Latest post Thu, Nov 21 2019 3:24 PM by nigelad. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 18 2019 8:08 PM

Speeding up clip on timeline introduces more footage...

Hi everyone, I have a small issue here. I am trying to speed up a 15 minute clip on the timeline. The problem I am having is when I speed it up, say to like 500%, it introduces parts of the clip that I originally cut out.. I have to go through and re edit the sequence/end of the clip that is sped up to remove what I do not want. How can I anchor the beginning and end of the clip and speed up only the cut footage that is already there? Thank you!

Using Mac, latest Media composer instaslled as of today..

• Mon, Nov 18 2019 8:22 PM In reply to

Re: Speeding up clip on timeline introduces more footage...

You'll have to shorten the shot.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Nov 21 2019 2:32 PM In reply to

If you think carefully about it, you can't simply 'anchor the beginning and end of the clip and speed up only the cut footage that is already there' Imagine your clip is like a length of elastic - shorten it (as the other reply suggests) and it'll run faster. Lengthen it and it'll run more slowly and you'll lose some frames unless you trim it out and lengthen it.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2020.6, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.14.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Thu, Nov 21 2019 3:24 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London UK
    • Posts 547
    • Points 6,365
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

It sounds like you want to use the selection in the timeline to create a shorter clip that runs at 5 times normal speed, and will therefore be 20% of the duration?

So either use a timewarp:trim to fill effect and trim the clip to 20% of it's length.

OR alt+match frame the timeline clip to load it into the source window with your mark in and out intact. Then use the source motion effect editor to create a new clip at 500% speed, remove the old clip and cut the motion effect one into your timeline.

HTH 

ISIS 5500, MC 18.12.7 & PT 18.12 on Mac OS 10.12.6 & 10.13.6 with BMD Mini-Monitors, UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller