Latest post Wed, Nov 17 2021 6:07 PM by kkordisch. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 22 2021 9:42 PM

• Ed Harper
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 27 2012
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80
    • Avid Employee

Avid NEXIS - user input requested....

Question to the community.

I’m considering removing the ‘unprotected’ Workspace option.

(existing unprotected workspaces would be retained, Admin would not be able to create new unprotected WS’s)

Why: too many people do not fully understand that a single disk failure makes all the media unreadable

We would retain the options for 2-disk (RAID6) and 1-disk (RAID5) and mirror protection for configurations that support it.

8 question survey – it should not take more than 2-3 minutes…

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NFBQTBN

all responses are anonymous

thanks in advance for your feedback,

Ed

Ed Harper

Director of Product Management: Avid NEXIS Storage

(one question is slightly confusing - my bad - 'agree' if removing unprotected WS option would be a problem for you (i.e. agree if you want to keep unprotected WSs) 

• Thu, Sep 23 2021 9:10 AM In reply to

• d-media
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 5 2013
    • Posts 80
    • Points 830

Re: Avid NEXIS - user input requested....

Did the survey, but forgot one important request:

Can we please-please-PLEASE have support for UPS shutdown on Nexis???

(Just APC and PowerWalker will be fine, thank you.)

It's the only servers I come into contact with that doesn't support it :-/

Kim G. Rasmussen | Design & Media | Independent AV/IT-Consultant

• Thu, Sep 23 2021 12:25 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 438
    • Points 5,250

Hey Ed,
    Can we get modern LDAP/AD integration? The LDAP sync tool is antiquated, Nexis is the ONLY product out of perhaps dozens that I support that requires an admin to manually syncronize users in AD security groups. I've had multiple meetings with avid teams and multiple feature requests for this in the last 3 years, but never heard a peep back. 

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Thu, Sep 23 2021 1:46 PM In reply to

• Ed Harper
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80
    • Avid Employee

UPS shutdown is a recognized need, we are investigating

• Thu, Sep 23 2021 1:48 PM In reply to

• Ed Harper
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80
    • Avid Employee

We recognize the need to update the LDAP/AD integration. We plan to implement single sign on / token based authentication. 

• Thu, Sep 23 2021 1:55 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 5 2011
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,385

Please remove the unprotected option. I can't tell you how many times I see assists making unprotected workspaces because they don't understand the option. It is a horrible option.

• Thu, Sep 23 2021 4:23 PM In reply to

As this wasn't an issue on Unity or ISIS I'm rather indifferent to keeping or removing the option. The issue of unprotected being the default choice when creating a workspace (that was ugly) was solved, so whoever chooses it now does so intentionally.

What is crucial is to have reliable (s.m.a.r.t.) status information easily accessible. Nexis clients should be aware if system health or any media or ssd drive is degrading so editors can take appropriate actions, for example inform the admin, reseller or support, prior total data loss. The web interface main page might have the yellow and red warnings, the clients aren't aware until they see performance issues, core consistency check failures or corrupt media being quaranteed during a scan. The Nexis status icon in the task bar could be going red, a warning inside nexis client and/or a (windows) notification 'check Nexis core: 

Even if you are crazy enough to choose to have 100% of your workspaces unprotected, if you are warned in time you can still backup 99.xx % of your media in 99.xx % of the time.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Sep 24 2021 1:33 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,409
    • Points 29,895
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

kkordisch:

Please remove the unprotected option. I can't tell you how many times I see assists making unprotected workspaces because they don't understand the option. It is a horrible option.

With all due respect, it seems to me that allowing an assistant have Administrative rights to the NEXIS is a bigger issue. Unprotected is not the default, a selection has to be made to change this. I don't believe this is a "mistake" but a decision on someone's part. If they don't have the proper training to create the correct workspace, they shouldn't be an admin.

That same person with Admin rights to make a workspace could delete them all.

The real issue is lack of training. This can be mitigated with sub-admin privileges and/or the ability to add protection to an unprotected workspace.

Avid NEXIS System Administration (eLearning) (NX216EL)

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Fri, Sep 24 2021 1:43 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,385

Agreed. I 100% would not like anybody but a tech to use admin privledges... but when you have 50 Nexis's... it is not the easy to monitor. The new 2021.8.1 nexis update does help with this to a point.

• Wed, Sep 29 2021 4:50 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 438
    • Points 5,250

Ed Harper:

We recognize the need to update the LDAP/AD integration. We plan to implement single sign on / token based authentication. 

Great news Ed! This has been a long time coming.

In addition to modernization, please add support for Active Directory Global catalog. For those of us with very large organizations and consolidated infrastructure, the need to onboard users in trusted domains is huge! 

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Wed, Nov 17 2021 6:07 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,385

I would say if anything, add the option for the admin to enable and disable no protection modes.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller