Latest post Wed, Nov 9 2005 11:21 PM by TVJohn. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 8 2005 2:59 PM

Avid Liquid 7.0 and DVD

It's possible now, to make a multilanguage DVD, perhaps also subtitles in Avid Liquid 7.0?

Manfred

• Tue, Nov 8 2005 5:36 PM In reply to

• LewS
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • West Palm Beach, FL
    • Posts 10,277
    • Points 132,650
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Avid Liquid 7.0 and DVD

I am not a beta tester but I don't think either of those will be possible in AL7 afaik. However, I know there will be other serious improvements in the DVD authoring features of AL7 such as 16:9 menu support.
    3.15GHz E8500 CPU, Intel MB w P35 chipset, 4GB memory, Pioneer DVD burner, onboard audio, nVidia Quadro FX1700 512MB , 2TB (4 x 500GB) Raid 0 on Vantec... [view my complete system specs]

LewS

• Tue, Nov 8 2005 8:01 PM In reply to

• Andy Browne
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • Posts 1,505
    • Points 21,000

You are not able to add a secondary audio track in Liquid's DVD authoring.  Ditto for subtitles.  There are other third-party tools that do that extremely well.  I here the latest version of DVDit does a spectacular job.
    Asus P5B-E, P965/ICH8R, 1066 FSB, 2GB Kingston DDR2 800 - Intel Core2Duo 2.13 GHz - Audigy2 ZS Platinum - Radeon HD4800 Series - 1GB - 3 Sata3 HDDs for... [view my complete system specs]

Andy Browne Boomers Offshore My Streaming Videos Call me on SKYPE @ abrowne1950

• Tue, Nov 8 2005 8:08 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,757
    • Points 48,070
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

And don't forget DVDLab. And if you're a truly advanced user, you can still find DVD Maestro for sale on Ebay.
    DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Nov 8 2005 10:25 PM In reply to

• Holger Jost
    • Not Ranked
    • Germany
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

AW: Re: Avid Liquid 7.0 and DVD

@dave

we prefer Adobe Encore DVD 2.0, but avid has some money left to buy a authoring-software. Also we wish a new titler and effects for next christmas.

Your feature request poll we could post on the european forums in the next week ?

Shipping in europe will start end of nov. 2005.

Holger

XW-8200, 2GB, X700, SATA [view my complete system specs]
    FAST Professional Partner since 1992
  • Tue, Nov 8 2005 11:30 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,757
    • Points 48,070

Re: AW: Re: Avid Liquid 7.0 and DVD

When I posted the poll I wasn't thinking about HFX and TitleDeko. Otherwise they'd be on there. I can't change the poll without losing all of the existing data, so it stays as is. Perhaps I'll start a new one after that one is over.
    DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Nov 9 2005 3:00 AM In reply to

• Mike F Bowen
    • Not Ranked
    • Kalihi, Hawaii
    • Posts 159
    • Points 1,955

Aloha Manfred,

Liquid 7 DVD has some nice improvements, but none as much as those two, as Andy had previously pointed out.  Hopefully we can see it in a future release...I would sure like to see it for when it came time for us to translate our multilingual material into a dual lingual DVD Wink [;)]  Ahh...nice dreams, nice dreams. 

fellow editmonky,
    -Mike

NTSC Sys, XW9300, NForce Pro w/AMD-8131HT, 2xOpteron 2.4ghz 1GhzHT, 2x1 GB Graphics cards GeForce 9800GT/9400GT [driver v196.21], ESI Juli@, 4G Ram, 1x300G... [view my complete system specs]

Cutt'n hard...or Hardly cutt'n Da Aloha State Editmonky

• Wed, Nov 9 2005 4:09 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,757
    • Points 48,070

To be honest I don't expect Liquid to ever excel in DVD authoring, nor do I see that as a major fault. I expect Liquid to be the best editor out there that it can be. That to my mind includes audio editing, effects processing, titler, etc. (and Liquid could still use some improvements in some of these areas). The fact that it has DVD authoring at all is a bonus.

It's not unrealistic to have to expect to use a 3rd party application for anything beyond the basic DVD authoring features. Nor is it cost prohibitive. You can get excellent authoring tools for under USD $200. I'm sure that some will complain about having to spend additional funds for features they feel should be in the base product. But I question whether those features should be there. I would prefer that product development concentrate on the editing side of the application first (which is what I believe they are doing).

Don't get me wrong; I certainly wouldn't complain if I could edit and burn my multi-language, close captioned, subtitled, multi-angle DVD with custom programmed handling and hyperlinked multi-aspect DVD menu all from within one application. But that's not likely to happen. And these happen to be the features I require from an authoring application.

At some point I do expect to see Liquid get subtitles and multiple audio tracks, and that perhaps covers everything that might be considered "basic" in terms of authoring. I'd prefer to see Bezier curves in the Classic editors first though.

I expect that I'm in the minority on this one. But it's just my view of the world.

Dave S.

• Wed, Nov 9 2005 4:44 AM In reply to

• Mike F Bowen
    • Not Ranked
    • Kalihi, Hawaii
    • Posts 159
    • Points 1,955

Yes [Y] Re: Avid Liquid 7.0 and DVD

Aloha Dave,
     DStone wrote:
    I'd prefer to see Bezier curves in the Classic editors first though.

I expect that I'm in the minority on this one. But it's just my view of the world.

I would have absolutely agree with you on that one.  It should be in all the editors, not just the RT ones...let's hope and ask for future versions.

fellow editmonky,
    -Mike

NTSC Sys, XW9300, NForce Pro w/AMD-8131HT, 2xOpteron 2.4ghz 1GhzHT, 2x1 GB Graphics cards GeForce 9800GT/9400GT [driver v196.21], ESI Juli@, 4G Ram, 1x300G... [view my complete system specs]

Cutt'n hard...or Hardly cutt'n Da Aloha State Editmonky

• Wed, Nov 9 2005 4:48 AM In reply to

• video777
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Scio, OR
    • Posts 1,311
    • Points 18,140

DStone wrote:
    You can get excellent authoring tools for under USD $200.

Dave, What do you recommend? I'm looking for something slightly more advanced than the DVD Authoring tool in Studio. One thing I really need is to be able to choose which item is highlighted on any given menu. I also like being able to use motion menus so that needs to be included as well. Your thoughts?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, ABIT KN8 MoBo, 2GB SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon X1800XT (256MB 256-bit), 1.5TB drives, WinXP Pro SP2 (NTFS), DX9.0c, Avid Liquid 7.10... [view my complete system specs]
    Allen "Success comes from wisdom, wisdom comes from experience, experience comes from really screwing up!" - Author Unknown
  • Wed, Nov 9 2005 5:14 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,757
    • Points 48,070

It's no secret that I highly recommend DVDLab by MediaChance. It comes in 3 versions, Standard, Studio, and Pro. Standard is USD $99, Pro is USD $199, and Studio splits the difference at $129.

The differences between the versions can be found on the comparison chart Here. The short summary is Standard doesn't support subtitles, multiple audio tracks, or multi-aspect menus. Studio adds support for all of these (2 audio tracks only) as well as play lists. Pro adds 8 audio tracks, mixing of 4x3 and 16x9 media on the same DVD, and very advanced authoring features (down to and including programming the DVD virtual machine).

And this is only 1 application. If you've followed some of the other threads, DVDIt can be had with eDVD (the ability to created DVDs with hyperlinked menus when played on a computer) for $199. And there are others. It all depends on what you want.

DVDLab (all versions) support motion menus, as well as having what I believe is the nicest menu creation system out of every application I've tried (and I own another authoring app. that costs thousands more and which isn't as nice in that respect). Mind you it's not template driven, so you have to do a bit more work than some other app's, but you can get exactly what you want vs. what other people think you should have. Give it a try; it comes with a 30-day fully functional trial.

Dave S.

• Wed, Nov 9 2005 5:43 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,363
    • Points 53,915

And the learning time?
    Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.6. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 17/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Wed, Nov 9 2005 12:08 PM In reply to

• le_k
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • cologne
    • Posts 250
    • Points 3,270

AW: Re: Avid Liquid 7.0 and DVD

dvdlab.pro rocks and its easy to learn...bought it a while ago since the dvd-authoring in LE/AL didnt improve with higher versions....wont miss my dvdlab now anymore ;-))

ralf

1. avid mc 8.9.3 intel i7 7700, 32GB DDR3, nvida geforce gtx 1070, Win10 64bit, 9TB-Raid-0 @ onboardcontroller // alienware intel i7 win10 64bit ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 9 2005 3:02 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,757
    • Points 48,070

TVJohn wrote:
    And the learning time?
    If all you've ever used is a template driven authoring system, then it may take a bit longer to learn (figure on a couple of hours of playing around with it). Smile [:)]

Put it this way, to create a basic DVD  with multiple chapters, a menu with multiple links, and a scene selection menu with a thumbnail for each chapter can be ready for compilation in about 10 minutes. The sequence is:
    1. Import your assets (video and audio) into DVDLab.
    2. Drag the video and audio assets into the Movie.
    3. Scroll through the movie and set chapter points.
    4. From the DVDLab menu, create a scene selection menu. This is one of the few templated things in DVDLab (and you can make your own templates). This will create one or more linked menu pages with a thumbnail for each chapter. Each page has next/previous/Up buttons as appropriate.
    5. Go to the main DVD menu, and add text labels (like Play, Bonus Features, Setup, etc.)
    6. Right-click on each text label and choose Link to link it to a movie, or chapter, or another menu (don't forget to make a link to the scene selection menu).
    7. Choose which link you want to be highlighted by default.
    8. Compile the project. This creates the DVD structure suitable for burning.
    9. Burn the project to DVD (DVDLab has a basic burner utility built in).
    It takes about as long to read the instructions as to get to the point of making chapter marks. This is the thing that probably takes the longest. If you don't need chapters and scene selection menus you can be compiling a DVD in under 5 minutes.

Needless to say there are other things you might want to do, like make multiple menus, use background images and/or graphics, make motion menus (audio and/or video), etc. Links can be anything you can put on the menu including graphics or video clips. You have complete control over how buttons appear. You can make menus that underline the the selected choice or put frames around them or arrows pointing to them, etc. How complex it gets is really up to you.

Compare the idea of dropping a text item on a menu and right-clicking on it to make it into a fully functional link vs. having to create a multi-layered PSD image in a particular format and importing it (this is how many authoring app's work).

Like I said, give it a try. It's well worth the time looking at it.

Dave S.

• Wed, Nov 9 2005 10:14 PM In reply to

• video777
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Scio, OR
    • Posts 1,311
    • Points 18,140

Thanks Dave. I have been leaning towards DVDLab Pro for some time. I believe it was your recommendation. I actually have a trial copy downloaded and ready to install. I guess the next step is to try it out. I'll let you know how it goes. I appreciate your help.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, ABIT KN8 MoBo, 2GB SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon X1800XT (256MB 256-bit), 1.5TB drives, WinXP Pro SP2 (NTFS), DX9.0c, Avid Liquid 7.10... [view my complete system specs]
    Allen "Success comes from wisdom, wisdom comes from experience, experience comes from really screwing up!" - Author Unknown
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller