Latest post Sat, Sep 2 2006 2:14 AM by BEN3MAN. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 30 2006 1:12 AM

• BEN3MAN
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 25 2006
    • harrisburg,PA,USA
    • Posts 62
    • Points 830

6 months of hell.... AVID sucks.....

Here is my specs.....

Click here for Belarc's System Management products, for large and small
    companies.

Operating System                System Model
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)             Enclosure Type:
    Desktop
    Processor a             Main Circuit Board b
    2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache             Board: MS-7030
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 08/01/2005
    Drives          Memory Modules c,d
    460.11 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    11.55 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LG CD-RW CED-8080B [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 7L300S0 [Hard drive] (300.08 GB) -- drive 0
    WDC WD1600JD-00HBB0 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 1                 2048 Megabytes
    Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'A1' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'A2' is Empty
           Local Drive Volumes

DISABLED Marks a disabled account;   LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account
                   None detected
    Controllers             Display
    Standard floppy disk controller
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (2x)           NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS
    [Display adapter]
    Gateway VX700 [Monitor] (15.2"vis, s/n 811116166, November 1998)
    Bus Adapters            Multimedia
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (2x)               M-Audio Delta Audiophile
    Realtek AC'97 Audio
    Communications          Other Devices

1394 Net Adapter
    Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    USB Human Interface Device
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    HID-compliant mouse
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    SafeNet USB SuperPro/UltraPro
    USB Root Hub (3x)

Anyway...I have had AVID since Christmas and I have yet to get the damn thing to work.... I hate it!!!  I will admit at first I did have a strong enough system so I upgraded my motherboard, bought more RAM, etc.

The main problem is most likely that my video card or sound card just will not work with AVID.  I bring my footage into the program, into the record monitor, I can scroll through it no problem, but it will not play.  No sound comes out either.  the 6800 will not install any of the recommended drivers for AVID.  I have the latest driver for this version of the card.   Could it also be my sound card screwing it up?  I even did the recommended driver cleaner pro, to make sure my drivers were in there right.  I have reinstalled my computer various times to no avail. 

I upgraded from AVID 4.5 to 5.5.1 too.  Nothing...  Please  let me know if I still need more upgrading or what, I have spent way too much as it is trying to get this to work. 

• Wed, Aug 30 2006 1:55 AM In reply to

• Swil
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Australia
    • Posts 498
    • Points 6,455

Re: 6 months of hell.... AVID sucks.....

Which versions of the NVIDIA drivers have you tried? Since upgrading to 5.5 have you tried the one recommended in the 5.5 readme? (it's 84.something, I think it even comes inside the 5.5 upgrade zip file)
    3.40GHz Core i7-2600K | 24Gb RAM | GeForce GTX 660 Ti | Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor | Presonus AudioBox 22VSL | Windows 10 because I'm mad like... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 30 2006 1:56 AM In reply to

Hi,

Well, the important thing is that you've remained calm.  Here's a link to the system requirements for Xpress Pro:  http://www.avid.com/products/xpresspro/specs.asp

You will find that AMD processors are not supported.  That's your first problem.  You will also not find an nVidia GeForce 6800 video card on the list of supported video cards.  That's your second problem.  If you search these forums for "realtek" you will find many many posts from people that cannot get their Realtek audio cards to work with Avid.  That's your third problem, although unlike the other two, you couldn't have been expected to know about the Realtek thing in advance.

Your main problem, though, is that after buying a computer that's not qualified to run the software, you come on a user forum for that very software and say it sucks and you hate it.  Well, of course you do; you didn't get a proper computer to run it on.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Aug 30 2006 1:57 AM In reply to

When you plan to buy an Avid software or wathever.  Y ou must FIRST check the system requirements.

http://www.avid.com/products/xpresspro/specs.asp

Some people make their own systems without issue... but most people doing this unsuccessfully.

Avid works closely with component especialy the motherboard and the graphic card.

As I can see, both of your system are not supported by Avid.

What about looking at it first! Embarrassed [:$]

It's not the tool you use, it's the end product that counts. But when it take 2 hours more than envisaged... you better choose Avid.
  • Wed, Aug 30 2006 2:09 AM In reply to

• highfly900
    • Not Ranked
    • Portland, OR
    • Posts 72
    • Points 960

avid doesnt suck, avid is awesome!  be prepared for others to give you crap for saying that when you don't have an avid approved system...

that being theres a couple of things I see in your specs, first avid recommends intel processors for xpress pro, while AMD is a great company and has made up a lot of ground in past couple of years, and hopefully avid will change this sometime in the future but they still say that they arent guaranteeing that an AMD system will work with Avid Xpress Pro

another thing is your sound card,  looks like you have been trying to use the built in sound card(realtek AC'97 Audio)  I use a system for avid xpress pro that is homebuilt and the motherboard has the same audio sound built in and I never was able to get it to work with Avid Xpress pro.  to solve that I just bought a cheap sounblaster LIVe card ($20) and put that in the PCI slot and then the audio worked fine.  Im pretty sure that you won't ever get the sound to work with the built in audio so i would recommend trying that

as for the video card, Im not sure because I have not experience with that one.

and remember, Avid doesnt suck, Xpress Pro is a professional application so Avid expects users to be use a proffessional setup.  they have approved systems because they rather spend time and resources developing the features and making Xpress Pro better than trying to make Xpress Pro work with every computer configuration possible

anyways good luck!
    2.6ghz - MBP 2018 - 32gb RAM - 10.15.3 - MC 2020.4 [view my complete system specs]

-danimal the animal

• Wed, Aug 30 2006 2:12 AM In reply to

• highfly900
    • Not Ranked
    • Portland, OR
    • Posts 72
    • Points 960

no replies, so i write a post and then end up being the fourth post, everyone just jumped right on that :)
    2.6ghz - MBP 2018 - 32gb RAM - 10.15.3 - MC 2020.4 [view my complete system specs]

-danimal the animal

• Wed, Aug 30 2006 2:31 AM In reply to

Firstly, Avid doesn't suck. It is teh win.

And I'm sure the only reason you hate it is you haven't gotten a chance to use it yet!

The main problem you are experiencing seems to be the graphics card / drivers. I am running a Quadro FX 3400 with the very latest drivers (91.36) with no problems so far, so maybe you could try the geforce equivalent drivers (91.31 - on the nvidia website).

Now are you using a mojo? (i'm too lazy to scroll back up and look). If you are then that will be stopping your realtek sound from working. Try disabling it (or simply clicking the 'DNA' button above the timeline to switch it to '1394' mode) and then play around with your audio settings in avid. I am using onboard realtek and that is how i got mine to work. When outputing through mojo, also run audio out of mojo, that way (it will actually work) and it will be in sync.

If you are not using mojo... sorry i cant help you.

I learnt the hard way not to attempt to run avid on a ridiculously unqualified system... but mine's working now - just don't expect it to be easy (at least mine was an Intel).

Joe
    Windows XP32 SP2 Intel Pentium D950 3.4GHz Dual-core (OC to 3.83GHz) Asus P5LD2-Deluxe Mobo, Onboard Realtek Audio and TI based IEEE1394 Nvidia QuadroFX... [view my complete system specs]
    (- =) Joe
  • Wed, Aug 30 2006 3:43 AM In reply to

• BEN3MAN
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 25 2006
    • harrisburg,PA,USA
    • Posts 62
    • Points 830

Well I know AVID doesn't suck...as I have used at school.....I am just really frustrated.  I figured if I wrote that, all the hardhead AVID users would write in and yell at me and maybe even flame me, and I would get responses....HAHA.  I can only blame myself for first off thinking from the beginning that AVID would work like premiere would ,with no hardcore requirements on the system.  I am not using the realtech audio built in the mother board.  I have the 24/96 audiophile sound card.  I thought that was listed above but I am not sure if maybe my realtech audio is running over it amd cancelling it out, instead?  I have no mojo....or whatever they are called.  I realize this is definitely an unqualified system, but I would have to spend another couple of grand (which I don't really have) to get it to specs.  I realize it is AMD processor, and damn it AMD is better from what everyone has told me, but obviously not in this case.  AT least now my knowledge about computer parts has increase 10fold, and I know the differences about things, but that doesn't do me any good now after the fact.  I realize I need the quadro cards....I know this.  I just wish I didn't have to spend 500 more dollars for one, when I only make so much money.....I think I did look into the upgrade driver from 5.5.1, but I will look again.....not sure about that. 

• Wed, Aug 30 2006 3:54 AM In reply to

• highfly900
    • Not Ranked
    • Portland, OR
    • Posts 72
    • Points 960

while the quadro is under required cards, and cost a lot more, on my desktop I use an ATI radeon 9600 pro and it works fine, and there are many others that use other cards that aren't "approved" but its just about playing with em and the drivers and all till it works.  I guess there are instances when a card just won't work but i do know plenty of people that have unapproved cards that work just fine.

also check for deals on quadro cards on ebay, I have seen some decent prices for the lower end quadro cards that avid does approve

-danimal the animal

• Wed, Aug 30 2006 4:00 AM In reply to

• Swil
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Australia
    • Posts 498
    • Points 6,455

Ben3man, an Athlon 64 and a GeForce 6800 should do you fine. Don't go and buy new stuff yet, the problem is likely elsewhere. I'm using an Athlon 64 with a GeForce 5700 and it works great.

It sounds like your video driver is the culprit, have you tried the 5.5 qualified driver they tell you to use in the readme?

3.40GHz Core i7-2600K | 24Gb RAM | GeForce GTX 660 Ti | Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor | Presonus AudioBox 22VSL | Windows 10 because I'm mad like... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 30 2006 8:10 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,411
    • Points 97,300

The reason that older AMD processors can not be used with Avid is because they don't support the SSE, SSE2, and SSE3 code extensions.  An Athlon 64 does.  I also agree with Swil on the Geforce card.  I was using a 6800 up until very recently, and it behaved flawlessly.  It was the card I installed after I had to dump my Matrox Parhelia and gave about two years stable reliable service.

However you should look at disabling your on-board Realtek audio chipset.  Replace it with a low-cost Audigy.  It'll likely outperform the Realtek for your other apps, and it'll definitely work with Avid.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 30 2006 8:16 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,411
    • Points 97,300

Actually, re-reading your original posting, it appears you have both an M-audio Delta and the Realtek chipset.  I don't know how compatible the M-audio card is with Avid, but Realtek definitely is not.

See if you can beg, borrow, or steal an Audigy and give it a try.  Make sure you disable the Realtek audio in your BIOS settings first!

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 30 2006 2:51 PM In reply to

• AK-Jake
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Anchorage, AK
    • Posts 2,576
    • Points 32,130

BEN3MAN-

We all experience the frustration of Avid at times...including those vets out there who have been using Avid for a decade or longer.  I can assure you Avid's getting better and better each year, and their products are absolutely amazing...ALMOST divine!  Smile [:)]

I will just add a friendly piece of advice, since it seems as though you're (hopefully) well on your way to getting your system working properly:  coming on here as a new forum member and saying "Avid sucks" multiple times, when the problem is clearly based upon the computer you're using is NO way to make any friends around here.  I must admit I am pleasantly surprised and HIGHLY impressed with those users who have posted in response to your thread, as in the past you would have been flamed mercilessly and this thread would have quickly descended to the depths from which those initial flames came from.

I just wanted to take a chance to offer you that little tidbit, and give you a proper welcoming to the forums (Welcome to the Forums!) if you haven't been already.  Try the tips above.  If they don't work, keep us posted and we'll see if we can't troubleshoot you a solution. 

We also hope you will continue to take an active part in the forums in the future!

Take care.

Avid Symphony Nitris 3.x (DNA), HP xw8400, 3TB Avid Media-Array; Avid Xpress Studio HD Complete 5.1.3, HP xw8000, dual-3.06 ghz Xeon's; 2 GB of RAM;... [view my complete system specs]

When 900 years old YOU reach, look as good, YOU'LL not!!  Hmmm?

• Wed, Aug 30 2006 3:13 PM In reply to

Jake... ALMOST??? come on, it is !! Wink [;)]

Be3Man...
    Buy a soundblaster audigy soundcard: around 20-30$ I think. Avid likes them. Disable the realtek thing
    Videocard: that card does work with avid, installed it a few weeks ago in a friends computer. But you need the latest drivers (91+ i think it was). Do a search on this forum. You will be amazed how much info there is around here.
    AMD: might work, might not. A lot of people are using AMD's without problems.

BTW ... welcome
    Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Wed, Aug 30 2006 5:43 PM In reply to

• AK-Jake
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Anchorage, AK
    • Posts 2,576
    • Points 32,130

Not quite yet, Hans...it's still got a little ways to go.  When ALL of Avid's NLE's (not including Liquid and DS) feature the full Symphony Secondary Color-Corrector (like they should all have), real-time keyframeable transfer modes, the FULL Media Composer Interface, and the new interface (that fixes a lot of the stupid aspects of Avid's current interface), THEN and ONLY then will it be divine!

As it stands now, it's great.  The best, even.  But it needs a lot of work, and I'm hoping this work will be completed in the next major release of the NLE's.

My $0.02.

Avid Symphony Nitris 3.x (DNA), HP xw8400, 3TB Avid Media-Array; Avid Xpress Studio HD Complete 5.1.3, HP xw8000, dual-3.06 ghz Xeon's; 2 GB of RAM;... [view my complete system specs]

When 900 years old YOU reach, look as good, YOU'LL not!!  Hmmm?

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller