Latest post Tue, Apr 15 2008 6:49 PM by Red Ochre. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 15 2008 6:03 PM

• Red Ochre
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 27 2006
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 335
    • Points 4,230

XD cam and FTP

We're working on a series with a very short turn around time and I have an idea of how to make it go faster but am not sure if it would work.

My thinking is that if we shot XDCAM in the field durring the day we could upload the proxies to an FTP site at night. Meanwhile, back on the Ponderosa...our AE's would download the media to our edit bays and log etc. A producer and editor could begin editing/writing the shows before the shoot is even done.

Would this possibly work? We average about 6 hrs. of footage in a day w/ 25 hrs per half hour episode. Seems to me that we would need some kind of satelite phone or other device to ensure a good connection no matter where we shot. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• Tue, Apr 15 2008 6:19 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: XD cam and FTP

One problem to be aware of. There is currently a problem in Avid's XDCam workflow that assumes that the Proxies and the High-res files will not be separated after capture. So, if you bring  in the proxies from one source and then, later, bring in the high res files from a different source, the Avid is unable to point it's batch capture to the high res files.

Avid is working on it.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Apr 15 2008 6:49 PM In reply to

• Red Ochre
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 27 2006
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 335
    • Points 4,230

Re: XD cam and FTP

Thanks for the heads up BLKDOG. I'll keep it front and center in my mind.

Have you ever heard of anybody working this way?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller