from a qualified vendor, you're on your own. 

Frankly i agree Symphony should be sold only as turnkey.  One product, one price, and one place to go for your technical needs.  Plus, HP offers 3 years on-site service, and Avid's 1-year-next-day hardware swap policy has served me well when i have needed it. (be sure to keep your computer store reciepts)

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Sat, Jun 7 2008 6:51 PM In reply to

FunkyDragon:

Like Dom says, too many variables to test, but go ahead and DIY... Just don't expect Avid to jump through hoops to troubleshoot your system.

they've been really fogiving in the Xpress DV/Pro qualifications, and slightly less so in the Media Composer applications. (Mojo)

but it would not supprise me if they drew hard lines with the DX products like they did with Meridan systems.  If you didn't buy it from a qualified vendor, you're on your own. 

Frankly i agree Symphony should be sold only as turnkey.  One product, one price, and one place to go for your technical needs.  Plus, HP offers 3 years on-site service, and Avid's 1-year-next-day hardware swap policy has served me well when i have needed it. (be sure to keep your computer store reciepts) 

Okay, then Media Composer it is.....I've never liked HP computers, so I'll just go with MC Nitris DX. Not to mention I'm going to be working out of my house, so I wouldn't want on-site service at all.

• Sat, Jun 7 2008 7:28 PM In reply to

I've never liked HP computers

That seems weird to me. If you are going for a SNDX, you are getting yourself an editing system. The fact that it runs on a computer is barely relevant, IMHO. Also, I've not ever regretted using an HP workstation.

But if you feel more comfortable on a different computer, I guess going MCDX is a valid option.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 7 2008 9:48 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,755

I used to be a Mac only guy. Forced into Windows NT land with the original Symphony. Now, with XP vs. OSX, the differences are negligible. And when I'm editing, they are nonexistent. 

So that leaves the hardware. Any time I have had an issue with the HPs, some guy shows up the next day and replaces all the parts. Problem solved.

Every time I've had a problem with the Macs, I have to take it and leave it at the Mac store or ship it back to Apple. They won't guarantee that anything on my hard drives will return to me. they won't guarantee a time frame for return. And unless I paid for the extra insurance, they are only covered for one year as opposed to HPs three years.

The remaining factor is performance. Since Apple historically hasn't played as nicely with Avid as HP or Compaq has, the better performance seems to always go with the PC side. That may be changing, but it probably means buying a new computer every year or two as that seems to be Apple's model of business. You know, the new processor, motherboard, PCI? slot, etc. has changed and nothing old will work as well, if at all, anymore...

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Sat, Jun 7 2008 9:56 PM In reply to

TCurren:
    but it probably means buying a new computer every year or two as that seems to be Apple's model of business. You know, the new processor, motherboard, PCI? slot, etc. has changed and nothing old will work as well, if at all, anymore...
    Facts to often overlooked (IMO)in the rush to be "cool" Wink

Page 4 of 5 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller