Latest post Mon, Jun 22 2009 8:22 PM by maryd. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 21 2007 5:25 PM

• kristin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 21 2007
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

moving lower thirds & motion problems

Hi everyone... I'm new to the forum (and Deko), and I'm having some problems with our lower thirds. (fyi, we're getting ready to launch MOS in the next few weeks.) We have a version of our moving lower third in which the L3 clip slides from right to left into position, then theoretically the anchor name should dissolve on after the clip is at a certain point. Here's what I've done so far: the font is set up and saved as a MOS template. The sliding-in lower third is linked to this template as a clip. Then I created a motion using a screen move, selected layer as the object (highlighting the font layer), and set the opacity parameter from 0 - 100. I linked the motion to the template as well. When the file is called up, the clip plays on correctly, but the name just pops on immediately (before the clip lands)... there is no dissolve. I've tried checking the box in clip editor for "synch with effect," and this didn't help. I've also tried placing a hold at the start of the motion, to no avail. Should my clip maybe be embedded within the template? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
    Kristin Fesler
    Assistant Art Director
    KSDK TV
    St. Louis
  • Mon, May 21 2007 9:39 PM In reply to

• kristin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 21 2007
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Re: moving lower thirds & motion problems MOS

Let me rephrase my question. I can now get the motion to play correctly from the motion editor. I'm worried/wondering how to get it to play correctly from the playback controller once we go to MOS in a couple of weeks. Because the PBC is not set up yet in our control room I have no way to test this. And it seems like calling up a template with motion in Preview, then playing back to Program doesn't work so well with MOS and a PBC?? thanks, Kristin
  • Tue, Jun 9 2009 4:50 PM In reply to

• Matadir
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 9 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Re: moving lower thirds & motion problems

• Mon, Jun 22 2009 8:22 PM In reply to

• maryd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 23 2006
    • Posts 12
    • Points 1,895
    • Moderator: Avid Motion Graphics

Re: moving lower thirds & motion problems

Hi Kristin,
    It sounds like you are doing everything right, but here are a few things to check.

In your motion, be sure the Opacity parameter is active (the box should be checked).  Also check that it is a Play On parameter, not a Play Off.  Lastly, if you have the layer named, which is strongly advised for a MOS workflow, be sure that layer is the one selected in the pulldown menu for that action in the motion.  Also double check that the duration of your motion wasn't mistakenly set to .1 which would basically be a cut.

You are correct in setting Sync with Effect for the clip, that will hold your clip until the motion is played.  Once you get the dissolve on of the text working you may find you need to delay the dissolve on until the clip has resolved.  To do that, scrub the CLIP to the frame that you want the motion completed by, make that the duration of the motion.  Then scrub the clip to the frame that you want the dissolve on of the text to begin.  Next scrub the motion to that time.  Then click, hold & drag the left edge of the timing bar for the text layer to start at that time. 

Good luck,

Mary Driscoll

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller