Latest post Tue, Sep 7 2010 3:35 PM by Tom Pearson. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 14 2007 2:30 AM

• MaggieK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 13 2007
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Can AVID edit AVCHD?

I have a Panasonic HDC-SD1 high definition camera that records on 4gb scandisks. I have AVID 4.6.4 software, and can upgrade. Before I upgrade I want to how do I edit AVCHD? Can I do it with AVID?

Thank you

• Tue, Aug 14 2007 3:02 PM In reply to

• James Jones
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • San Antonio, TX
    • Posts 844
    • Points 9,545

Re: Can AVID edit AVCHD?

Avid does not natively support AVCHD. However, you can transcode footage into DNxHD or other editable file formats and work with it that way. Regardless, I would go ahead and update your XPRO. AFAIK, neither XPRO or FCP edit AVCHD natively. Premiere or Vegas might....but then again, you would have to use Premiere or Vegas....shutter, shutter...lol

JJ

• Wed, Aug 22 2007 5:21 PM In reply to

Do you know or have a work flow for this?  How would you ingest the AVCHD so that it can be transcoded?   Would you just have to digitize the video out from the camera?

thanks
    Mac Pro 2 3.0GHz Dual-core Intel 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.9 MCA 2.7.5, Unity 4.2.3 Fiber Attached Mac PPC Dual 2.7GHz 4GB RAM, OS 10.2.6 MC 12.1.4, Unity... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 22 2007 9:33 PM In reply to

• cubed201
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 22 2007
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Actually Final Cut Pro Studio 2 now natively supports AVCHD -- even iMovie '08 natively supports it.  When will Avid support it?
  • Wed, Aug 22 2007 9:49 PM In reply to

• James Jones
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • San Antonio, TX
    • Posts 844
    • Points 9,545

iMovie 08 may....but FCS2 still transcodes (and that is only on an Intel-based Mac...PPC Macs need 3rd party software). So while it may be a better workflow, it still does not handle AVCHD natively. Just as FCP does not handle DVCPROHD MXF natively (unlike Avid). It re-wraps the DVCPROHD MXF in a Quicktime wrapper.

JJ

• Mon, Aug 23 2010 10:02 AM In reply to

The answer is negative , Avid can not edit AVCHD directly and neither Sony vegas.

But now there are a few software which is able to convert UNEDITABLE AVCHD to some common video fomats for editing and playing on some software or devices.

The most satisfied one i use is Aunsoft MTS Converter which is quite fast and good quality in converting AVCHD to other regular video formats, like MOV or AVI editable by AVID and MPEG for Sony vegas.

It's quite good quality of output video and audio video files is one of reasons i choose it.

http://www.aunsoft.com/mts-converter/

• Tue, Sep 7 2010 3:09 PM In reply to

• jgillooly
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

I got a trial version of Aunsoft and was able to convert my AVCHD files from the GH1 to .mov and import them into the AVID Media Composer 3.0  but I am getting interlacing. Any idea why? I went to the Editor and selected Effects and checked the deinterlace box - it kind of helped some files but some still look bad.

• Tue, Sep 7 2010 3:11 PM In reply to

MC 5 can handle AVCHD files. But ONLY MC 5.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Sep 7 2010 3:35 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Dallas TX
    • Posts 2,184
    • Points 23,370

mc 5 can handle them but not very well  they will slow down every thing on time line  convert them with mts converter and they will work well

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller