Latest post Thu, Jan 14 2016 4:23 PM by mhamilton. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 6 2008 4:15 PM

• Jody
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 6 2008
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Using Arabic in Title Tool

Hi,

I am using Avid Smphony for a job that needs Arabic text. I have installed an Arabic keyboard and can write Arabic text when I am in using ' Arabic Transparent' font in Avid's Title Tool.

But to save time in the on-line the clients want to type out the text in Notepad and then import it into my title tool.  So far this works.....except when I cut and paste the Arabic text from Notepad (in Unicode format) into the Title Tool it just types it as '????? ???? ????' i.e. loads of question marks and we lose the Arabic.

Has anyone any idea how to get this to work? I would really appreaciate any advice.

Grazie, jody

• Thu, Feb 7 2008 6:05 AM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

Re: Using Arabic in Title Tool

I've heard of problems with Arabic.. are you actually able to type in Arabic inside the title tool, regardless of your workflow concerns?

JDS
    So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

• Thu, Feb 7 2008 11:07 AM In reply to

• Jody
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 6 2008
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Hi,

Yes I am able to write in Arabic text in title tool, except one big problem it only writes the conventional way of left to right rather than the other way which Arabic is written in!

We want to cut and paste the Arabic credits and titles into in the title tool to save time in the on-line - that's the main problem.

Many thanks, jody

• Tue, Sep 30 2008 11:54 AM In reply to

• saadi1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 4 2008
    • London
    • Posts 6
    • Points 40

In my humble opinion, there are many ways of doing Arabic:

1- Use Avid's Deko plug-in. This does Arabic but not Farsi. I tested it recently and for Arabic it is fine. It costs about £300. I think it does Japanese and Korean too.

2-Use a tiff generating software, like Photoshop International ver.(very clunky does not kern), Adobe InDesign Middle East Ver. (amazing programme!) or Adobe Illustrator Int. Ver. the latter is better as it is a vector prog.

Ok if you have a couple of main captions, not when you have 400 subtitles that have to be corrected and sub-ed. The tiffs are huge and take up space and once deleted, cannot be found again. There is something called Belle Nuit that geneartes tiffs for subtitles, that is being discussed on this forum.

3- Use ParsNegar, buy the full CD version that comes with the fonts. You cannot cut and paste from Word Arabic on this! (There are some other softwares like this- Waseet3?) Parsnegar has serious problems with the Farsi alphabetical keybaord though. It is very old and no one likes using it.

4-Use Avid Deko CG which has full Unicode support (Or even an Arabic Aston) and print to tape via a digital keyer. This will cut and paste from word and manage subtitles well.

5- Shove the avid Media Composer to the side and put in a Final Cut Pro! This has full Unicode support unlike the Media Composer. But it will have to use Live Type and you have to render everything. It will cut and paste from Word.

You can use Adobe Premier or After Effects as a finishing tool on a QT generated out of the Avid. These can deal with Arabic unicode.

6- Uninstall Avid, add Arabic as a second language then re-install Avid. I have not tried this yet but apparently it works. It seems Avid have known that you can do this but have not passed on the information effectively. It will work with one extra language only. You can cut and paste, no render required. We tried this at BBC News for Farsi and it didn't work on MC Ver. 3 Mojo.

Saadi

Filed under:
  • Fri, Apr 11 2014 12:51 AM In reply to

• azidan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 11 2014
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

I have a small application that you past the arabic text to it, and then you copy the arabic text from the application to pinnacle and the arabic will be working as good as English. Thanks

• Thu, Jan 14 2016 4:23 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,565

azidan:

I have a small application that you past the arabic text to it, and then you copy the arabic text from the application to pinnacle and the arabic will be working as good as English. Thanks

Hi there,

I use Avid Media Composer (v. 8.4.2) on a Mac.  Is your application available for me to try?

Thanks, Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller