Latest post Sun, Jul 12 2020 3:21 PM by jef. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 9 2020 2:04 PM

Assign Media to different Projekt without consolidation - Media Tool ?

Hi!

I had to rename my project so it matches the naming convention of a broadcast station and will be edited there.

I renamed the Project Folder and Project File and everything is fine.

The only problem:

The whole footage is still assigned to the old project.

If I open my drive and all of my clips in the media tool it says in the column "Project" the old Project name.

I guess its important to change this as well as they are managing the footage on a by project basis.

I tried to batch edit the column "Project" and just type the new project name, 

but it didnt work out.

How can I just assign all of my clips to the new project without having to consolidate everything - 

because its a LOT of footage.

Thanks for your help!! :) 

MediaComposer 2020, macos catalina, Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Sat, Jul 11 2020 10:33 AM In reply to

Re: Assign Media to different Projekt without consolidation - Media Tool ?

I am fairly sure the project is written into the metadata of the medaifile, so consolidation is the only way.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 11 2020 10:41 AM In reply to

Thats a pity. I was hoping Avid could alter the metadata of the mediafiles.

But Then I have to consolidate everything..

MediaComposer 2020, macos catalina, Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 11 2020 5:04 PM In reply to

All media Avid creates gets the project name embedded in the media created. You can't edit that. That's why consolidation creates an updated project name. 

But why worry about the project name in the media?

Few manage their media using that. 

If you go to a large facility they won't throw your media in with others. You will get a workspace for you media. 

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sun, Jul 12 2020 3:07 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,694
    • Points 44,430

Pat,

I have run into this issue before myself.  One tool we use to manage media is MDVx.  And it uses Project Name to help identify and manipulate media.  There have been times that it would have been really useful to be able to edit the project name of a large amount of media without consolidation.  I know that doing this could be dangerous.  I also realize that there are several work arounds.  But when you you have many people working on different projects, "mistakes" happen.  And as a facility we can not always demand that our clients work in a specific way.  We can only recomend.

My take.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Jul 12 2020 3:21 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,694
    • Points 44,430

Pat Horridge:

Few manage their media using that. 

If you go to a large facility they won't throw your media in with others. You will get a workspace for you media. 

I would agree somewhat with Pat here.  It depends on what storage system is being used where you are headed and their own internal media management methods.  I would reach out to them prior to moving your media to see how they operate.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller