Latest post Sat, May 12 2007 1:53 PM by sep. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 8 2007 1:50 AM

• brchar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 7 2007
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

What type of MPEG2 files can be imported?

Hi,

I have tried a couple of flavors of MPEG2, mainly program streams (with mp2 audio, stereo) and elementary streams video only without success. Here are the different specs tested for the video:

NTSC 720x480, 720x512

50Mbps CBR, i-frame only, 422 and 420 profiles

File extension .mpg and .m2v

Usually I get the message "This type of MPEG file is not supported". For some, the import succeeded but the source monitor displays "Wrong Format" instead of the actual picture.

Question: what type of MPEG is supported? Ideally I would like the detailed MPEG2 specs supported by AVID media composer import filter so that I can tell the 3rd party provider what to create (limited to MPEG2 at this point).

FYI, I use Media Composer 1.6.4.

Thank you,

Bruno

• Tue, May 8 2007 1:51 AM In reply to

• brchar
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Re: What type of MPEG2 files can be imported?

Correction, the version is Media Composer 2.6.4.
  • Tue, May 8 2007 3:48 AM In reply to

brchar:

Question: what type of MPEG is supported?

Actually.... none. 

You would be better off converting the files to QuickTime and importing those.  Sorenson Squeeze is a 3rd party encoder that should be able to convert the MPEG files for you..... it is shipped with Media Composer. 

Or have the supplier give you QuickTimes.  I'm curious as to why your supplier is only capable of giving you MPEG-2?

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, May 8 2007 12:44 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

brchar:

Question: what type of MPEG is supported? Ideally I would like the detailed MPEG2 specs supported by AVID media composer import filter so that I can tell the 3rd party provider what to create (limited to MPEG2 at this point).

Bruno

Avid can't import mpeg2 files, whatever their settings.

You can use a free siftware called Mpeg Streamclip, which will create very good QT files for you. Mpeg2/Quicktime conversion is quite impressing.

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Tue, May 8 2007 6:02 PM In reply to

• brchar
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Thanks for your responses, unfortunately I want to avoid any intermediary format conversion step like using MPEG Streamclip in order to optimize the workflow time-wise and quality-wise. Media Composer error message "This type of MPEG file is not supported" is implicitely saying that some MPEG file types are. That'd be great if an Avid person (like developers of the MPEG import functionality) could respond to that.

Bruno

• Tue, May 8 2007 6:50 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

I am Avid user since 10 years, from Xpress ABVB, to Meridien, Media Composer, Xpress Pro, Adrenaline, I never was able to import any mpag file into an Avid.
    Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

• Tue, May 8 2007 6:58 PM In reply to

brchar:

Media Composer error message "This type of MPEG file is not supported" is implicitely saying that some MPEG file types are.

I think only broadcast quality MPEG's are supported for import (ie IMX 30/40/50) and XDCam Proxy footage (which is an mpeg-4 type)

Basically, if you have MPEG-2 files, you have to convert it first.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, May 8 2007 10:10 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

Kenton.VanNatten:

I think only broadcast quality MPEG's are supported for import (ie IMX 30/40/50) and XDCam Proxy footage (which is an mpeg-4 type)

Yes, that's right, XDCam HD is in fact mpeg which is "contained" in NXF files, and may be imported into the most recent Avid verisons (since 2.5, AXP5.5) and XDCam proxys since 2.7 (AXP5.7). But "traditional" mpeg files, whatever the extension, .mpg (program file), m2v (elementary file), refuse to import in any Avid system.

sep

• Sat, May 12 2007 8:05 AM In reply to

• brchar
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Ok, that's a start, the MPEGS are close to IMX50 (D10) and  I can ask the provider to generate exactly that. Has anyone been successful with those specs and/or could provide a sample file?

Thanks so much,

Bruno

• Sat, May 12 2007 1:53 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

It would surely be easier for him to provide Quicktime files, whatever he says.

sep

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller