Latest post Fri, Jan 10 2020 6:50 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 7 2020 5:39 PM

• mnbkyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 15 2015
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Posts 61
    • Points 700

Copying media to ISIS5500 workspaces creates corrupt clips

Very frustrating issue we've come across. To set the stage...months ago we  had a power outage that left our ISIS5500 with a lingering red "metadata error". All continued on as normal. Last week we had a drive fail and so I replaced it. But we keep getting errors like "FAILED TO GET SAMPLE SIZE FROM AMA PLUGIN" and "SWDC_CONSISTENCY CHECK FAILURE" when trying to transcode ama linked clips from the ISIS. Even some proxies get the swdc  consistency check failure...

but when I ama link to the same media from a near line storage, I do not get any of these errors.

This happens on all machines connected to the ISIS and clips become corrupt at random it seems.

Is a reimage of the ISIS in order?

ISIS 5500 4.7.13, Avid Media Composer various versions. z840, z420, imac trashcans [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 7 2020 8:44 PM In reply to

Re: Copying media to ISIS5500 workspaces creates corrupt clips

Hi,

Open the LSI Megaraid utility and check the status of your 3 raid sets. Are all 3 raid5 sets consisting of 5 drives present and healthy?

Furthermore, what kind of drive failed and what did you replace it with? 

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Tue, Jan 7 2020 8:59 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,294
    • Points 28,315
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

What version of ISIS System Director and Client software are you running? What OS are the computers?
    Assuming you don't have any errors in the Mgt Console or MegaRaid Utility I would encourage you to run the fastest version of ISIS and NEXIS client Manager.
    I also suggest updating the Broadcom/Avago/LSI MegaRAID utility.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Tue, Jan 7 2020 9:06 PM In reply to

• mnbkyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Posts 61
    • Points 700

One of the 2TB ISB's in the first raid set failed and I replaced it with another 2TB ISB I had on hand as a cold spare. Currently the LSI shows all 3 raid sets are "Optimal" and all of the individual drives are the same with media error counts at zero. So all are present and healthy, including the global hot spare.

Which is very odd...because now that I look in the ISIS Management Console, the system director logs show scattered warnings all related to DISK 2:

WARNING 01/07/2020 13:37:20 Avid ISIS Storage Manager ISIS DISK 2 bn 3020673 LBA 0x5c2f0200000 seqNum 0x0 Long Disk IO on DATA READ DiskIOTime 2.037380
    ISIS 5500 4.7.13, Avid Media Composer various versions. z840, z420, imac trashcans [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 7 2020 9:33 PM In reply to

• mnbkyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Posts 61
    • Points 700

Bob - 

ISIS 4.7.13

Client 19.12

Windows 10 on computers

• Tue, Jan 7 2020 9:51 PM In reply to

• mnbkyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Posts 61
    • Points 700

Here is the specific workflow that is causing these errors:

-Copy media from nearline storage to ISIS 5500.

-From client/editor workstation, AMA link to media on ISIS..transcode to dnxlb

-eventually transcode will stop with either "FAILED TO GET SAMPLE SIZE FROM AMA PLUGIN" or "SWDC_CONSISTENCY CHECK FAILURE".

-scrub through AMA clip and eventually clip will go black with white letters saying either "FAILED TO GET SAMPLE SIZE FROM AMA PLUGIN" or "SWDC_CONSISTENCY CHECK FAILURE".

-sometimes, even the transcoded proxies will yield this error when scrubbing through them.

WORKAROUND

-client AMA links to media on the original storage drive via house network

-transcodes successfully without errors.

It seems to be me that clips are being corrupted when copied to ISIS workspaces...

---all clients have updated ama plugins

• Tue, Jan 7 2020 10:01 PM In reply to

From your info I would conclude that the clips are actually not corrupted during the copy but for some reason one of the raid sets is too slow when reading from it. But what could cause that?

Can you do a pathdiag on a isis workspace to confirm you only receive read errors and not write errors?

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jan 7 2020 11:58 PM In reply to

• mnbkyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Posts 61
    • Points 700

Jeroen, here are the results from PathDiag:

File Access Method: Automatic

Writes then Reads sequentially

Transfer size - 4096 KB

Transfer rate - unlimited

Max File Size - 1000MB

• Wed, Jan 8 2020 4:32 AM In reply to

Hmm. No errors,

How are you connect to the Isis? 10G?

• Wed, Jan 8 2020 4:50 AM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    How are you connect to the Isis? 10G?

And which card you are using exactly?

MC 2020.6, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 8 2020 3:09 PM In reply to

• mnbkyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Posts 61
    • Points 700

Dual 1Gbit Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter

• Wed, Jan 8 2020 3:34 PM In reply to

mnbkyle:
    Dual 1Gbit Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter

Ok. Your read speed exceeds what is theoretically possible with 2x 1G. How that's reported by Pathdiag could be a hint on what is going on. But what that could be...? I'm puzzled.

Isis is only single connected with 10G to a Dell/Cisco/... switch I assume? 

• Wed, Jan 8 2020 3:43 PM In reply to

That machine's on board Nic is by accident not also connected to a switch and somebody made some changes in a switchconfiguration or even a physical bridge by which that client can also see the Isis through that Nic?

Have you checked that Nexis client is only using the intel pt1000 card in its Network interface settings?

• Wed, Jan 8 2020 7:49 PM In reply to

• mnbkyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Posts 61
    • Points 700

I did notice that in the Network Interface Settings on the Nexis client were checked to 3 ports - PRO/1000, Ethernet 1218-LM, and 1210 Gigabit Network Conneciton. I left only the PRO1000 checked. 

Path diag tests are below.

I then re-AMA linked to media and it still found corrupt spots with the errors listed earlier in this thread.

Next I deleted that media from the ISIS. Then copied over the same media from local storage back to the ISIS. AMA linked once again, started to transcode again, and now previously corrupt clips appear fine and different clips are corrupt resulting in the "Failed to get sample position from AMA plugin" error. So the corruption again is clips at random.

• Thu, Jan 9 2020 12:33 AM In reply to

If you can run the ISIS Toolbox drive health report that would be helpful. You might have another failing drive but has not been flagged yet as failed.

MC 2020.6, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller