Latest post Sun, Jun 30 2019 8:58 PM by Tom Cook. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Apr 1 2007 12:59 PM

• jan.t
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 25 2007
    • Posts 31
    • Points 405

Export as Quicktime Movie -2GB file size limit

Export as Quicktime Movie gives me the best (compared to Quicktime Reference) and acceptable results when burnt to DVD, but the films I have are much larger than 2 GB. When I try export longer films I get:

"Error exporting file to disk. The file can not be created because it would exceed the two gigabyte file size limit. Export a shorter duration or change your export settings".

How can I avoid this problem? Can I avoid this problem in Avid or shall I export the film in segments and use a program to join them together before I encode to Mpeg2? Is there such a program? Or shall I solve it some other way? (The background is this: I have had problems with blockage in dark areas of the DVD when I use qtref export and this blockage disappears when I burn a qtmov file).

Jan

from Sweden

• Sun, Apr 1 2007 2:46 PM In reply to

Re: Export as Quicktime Movie -2GB file size limit

Hi Jan,

The 2GB file size limit usually only applies to AVI export, not QT.  Check your export settings and make sure you haven't inadvertantly selected AVI.

If that's not it, how are your drives formatted?  FAT32 or NTFS?

good luck,

Carl

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Apr 1 2007 3:04 PM In reply to

• jan.t
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 25 2007
    • Posts 31
    • Points 405

Hello!

I go to file-export and choose Quicktime Movie. I click options and it is quicktime movie. I use NTFS on all my drives. I use Avid Xpress DV 2.0.

Look, I REALLY NEED an answer to this problem. I tried to export with compressor: "Animation", "None" and got the same result.

(When I try to export "Same as Source" I get error: "Unable to Export Bin". When I click more I get: "Unable to Export the Bin. Exception: Parameter error! This export format may require audio or video tracks." I downloaded the the recommended Quicktime Player 7.1.3 but it didnt work.)

I tried exporting to another hardware disc also formatted in NTFS - no go...

If there was a program to join the exported (less than 2 GB) segments together I would use it right away..

Where shall I start?

• Mon, Apr 2 2007 1:26 PM In reply to

jan.t:
    I downloaded the the recommended Quicktime Player 7.1.3 but it didnt work

Hi Jan,

Xpress DV 2.0 probably doesn't work with Quicktime 7.  Check your ReadMe file to see if there is a version of Quicktime specified for your system.  If not, try Quicktime 6.5.2 (this is the version that works on my machine with XPress DV 4.8).

good luck,

Carl

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Wed, Apr 16 2008 5:53 PM In reply to

• chawilk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vancouver Canada
    • Posts 61
    • Points 800

I'm having problems exporting a 1/2 hr 1080i show as a Quicktime Animation (trying to get project exported in best quality so it can be colour corected & dubbed to HD Cam at post house).

I keep getting the "exceeds 2 Gb files size limit" warning.  I have QT V7.2, my 1 TB drive is NTFS, I'm exporting as a Quicktime Animation, not an AVI.

By my calculations the file size of this 30 minute show will be just over 100gigs.   Cutting it up into 2 gig pieces will result in 50 pieces, not really an option.

Any thoughts on how to export this?

Thanks

Charles

MC 2018 4 PC. Intel Core i7 4930K 6 Core 3.4GHZ (3.9GHZ Turbo) 12MB Hyperthreading Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 4X8GB RAM, Nvidia Quatro P4000 Samsung... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 23 2008 7:38 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

I'm getting this error, too. This is a new situation, as I've exported QTs up to 100Gbs in the past. This has only started occuring since upgrading to v3. Has anybody else confirmed this, and more importantly has anybody found a solution to this problem?

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 24 2008 9:25 AM In reply to

Export a ref file then use Quicktime Pro an covert to an Movie file....

MC 7.0 Symphony 7.0 Win 7 64bit 1 x XW 8600 quad 16gig ram 480gig SSD FX 5400 4 1tb 32 mb cache drives Pro tools 10 Avid fx Avid 3d Matrox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 24 2008 3:52 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

Thanks. I'll try this. But I don't understand why this suddenly began occuring. It used to work perfectly straight from the timeline.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 21 2008 3:27 AM In reply to

• ToddS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 25 2008
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 220
    • Points 2,835

Has anyone found a solution to this.  It is so frustrating because I have a pretty big file I need to export, and I don't want to export as a reference. 

What is the deal?  Anyone find any help with this?

Todd

Intel Core i5 processor: 3.20 GHz, 1Gig NVIDIA GeForce GTX 220, 8gb DDR3 Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 15 2008 1:56 PM In reply to

• cjpaul99
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Carl,  I need to export about 6 hours of footage for a client to AVI files and notieced this post.  Is there any way around the 2 gig limit?  We were hoping to do this in 15 min. chunks, not 2 min.  I loaded everying into the avid from Beta-SP to DV25.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Avid Media composer 2.8.1 running on a duel 3.6 xenon. 4 gigs ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 15 2008 10:09 PM In reply to

Hi Chris,

The only way I know to avoid the 2GB AVI limit is to not use AVI as a format.  I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

good luck,
    Carl

• Mon, Sep 15 2008 10:24 PM In reply to

Jan:

Perhaps you should consider a real time playout of the timeline to a stand alone DVD recorder.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Dec 17 2008 3:44 AM In reply to

• R&B
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Metro Atlanta
    • Posts 205
    • Points 2,465
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress DV Mac
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac

I was always led to believe that the 2 GB file size limit was a Windows limitation, having nothing to do with Quick Time or .avi.

Randy

iMacs, both running OS X 10.7.x Lion. Both have 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 processor w/ 4 GB RAM. Also a 17" MacBook Pro. All these machines are from 2008... [view my complete system specs]

Randy Brown
    President
    Brown Media, Inc.
    www.brownmedia.net
    "Voice Imaging for Radio and TV"

• Wed, Dec 17 2008 4:38 AM In reply to

"... the 2 GB file size limit was a Windows limitation ..."

It is if using a FAT16 File System ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/118335

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310561/

Here is a table that lists the maximum file sizes for different operating systems and file systems*:

Windows 95
    (pre-OSR2)
    Windows 95 OSR2+,
    Windows 98/SE/ME
    Windows NT 4.0 Windows 2000/XP
    FAT16 2 GB 2 GB 4 GB 4 GB
    FAT32 N/A 4 GB N/A 4 GB
    NTFS N/A N/A Nearly unlimited Nearly unlimited

* http://neuron2.net/LVG/filesize.html

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Fri, Jul 24 2009 1:38 PM In reply to

• Pierre Corbeil
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 17 2008
    • Montreal, Canada
    • Posts 76
    • Points 990

I am experiencing the same problem today on one of my two MC stations: I exported a 60-minutes timeline as quicktime animation on a LOCAL DRIVE. I could see the .mov file growing in size - 40 GB, 60 GB. Then just as it was finished the export failed and I see the error message: "exceeding 2GB file size..." and the mov file disappears from my drive.

I went to my other station and the export worked flawlessly. I had this problem before and the only way I found to get rid of the problem was to perform a clean re-install of XP and all the software - this is not something I do for fun, it take me a full 8-hours day of work to reinstall and reconfigure a station.

Last week I had performed a similar export from the same station and there were no problems, yet yesterday it failed, on the apparently same software. I believe the problem does not originate from Avid. It does not come from a specific version of Quicktime (I did a lot of testing!). It must be caused by a plugin or some obscure small app or download from the last weeks. I asked my editor if he installed anything special but he does not remember... I will revert to my last ghost image and I expect that the problem will be gone.

Station 1- MC 6.0.1.1 / Intel S5520SC / 12 Gb / Quadro 4000 / Matrox MX02 LE Station 2- 00 - MC 6.0.1.1 / Asus P6X58 / 8 Gb / Quadro 4000/ Matrox MX02... [view my complete system specs]

Pierre Corbeil

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller