Latest post Tue, Aug 26 2008 5:44 AM by BobbyMurcerFan. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 16 2008 9:10 AM

AXP/MC + DS Assist Station for Offline Work?

I have AXP and am considering adding DS Assist Station to my workflow.

I am working on a documentary that I hope will get picked up theatrically. (Realistic? Probably not, but there is enough of a chance that I have to plan for things like online finishing and film out.)

So my thinking is to cut and do some basic post work in AXP or MC, but then use DS to finish as much as I can. The result would be a DS project which (in theory) would have much of the finishing completed which I could then give to a post house. I am hoping the finishing would be significantly cheaper than if I gave an AXP or MC project.

I realize there is also the possiblity of using Boris Red or After Effects. But I imagine that any color correction or finishing done in AE would for my eyes only and DVD/tape out. Since I assume that while the AXP or MC project will be used by the post house the AE work would be wholely ignored. I'm not sure about Boris.

The highest band width I would be editing would be uncompressed 1080 X 1920 24P. But mostly a lot of HDV.

Does it make sense for someone to use a combination of AXP or MC to cut and DS Assist Staton to essentially pre-finish?

Thanks VERY MUCH for your insights!

P.S. I realize that DSAS would require a new, 64 bit computer.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sun, Mar 16 2008 6:04 PM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,450
    • Moderator: Avid DS
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Re: AXP/MC + DS Assist Station for Offline Work?

I've seen a couple of DS users with this setup post on the DS-L. They seem to have had great success. The only question I would have,  is whether or not to put it on the same partition? The user who had the Assist on the same partition, was running Adrenaline. He stated he was able to have both softwares open at the same time. The user who had a seperate partition, had a Mojo SDI. Here's a link to a DSAS story on Dig Content Producer with someone grading films using DSAS. http://digitalcontentproducer.com/mil/hotware/video_avid_ds_assist_0101/

You can download a trial version of the DS Assist from here http://www.avid.com/forms/info.asp?iTrackingID=WEBDSASSIST and give it a try. With an AJA Xena LE card, you can even get monitor outputs. Here's the config sheet for DSAS
    Dual-Processor *
    - Intel Pentium 4 Xeon
    - AMD Opteron dual-core
    RAM
    - 2 GB (Windows XP 32-bit)
    - 4 GB or more (Windows XP 64-bit)
    Graphics card *
    - Wildcat 6210
    - ATI FireGL X1
    - ATI FireGL X2
    - nVidia Quadro FX 3400
    - nVidia Quadro FX 3450
    Monitor
    - SVGA supporting 1280 by 1024 display resolution (dual monitor suggested)
    Network
    - Gigabit Ethernet adapter
    Operating system
    - Windows XP Professional (x86)
    - Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (recommended for best performance)

Qualified Laptop (New):

- HP nw9440 Mobile Workstation with FX1500M graphics and 2 GB of RAM
    This laptop has been tested and can be used as a standalone Avid DS Assist Station to prepare effects work for other Avid DS Workgroup clients, or even other Avid editorial products. This laptop has not yet been tested for local storage, or shared storage solution such as Avid Unity ISIS.

You stated, "The highest band width I would be editing would be uncompressed 1080 X 1920 24P. But mostly a lot of HDV." My question would be, how are you capturing the uncompressed? Maybe rent time on an Adrenaline for that footage?

Write back with what you find out.

Michael

"There are no rules for the brave". Albert Einstein

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 3:45 AM In reply to

Michael,

One question that I've gotten varying answerw too is "How much more color correction and sound editing does DS offer over MC?" I'm doing a documentary, so it won't be effects intensive.

That said I'd like to do as much of the "finishing" as I can.

I will be capturing uncompressed from a Canon XH-G1 out of its HD-SDI port into a in a pc with a BlackMagic card and RAID array.

Thanks very much for your input :).

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 6:04 AM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,450

DS has a much greater toolset than MC. Its color corrector is like the Symphony's. It has full control over many different areas. Highlights, Midtones,Shadows and RGB can be further broken down into Setup, Gamma, Saturation and Brightness/Contrast. Secondary Color control, Powerwindows with trackable, spline based shapes, per channel corrections and the ability to work in 8, 16 or 32 bit float are fantastic. It's very easy to open multiple reference windows and match colors between shots. Effects can be copied and pasted between clips or cuts or placed on floating/dockable toolbars. Also you can create source side effects that affect a whole tape at once.

Audio is decent, you can edit sample based much like Pro-Tools. It has effects such as reverb, dynamics gain and eq to name a few. You can use VST plugins and easily animate faders on the fly. The timeline can be made to loop as you animate levels or move clips around to synch them up. One of the nice features is that you only have to draw the waveform once. Once it's drawn and cached, you can zoom and pan without having to wait for a redraw.

Another nice feature for documentaries is the ability to link in large files and pan and zoom. Subtitles can be conformed with one button click. The last time I dealt with subtitles on a Symphony it was a 3 day process. On the DS the same job took 2 hours.

I think you've got a good idea here, to do some pre-finishing. I've done quite a few major features where we pre-grade the HD material and it is used as reference in the DaVinci suite. Kind of an offline grade. Your situation is even better if you use a DS for the final finish/output since all of the effects would conform between systems.

Good luck with your doc.

Michael

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 6:06 AM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,450

If you want to PM me, I can send you a VPN link to my system for a demo.

Michael

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 8:03 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

Hey BobbyMercerFan;

Just saw this, thanks for the mention Michael! 

And thought i might add that at the CSC (Canada's version of the ASC) awards on March 29 i did the DI on two of the three nominations for theatrical feature on DS, including the gradeing, titleing, dustbusting, VFX inserting, right through to Film & HD deliverables.

And one of those films was also nominated for a Genie Award (Canada's Oscar's) in cinematagraphy as well.

Ain't bad given that at least two Scratch, six Luster's and five BaseLight's  that i know of were all my compitition.

Whooo Hooooo for me.... at least there's some validation for my workflow.. the camera guys don't care how the images got there, just that they look really reeeeaaaaallllly good.

You can do a complete film DI with the assist station it, and do it really well... i mean if i can anyone can right?

Good luck!

d.

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 8:11 AM In reply to

That's GREAT, WTG Yes!

BTW, what monitor were you using? I wanted to get away with an EIZO CG241W http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/cg241w/index.asp but I've been told it really isn't suitable for grading.

Another thought is the eCinema FX http://www.ecinemasystems.com/products/fx/intro.html.

But I'd love here any thoughts on monitors. Thanks much to all.

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 1:54 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

I use a Qualia Projector, an older Mitsu 21" CRT and a Sony LMD230W

The majority of non-gradeing work is done with the 230, the majority of gradeing is done with the Mitsu, and for the finals, and producer-director-dop screenings  the projector is turned on.

Although the room is well set up for gradeing, and enviroment is controled, the price is payed in HVAC, and the room turns into a convection oven much too quickly with the Qualia on.. it throws out alot of heat from the rear... too much to leave it on all day unless it's really needed

And the Mitsu is dead accurate if done correctly (and you can buy them on craigslist for $50 all day long)...

For feature films size counts..... esp for scope releases, so doing final tweaks on it is really a good thing.

Ta,

d.

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 5:09 PM In reply to

• ronn
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • San Diego
    • Posts 1,015
    • Points 12,675

Dermot: I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Plus120u CRT in the garage - can I connect this (for grading) to my MC/Mojo?

Media Composer 2020.4 with Intensity Pro 4K, Dell i5680, Win-10 64. 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX1060, Sony FS7, FS5, EX1, A6300, Ninja Assassin, Harley Dyna LowRider... [view my complete system specs]

Ronn Kilby

San Diego

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 5:55 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

Ronn;

With DS Assist i had the same 21" Mitsu as you have in you garage  

I attached it on the second DVI port, and had a generic lcd on the first port, i ran the Spider3 to callibrate the Mitsu, opened a viewer on the second side (unused in colortiming mode) attached to a timeline effect that was bypassed, and off to the races we go... all your tools on the main screen, and the Mitsu as your gradeing mon with the piccies

Biggest advantage came when working in RGB 4.4.4, i also fed the DVI port through a splitter to the DVI in of the Qualia proj to see the 4.4.4, there is some scaling artifacts, but that is not a issue when gradeing.

TEST THIS BEFORE TRUSTING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really......

Works far, far better than it should, but like i mentioned.. we tested it, and tested it again before going with it.

It was all less scarry to me as i had just finished a feature in a Baselight, and that scaled to 1K, and mapped the 1K through the DVI port to the projector for gradeing.

If Baselight can do it.. why not me i asked my self ;-)

So i did it.

and it works

Currently i have one Assist Station set up as above (but without the Qualia) with dual 19" Lcd's and  the old trusty Mitsu 21" (normaly turned off)

The other Assist Station has a new 30" Lcd, the Sony LMD230W, and the Qualia (and a spare 21" Mitsu on a splitter, normaly turned off, but ready to use if needed)

Sweet & workable set-up, but not very pretty and the client "wow" factor is quite low.. but i mainly work on features, so no glass, chrome & sushi for us anyhoo....

Ta,

d.

• Tue, Apr 29 2008 10:00 AM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

Hi

Assist works great on the same partition as MC Adrenaline on an XW8200.

Do you know of anyone running DS Assist with an AJA card on XP 32-bit? 

MC 3 supposedly runs on Vista, but how about DS Assist + AJA? 

Symphony Nitris DX • MC Adrenaline DNxcel 5.5 • DaVinci Resolve • VirtualDub :) [view my complete system specs]

E D I T   D U D E S

Independent Post Production Services

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Wed, Apr 30 2008 6:55 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,829
    • Points 45,865

I believe MC3 will also run on xp pro.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, May 1 2008 4:48 PM In reply to

• slabross
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 938
    • Points 9,690
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid DS

Do you know of anyone running DS Assist with an AJA card on XP 32-bit?

Unfortunately no.  For performance reasons, we do not support 32-bit with the AJA option, only 64-bit.

MC 3 supposedly runs on Vista, but how about DS Assist + AJA?

True for MC 3 but not yet for the DS product.

Sylvain Labrosse
    Principal Expert | Services and Customer Success

Avid
    3510 St-Laurent Boulevard
    Montréal, QC H2X 2V2
    Canada
    sylvain.labrosse@avid.com

Create cases online now at  csportal.avid.com 
    It's fast, easy and effective!

We're Avid.  Learn more at www.avid.com  

• Sun, Aug 24 2008 8:53 AM In reply to

• Lowrider
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 135
    • Points 1,855

I was interesting in doing the same thing.  Was going to download the Demo but will it work on my very basic MC3 machine or do you specifically need an HP workstation or at least a dual Xeon-built machine?

MC5, Dell T3400, Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 / 2.66 GHz, 6GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX570, Windows 7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 24 2008 10:21 AM In reply to

The version 7.6 Training Edition will work on pretty much any machine... with the following caveats:

1) It will run on XP SP2 only, not SP3.

2) You can't have security update KB908531 installed.

Avid said they will soon release a Training Edition of v10. It will run on XP SP3.

The faster the better, but DS is not nearly as machine dependent as MC and AXP are.

HTH. :)

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller