Latest post Tue, Jun 10 2008 7:41 PM by nicov. 74 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 3 2008 4:44 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

Re: The month of June...

BLKDOG:

Well I'm sure that resellers will be happy to take a pre-order Brick'. Have you contacted one?

I know they would be very happy to. Do you think if I did, there would be a better chance that there'd be one with my name on it the day it comes out?

Thanks

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Tue, Jun 3 2008 9:33 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

Brickwad:

switthaus:

Wait for the DS release before you buy!  ;-)

Are you able to expand on that? Something in the pipeline I should know about?

no, I really can't (NDA) but I think everyone will be very impressed with the next couple releasesof DS.   If you can wait, it would be nice to make the feature comparison for your workflow.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Wed, Jun 4 2008 3:22 AM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

switthaus:
    If you can wait, it would be nice to make the feature comparison for your workflow

Man, I HATE to wait (as you can probably tell from my previous posts.) I was planning on buying two of the Nitris DX boxes . .maybe I'll get one, and wait as long as I can bear to for the DS release.  The other thing I really hate to do is buy something and find out I should have waited just a little bit longer. I was 2-4 weeks too early with my last 3 Mac purchases. It frustrates the H**L out of me.
    I'm sorry . .end of rant . .

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Wed, Jun 4 2008 1:20 PM In reply to

• MIkeFilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 24 2006
    • Posts 262
    • Points 3,500

I've been using Avid's subcaps from V5.7.5 and it's full of bugs.

Hopefully they fix the problems.

You can even set your texts to italics.

Mike

• Wed, Jun 4 2008 1:32 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Mike, the version erroneously sent with x.7.5 was not ready to be included in the code. Hence, the problems you are seeing and the reason it was pulled from x.8/.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Jun 4 2008 1:37 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

heard that...especially in this business.  There is always something better and cheaper coming out if you wait, but then, something better and cheaper will be coming out again....and so it goes...

Scott Witthaus

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 6:09 AM In reply to

As announced last night at the Avid New Thinking Demo in Washington, here are the prices:

Media Composer Soft   $2,495.00

Media Composer Mojo DX   $9,995.00

Media Composer Nitris DX   $14,995.00

Symphony Nitris DX   $35,995.00

Avid DS Nitris   $99,995.00

{EDIT} And a quote from CEO Gary Greenfield, "Avid intends to undercommit and over-deliver."

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 6:33 AM In reply to

Although those prices infer it, is the Nitris DX available at $12,500 as a stand-alone purchase?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 8:18 AM In reply to

Randall, no mention at all was made last night about Nitris DX being available as a stand-alone purchase. But I'm curious, how would you propose it be used that way?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 9:17 AM In reply to

Larry Rubin:
    But I'm curious, how would you propose it be used that way?
    Lets see..... How about

1: Upgrade one of the spare versions of Pro around here to MC3 for $395 (download) and add Nitris DX for $12.5K and achieve a tidy $2.1K saving.

2: Upgrade the other Pro To MC soft for $395 and add the Adrenaline HD to it saving $700 on each MCA upgrade.

3: Leave MCA as MC soft at 2.8 for offline and dont pay the rip off $995 MCA upgrade at all

for starters.

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 9:35 AM In reply to

"... how would you propose it be used that way?"

1) As an upgrade from MC Soft.

2) As a way to split out the Symphony Nitris license from a Dual-Boot DS Nitris system.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 12:00 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

Hey Larry -

thanks for the info.  At least they mentioned DS as part of the editorial product line at this event.  While still a bit redundant with Symphony and MC, this is getting to be a nice strong product offering.

Questions for you.  At $7500, the Mojo DX seems pretty pricey, seeing that with another $4k you can go MC/Nitris DX.  Did the Avid folk make mention of who they see as the market for the Mojo DX?  What exactly does Mojo DX give you that makes it a value at $7500 when compared with the competition (of course Avid is cornering the market on IO for its own products, which could be a good thing)?

Also, was there any mention of the huge price gap between DS and Symphony?  Granted, they just devalued Symphony a bunch, but was there any feature or market justification for the $60,000 difference? DS is still much cheaper than a comparable Smoke system, but I was wondering if there was any talk about this huge price gap.  And on this same line, did they make a clear case for the unique features in Symphony over MC to justify the $20k difference?  I mean, is the color correction worth that much (I don't personally care about 11 flying boxes in real time)?

Thanks again.  Unfortunately I could not make the ride up I-95 last night to see this in person (plus we had those same storms you all did up in NOVA/DC, so travel was iffy at best) but it sounds like it was a good meeting.

Scott Witthaus

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 2:35 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,650

I was at an event in Indianapolis on Tuesday where I got a look at MC 3 with the Nitris DX.  The Avid rep there said that Nitris wasn't available for purchase without the Media Composer software...yet.  It's 15K, Media Composer included.

It will be a huge screw up on Avid's part, in my opinion, if they refuse to sell the hardware without the sofware.  If you already own MC, you don't likely need another copy...you just need the hardware for $2,500 less.

Otherwise, it was a nice demo.  Looks like Avid's really looking to improve their product, and watching 6 streams of HD playback without a hiccup was impressive. 

Michael.

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 3:28 PM In reply to

Hi, Scott:

Last night's event had 2 systems set up: Media Composer DX Nitris on a Mac platform and Symphony Nitris DX on a Windows platform. The Mojo DX box was there, but there was no Media Composer Mojo DX platform. After getting a close look at both the DX and Mojo boxes, I've come away with the impression that Mojo is a scaled back version of the Nitris, rather than being an upgraded analog Mojo SDI. The marketing focus for Mojo is for users who want the improved performance but don't need the extended analog inputs and outputs. The only analog connections on the Mojo box are 1/4 phone plugs for audio in and out. That's it. Without a Mojo DX platform to play with, I can't address how it would compare to Nitris in performance, but I see little difference between the two other than the analog capability.

I have to say that DS Nitris was mentioned only in passing, as in "if you need to do high end finishing work with complex compositing..."  No time was spent comparing Symph and DS - the focus was really on Composer and Symphony.  Sitting down and working with them, I can say that I believe the system response and performance is virtually the same between the two.  However, where Symphony REALLY shines is the color correction tool. In Media Composer the color correction tool is NOT the Symphony tool with some features disabled, as was done with XPRO.  Rather, the Symphony tool has MANY more layers of adjustment capabilities that go much deeper than Composer, including selective color blending, spot color that allows for multiple regions of correction to be defined in a single color correction effect and much more. In this incarnation, it's really getting very close to DaVinci capabilities. I was very impressed with it.  If color grading, shading, and clean up of very messed up footage is important to you, then Symphony is definitely the way to go.

Now, that being said I will also say this. If you're working in HD and you need multiple streams of HD playback in real time with effects unrendered playing through a timeline with multiple resolutions without so much as a hiccup, then Mojo or Nitris DX is for you. If, on the other hand, you are still working in SD, it's hard to justify the upgrade from Composer Adrenaline, because from what I saw as I played with it, Nitris DX and Composer Adrenaline system performance and response seem to be about the same. However, there has been a BIG improvement in the audio suite plug-in interface - it much closer resembles ProTools' interface, with virtual knobs instead of sliders, 7 band parametric EQ, and most importantly, we're almost at realtime updating during previews while adjusting - there's still some latency, but FAR better than the ka-chunk ka-chunk of the current preview playback loops. You can actually hear what you're doing just a fraction behind doing it.

But beyond the equipment demo, I was very impressed with Gary Greenfield, the CEO. His presentation focused on listening to you, the user. "And we've heard you", he said. "You have told us 'When I turn it on, I want it to work' ". The main focal points for the future of these products will be stability and reliability taking priority over the introduction of new features. I was very relieved to hear these words coming from the mouth of the CEO. I also had the opportunity to have a one on one conversation with him, and found him a very approachable and sincere individual who is more than happy to hear any input or criticism you have to offer. For example, I mentioned to him the fact that searching the knowledge base for a specific error message that the platform generates more often than not yields no results. He agreed with me that all error messages searched on the knowledge base should result in an easily understood explanation of the problem, the cause for it and the solution. This will happen, but it will take some time to get organized and coalesce. Perhaps we can start a thread to which all can contribute when they get an error message and have a solution, to help the process along.

Overall, I came away with the impression that Avid has turned an important corner involving focusing on the user's needs and wants, and steering the R & D in those directions. While it does appear that the prices are pretty much set and not going to change (I could be wrong about that, so don't hold me to it), I firmly believe that Avid has the right person at the helm, and the course is set in the right direction toward the right destination - customer satisfaction.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 4:00 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

Thanks Larry -

Makes me wonder if Avid would not be smart to kill the Symphony, but keep the color correction module as an optional add-on for folks who buy MC/NDX.  That would consolidate the product line further and allow the folks who need that CC power the ability to buy just that, and not have to buy the entire redundant editing software package...interesting.

Scott Witthaus

Page 2 of 5 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller