Latest post Wed, Apr 22 2020 6:05 PM by Marianna. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 21 2020 11:40 PM

head of audio clip doesn't get played... and in export too.

So this year we've been noticing that occasionally the head of an incoming audio clip doesn't play- misses the first few frames. This is just at the start of playback.  Now I found it happened in a quicktime export. That's concerning. Anyone else?

2017 MacBook Pro Aja IO/XT Mojave 10.14.6 MC 2019.12.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 22 2020 11:36 AM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Montréal, Canada
    • Posts 437
    • Points 5,725

Re: head of audio clip doesn't get played... and in export too.

This bug was logged as MCCET-3367 back in November 2019.

I thought it had been fixed but I also experienced it recently with v2019.12. It's more intermittent now from my personal experience, but not reassuring.

My workaround has been to splice in a muted audio clip before the first truncated audio clip.

Avid Media Composer 2020.8 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID (DNxID Desktop Video Application v11.5.1), macOS 10.15.6, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 22 2020 12:10 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,309
    • Points 232,390
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

jd....

I looked up the bug and Ryan did report this however they could not reproduce it and reached out to you under case # 03808778 but didnt get a response at all.

what was asked is as follows:

What type/resolution of source media is being used?

When you say add 'VO ' to A1 in the steps to reproduce - are you suggesting that the audio on V1 has to be created via the punch-in tool/how is it different from the audio you're adding to A1-4?

Please also provide screenshots of your export settings and/or a blackbox (simple QT movie export / MXF export with a regular clip of V1A1-4 does not reproduce this issue).

Can you do that please?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Apr 22 2020 12:25 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,309
    • Points 232,390
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Brian Berdan, ACE:

So this year we've been noticing that occasionally the head of an incoming audio clip doesn't play- misses the first few frames. This is just at the start of playback.  Now I found it happened in a quicktime export. That's concerning. Anyone else?

Brian

CReated a case and referenced JD's case from November of 2019 and the bug MCCET-3367.   Can you please provide steps that you take when you see it?  

1. Project format - 
    2. Link video and audio? 
    3.???????

4. Format options
    5. Video Compression: ??????   Codec
    6. Frame Rate: ??????
    7. Format: ?????

8. Audio
    9. Format: ???
    10. Sample Rate: ???
    11. Sample size: ???
    12. Channels: stereo or ?????

13. Export sequence as ???

Audio

Format: 

Sampling Rate: 

Bits per sample: 

Mix:

Sample exports available:   Can you send a sample of the issue?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Apr 22 2020 1:11 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Montréal, Canada
    • Posts 437
    • Points 5,725

Marianna:

jd....

I looked up the bug and Ryan did report this however they could not reproduce it and reached out to you under case # 03808778 but didnt get a response at all.

what was asked is as follows:

What type/resolution of source media is being used?

When you say add 'VO ' to A1 in the steps to reproduce - are you suggesting that the audio on V1 has to be created via the punch-in tool/how is it different from the audio you're adding to A1-4?

Please also provide screenshots of your export settings and/or a blackbox (simple QT movie export / MXF export with a regular clip of V1A1-4 does not reproduce this issue).

Can you do that please?

Marianna

Hi Marianna,

The last email I received from Ryan in tech support was on November 11th when he quoted the bug number. Prior to that, on October 24th, he wrote me stating that he HAD reproduced the issue. 

My outputs consist of short 1080i TV spots, usually between 30 and 50 seconds long.

The audio media being truncated is typically a mono broadcast WAVE send by our VO artist. I edit to A1, but I don't think the audio track matters in this case. The video media is usually DNxHD 145 MXF or ProRes 422 HQ, but the associated audio isn't usually affected. 

In my case, playback within MC sounds fine, but exporting (to OP1a MXF or Quicktime DNxHD 145), or doing an audio mixdown resulted in consistantly truncated audio for the affected sequence. This issue does not affect every sequence or project, though but those that truncated did so consistantly on both Windows 10 HP Z840s and a 2017 iMac Pro.

For me, this issue began with v2019.9. Rolling back MC to v2019.7 and re-exporting solved the issue immediately.

Avid Media Composer 2020.8 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID (DNxID Desktop Video Application v11.5.1), macOS 10.15.6, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 22 2020 3:01 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,309
    • Points 232,390
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

JD... 

I just asked that Ryan re-open the case.  GRRR not happy that a case with a bug associated was closed.  I have added a case for Brian as well.

My apologies and I am glad you posted or I wouldnt have known.

Im on it

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Apr 22 2020 4:16 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Montréal, Canada
    • Posts 437
    • Points 5,725

Thank you, Marianna,

I got a support email from David (Case : 03808778), but when I tried to reply to it, I got an automated message:

"Closed cases cannot be updated or reopened.

Please login to the selfservice portal at http://csportal.avid.com to create a case"

How should I proceed?

jd

• Wed, Apr 22 2020 6:05 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,309
    • Points 232,390
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

jd...

I cloned the old caase and assigned it to David...

standby

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller