Latest post Tue, Apr 15 2008 7:44 AM by Job ter Burg. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 14 2008 5:51 PM

• lmerino
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 19 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 326
    • Points 4,405

Is MC Software technically "offline"

I've been editing on Avid for a few years now, but to answer a question I going to just play like I never have.

In the press releases for the new components, the description for MC-software reads
    "Media Composer software – For independent or mobile film and video editors looking for a portable offline editing solution with support for file-based editing"

Why is it being marketed as "offline?" 

If I'm editing dvcproHD material off of P2 cards, am i editing only offline quality? 

Do they call it offline because it cannot play back through any analog output?

Do they call it offline cuzz they want you to think you need a mojo/nitris box?

Thanks

Avid Certified HP Z820 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 14 2008 6:05 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,650

Re: Is MC Software technically "offline"

lmerino:
    If I'm editing dvcproHD material off of P2 cards, am i editing only offline quality?

No, unless you transcode the DVCProHD files to an offline resolution, like 14:1.

lmerino:

Do they call it offline because it cannot play back through any analog output?

Perhaps.  Because it's software only you can use it to do your initial edit, lock picture, then take it to a Symphony for the online (color correction, etc...) and output.

lmerino:

Probably.  But unless you're able to stay with a file-based workflow all way way to final delivery, you'll eventually need some hardware to drop your stuff to tape.  Hence the hardware options.  Plus, it sounds like the hardware may actually assist with crunching effects and stuff, unlinke the Adrenaline and Mojo (which don't, contrary to popular belief).

Michael.

• Mon, Apr 14 2008 6:49 PM In reply to

It's not about that, it is about targeting their product. Someone in offline will not be capturing or playing out material very often, and is not likely to be tweaking images as often and as intensive as someone in 'online'/finishing will be.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 14 2008 9:28 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,665
    • Points 47,035
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Offline editing refers to the initial editing processing (edit to rough) whereas online refers to the finish editing (full-quality effects, transitions, color correction, etc.) You wouldn't edit your 4K move in an offline editing suite. You'd edit the proxies for the movie, then make an EDL and shove that over to the online editing suite.

In the online editing suite, you'd conform the video, apply the EDL, do the color correction, add finish quality effects, titles, etc.

So it has nothing to do really with the capture and playout hardware. You could have the ability to capture and playout the 4K clips in MC but it would still be designated as an offline editor.

Another way of looking at it: the offline editor is where you do all the real work of editing. The online editor has all the buttons and lights suitable for a starship and is the one you show your clients while making the final tweaks with his input. Big Smile

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Apr 15 2008 7:44 AM In reply to

The division is a thing of the past, of course.

BTW: by your logic, Nitris DX would do 4K, quod non. The difference between the Avid products is the amount of I/O and RT power they come with. Then at the top you can spend 14K on a color corrector and Universal Mastering for Symphony software.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller