Latest post Thu, Feb 5 2009 4:01 PM by Teicia. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 20 2007 11:05 AM

• Jeff-hill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 20 2007
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Clearing Clips

We recently upgraded from an older version of Deko and didn't use clip layers till now. When trying to take graphics back to preview from the program window the text and BG graphics transfer but the clip remains in the program window until cleared. Is this just a settings issue or do we need to use something other than transfer effects?
  • Tue, Sep 25 2007 1:55 AM In reply to

• Mks2000
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 7 2006
    • Puerto Rico
    • Posts 29
    • Points 275

Re: Clearing Clips

Are you using the clips on a layer or as bg?
    2 Deko 3k ver 4 on targa, 1 Dcast authoring station, 1 Dcast. [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Sep 26 2007 7:57 PM In reply to

• Jeff-hill
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

We are using them as background clips with a graphical texture over top.
  • Wed, Sep 26 2007 8:53 PM In reply to

• Mks2000
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 7 2006
    • Puerto Rico
    • Posts 29
    • Points 275

Did you tried it on a layer? graphical tex with over top means a layer with a texture maybe you can send me your file to my email to test it on my machines.
    2 Deko 3k ver 4 on targa, 1 Dcast authoring station, 1 Dcast. [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Oct 2 2007 2:18 PM In reply to

• Teicia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 16 2006
    • Red Bank, New Jersey
    • Posts 111
    • Points 885

Hi there. "Background" clips behave differently from "Layer" clips. You can think of Background clips as essentially a different plane from the CG (text/graphic layer) plane. If your running recent sw, you can see the plane buttons at the top, right in the UI. You can toggle these planes off/on and even reset the priority of them...ex: Clip over CG for some really cool effects.

With certain configurations of Deko (FXDeko II) the clip plane fills both channels. Therefore, you must execute a command for clearing the clip from Program if that is what you want. If you hit the Clear Program key "twice" it will clear out both the CG and the Clip planes.

Does this help?

Thanks, Teicia

• Thu, Oct 4 2007 10:10 AM In reply to

• Jeff-hill
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

I don't think so. I ended up building a motion that dissolves out both the clip and graphic. Everything works good now.

• Wed, Feb 13 2008 9:43 AM In reply to

• Jeff-hill
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Ok, so for the past few months, everything has been going fine. We recently updated our software and now my motion effect is no longer working. I have it set to dissolve "Background", "All Layers", and "Background Clip". The Background graphic and layers dissolve out fine as always. But, now the clip is back to staying in the program window even after the rest of the file is transfered back to preview. It WILL trade out one clip for another, ie: a fullpage clip for a lower 1/3. Thank you again for any help.
  • Wed, Feb 4 2009 7:16 PM In reply to

• Jeff-hill
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Any help? I really can't seem to find a solution to this problem. We want the clip to dissolve out with the graphic. This seems like it would be a common thing to do. Thr program window does not even show a clip linked to the file. The only way to clear the clip from playing is to press clear program.

As a temporary work around, we saved a blank graphic with "clear graphic" set in the linked BgdClip. and instead of clearing preview them playing out program. we load this blank graphic into preview them play them.

This is still a problem though when people forget to do this or are just too lazy/stupid to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated, out news director is ready to just scrap it and go with a still background...

• Thu, Feb 5 2009 4:01 PM In reply to

• Teicia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 16 2006
    • Red Bank, New Jersey
    • Posts 111
    • Points 885

Hi Jeff,

There are several different control choices for your clips. One of these should work based on your specific need.

• With version 4 sw or higher, graphics with associated (linked) clips can be given special playback rules when reading new graphics that may or may not have clips. These include (a) leave the current clip playing, (b) clear the clip, or (c) play the new clip. Of course this requires that the clip be "associated" to your graphic, which you indicate above that it is not. To associate a clip: drag and drop a clip from the ClipEdit window to the graphic window. Then resave the graphic.
    • You can also animate clips that are associated to graphics from the Motion Editor. Simply create an Action for "Background clip". If you are dissolving off, create a Program (red) Action and have the Opacity parameter go from 100 to 0 - indicating a dissovle. In this case, you should also have your clip setup to "sync with effect". You can do this from the bottom of the ClipEdit window - with that particular clip loaded.

One of these methods should work. Please email me directly if it does not.

Thanks - good luck.

Teicia

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller