Latest post Sat, Mar 22 2008 4:43 PM by AndrewAction. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 22 2008 8:25 AM

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,267
    • Points 231,925
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Simple Mathematics - Is this correct?

Having fun with learning MC and now I would liketo ask some of those simple and basic questions that puzzle me.

To illustrate the questions let us theoretically assume that I have a project and have captured 5 clips.
    Each clip is 50MB in size.

1. I have 5 clips at 50MB so do I have 250MB on my hard drive?

2. I make edits and place subclips on a timeline. After that do I still have only 250MB on my harddrive? As the subcips are only "scriptfile references" to the captured clips?

3. If I have now a timeline with 5 subclips @ 20MB each and I do a VIDEO MIXDOWN.... do I now have 250MB plus 100MB on my harddrive?

4. If I am happy with my final MIXDOWN (+ an audio mixdown) can I safely delete all of the original captured files. Leaving me the 100MB mixdown on the harddrive?

In this simple maths example I am not including the smaller sized scriptfiles etc. I am just doing a rough estimate of the larger files.

Am I on the right tracks?

Regards,

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Mar 22 2008 8:45 AM In reply to

Re: Simple Mathematics - Is this correct?

2+2=YesBig Smile

MC 7.0 Symphony 7.0 Win 7 64bit 1 x XW 8600 quad 16gig ram 480gig SSD FX 5400 4 1tb 32 mb cache drives Pro tools 10 Avid fx Avid 3d Matrox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 22 2008 8:46 AM In reply to

Hi Douglas,

The answer to all of your questions is yes.  You are definitely on the right track.

good luck,

Carl

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Mar 22 2008 8:51 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,267
    • Points 231,925
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thank you, Gentlemen!

Regards,

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Mar 22 2008 11:42 AM In reply to

drbgaijin:
    2. I make edits and place subclips on a timeline. After that do I still have only 250MB on my harddrive? As the subcips are only "scriptfile references" to the captured clips?

Yes, the subclips are just pointer files and add no additonal media on your media drives. They point back to the media captured for the original master clip. But, if you have added and then rendered effects, title clips and imported matte key clips, you now have some additional megs or gigs to add to the total. But generally speaking, the sequence file is just that - a pointer file - and occupies no additional space on your media drive.

Regarding mixdowns, I always find it safe to keep an original version of the sequence the mixdown was made from should there need to be changes made somewhere down the road. I want to maintain access to the clip constructed timeline. To save on space, you can create a consolidated version of your final timeline and then delete "non-relative" media from your project. Or you could do a decompose of the final sequence.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Mar 22 2008 12:15 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:
    Regarding mixdowns, I always find it safe to keep an original version of the sequence the mixdown was made from should there need to be changes made somewhere down the road.
    DITTO. Hard drives are cheap. Save the original media that created the mixdown.

MC 7.0.2 iMac 4Ghz Intel Core i7 OSX 10.10.3, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, AMD radeon R9 M295X 4096MB, Retina 5k 27" + Dell 24", Flanders Scientific LM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 22 2008 4:43 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:
    I always find it safe to keep an original version of the sequence the mixdown was made from should there need to be changes made somewhere down the road.
    Ditto. With the speed of doing a mixdown on todays computers I most often delete the mixdown if space is an issue

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller