Latest post Thu, Jun 12 2008 12:59 PM by Larry Rubin. 251 replies.
Page 1 of 17 (252 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 15 2008 11:53 AM

Media Composer V3.0

When will it be availablle and where is the ReadMe?

MC 7.0 Symphony 7.0 Win 7 64bit 1 x XW 8600 quad 16gig ram 480gig SSD FX 5400 4 1tb 32 mb cache drives Pro tools 10 Avid fx Avid 3d Matrox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 15 2008 12:02 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

Re: Media Composer V3.0

from this site

The new HD systems are expected to be available in Q2 2008

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Tue, Apr 15 2008 12:14 PM In reply to

• Swil
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Australia
    • Posts 498
    • Points 6,455

Readme won't be available for a while yet.

3.40GHz Core i7-2600K | 24Gb RAM | GeForce GTX 660 Ti | Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor | Presonus AudioBox 22VSL | Windows 10 because I'm mad like... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 15 2008 12:28 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Avid is Hoping (Please notice the emphasis on the word hoping) to roll out the new hardware and software in June.

No firm release date, just a target date so don't go gettin' all in a twist if that date slips.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Apr 15 2008 1:03 PM In reply to

Sorry, but that is the kind of thing that needs to be changed in this "New Thinking" era.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 15 2008 1:23 PM In reply to

• sonpit
    • Not Ranked
    • Pittsburgh, PA.
    • Posts 8
    • Points 145

BLKDOG,

I just purchased the Xpress Pro upgrade to MC (2.8.1) last week. Have you heard or do you think they will charge me again for an upgrade to 3.0?

Sonny

• Tue, Apr 15 2008 1:38 PM In reply to

Hi Sonny,

No announcement yet on what the upgrade pricing will be, and we're not allowed to speculate on these forums, so no "I heard it's going to be X dollars to upgrade" or "I think it's going to be X dollars" either.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2019.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Apr 15 2008 1:50 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

sonpit:

I just purchased the Xpress Pro upgrade to MC (2.8.1) last week. Have you heard or do you think they will charge me again for an upgrade to 3.0?

Me 2

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Tue, Apr 15 2008 2:16 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

I have no idea. I have no idea if there is even going to BE an upgrade price. However, if this does roll out in June then I would expect that you would have to purchase the upgrade just like the rest of us (If there is an upgrade price). We all made the purchase to upgrade just as you did, I would hope that having the software for two months didn't preclude you from paying whatever upgrade price there may be. 

Now (Here goes the speculation...gonna have to moderate myself), if Avid follows through with the grace period policy they have applied to the MC update, then you may have a time-period that Grandfathers you into the new update. I don't know, nobody does. So, let's just sit back and wait. Any more speculation about this and we're gonna have to lock this thread.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Apr 15 2008 2:21 PM In reply to

• sasfog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Bristol United Kingdom
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,935

Me too,

I have no problem with being  charged for the upgrade, but will be pretty miffed if people with AXP get to upgrade to version 3 for the same I paid to upgrade to 2.8 and then I get charged ontop of the amount for the same product.

I would like to think the fair route is for 3.0 to be only available as an upgrade from 2.8 - that way everyone upgrading from AXP gets charged the same.

That way lies happiness.

HP Z400 6 Core Intel Xeon W3680 3.33GHz 6GB memory NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB PCIe graphics card MC6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 15 2008 3:04 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,650

I disagree.  I have AXP and I plan on sitting on it until we hear more from Avid, just like I have for the last few months.  It's not even a recent version of AXP.  It's 5.2.4.

In the meantime, others have paid their upgrades and have been taking advantage of the new features.  Just last week I really could have used Spectramatte, and the BCC effects would have been nice too, but since I'm likely to get the green light for only 1 update this year, I'm waiting to see if I can go straight to 3.0.  In the meantime, I don't have all the extra functionality you do because I haven't paid for it. 

Hopefully there will be no upgrade fee or a reasonable one to go from 2.8 to 3.0, but just because you took the plunge early doesn't mean others should be locked out from it. 

Michael.

• Tue, Apr 15 2008 3:46 PM In reply to

Butcher:

I disagree.  I have AXP and I plan on sitting on it until we hear more from Avid, just like I have for the last few months.  It's not even a recent version of AXP.  It's 5.2.4.

In the meantime, others have paid their upgrades and have been taking advantage of the new features.  Just last week I really could have used Spectramatte, and the BCC effects would have been nice too, but since I'm likely to get the green light for only 1 update this year, I'm waiting to see if I can go straight to 3.0.  In the meantime, I don't have all the extra functionality you do because I haven't paid for it. 

Hopefully there will be no upgrade fee or a reasonable one to go from 2.8 to 3.0, but just because you took the plunge early doesn't mean others should be locked out from it. 

Michael.

HEAR! HEAR!

Follow me at www.twitter.com/redarrowryan Avid 1- z400 6-Core, with Nitris DX Symphony 6.0.3 Win 7 64 Bit [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 15 2008 4:03 PM In reply to

• sasfog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Bristol United Kingdom
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,935

I take your point but don't really agree.

OK so you're not using the extra functionallity now like Spectramatte because you haven't paid for it, that's fine. But are you suggesting that just because you don't need it now you shouldn't pay for it when you do?

All I know is that it is out of our hands and from past experience Avid seem to have imposed restrictions on upgrades and on many occassions people running older versions of AXP have had to go throw a couple of upgrades and pay for them when they want to run on a newer version

Meanwhile I'm going to put off buying my new car 'cause I don't really need it this week and maybe next week I can have it for freeBig Smile

Only kidding

Graham

HP Z400 6 Core Intel Xeon W3680 3.33GHz 6GB memory NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB PCIe graphics card MC6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 15 2008 4:17 PM In reply to

• jasperfdo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 11 2006
    • Santa Monica
    • Posts 671
    • Points 8,845

Michael:

You are totally correct.  I would love to make the leap to MC right now, but also want to wait and see what happens.  If you have the patience to wait you should be rewarded - just like with Adobe products.  You can be on like Photoshop 5 and still upgrade to the latest stuff for a great price.

MacBook Pro Retina / El Capitan / 16GB RAM / G-Studio Drive System / Media Composer 8.6.x [view my complete system specs]

kyler boudreau | www.theatereleven.com

• Tue, Apr 15 2008 4:36 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,650

sasfog:
    Meanwhile I'm going to put off buying my new car 'cause I don't really need it this week and maybe next week I can have it for freeBig Smile

Big Smile I appreciate that! 

I understand that, in the past, if you waited a few cycles to upgrade it got progressively more expensive, but that's typically within a product group.  Right now you can upgrade from any version of Xpress Pro to Media Composer--any version of Xpress Pro! 

I see no reason for them to change that simply because Media Composer gets an update.  Right now it could be considered unfair that folks with Xpress Pro 4.0 can upgrade to MC for the same price as those with 5.8.  Shouldn't the older versions cost more to upgrade?  Probably, but they don't, and that's really cool on Avid's part.  Hopefully they'll continue to be cool and the upgrade to MC 3.0 will be reasonable or free for those who upgraded immediately from Xpress Pro.

Time will tell.  In the meantime, enjoy your MC and I'll curse at my Xpress Pro!  Big Smile

Michael

PS.  If you figure out how to get a free car, please let me know.  My wife wants a hybrid, but I don't want the payments.

Page 1 of 17 (252 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller