Latest post Mon, Oct 14 2019 3:21 PM by jlomicka. 55 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (56 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 4 2019 4:13 PM

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 329
    • Points 3,860

96K audio?

Is there any way to work with 96k/24 bit audio directly within Media Composer? I can export a sequence as 96K but can't seem to import clips or audio files at 96K.

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 4 2019 4:59 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 491
    • Points 5,770

Re: 96K audio?

It seems the maximum for import is 48,000khz. 

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 4 2019 5:16 PM In reply to

Not at my system right now, but I'm 99% sure that Nitris DX supported 96K audio, and would let you set the Audio clock rate to 96K.

*edit* looks like the DX hardware could, but modern hardware does not support it.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/servlet/fileField?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fen_US%2Fcompatibility%2FAvid-Video-I-O-Hardware-Feature-Comparison&entityId=ka15A0000003g8GQAQ&field=Attachment_1__Body__s

*edit2* logged into my studio systems. On my SW-only iMac, I can only choose 32/44/48 in Audio Project Settings. On my Nitris DX system, I can set the Audio Project settings to 96K as well. So it appears to be determined by hardware.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 4 2019 6:11 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 329
    • Points 3,860

Thank you. I don't have Nitris or DX hardware. However my audio hardware is a MOTU 8M which supports up to 192K/24 bit. But when I try and import clips or audio files the maximum audio sample rate I have access to is 48k. So that seems to be set by Media Composer rather than my hardware. I guess no way to get access to higher rates with my current setup?

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 4 2019 6:22 PM In reply to

Can you change the clock in Audio Project Settings?

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 4 2019 6:37 PM In reply to

• jlomicka
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 4 2010
    • Posts 30
    • Points 425
    • Avid Developer Moderator
      Avid Employee

In "Import" settings on the "Audio" pane, remove the checkmark from "Sample rate convert source sample rate to project sample rate", and after that the 96K files you import will stay at 96K in the bin.  Conversion to 48K will be done on playback, but the media will remain original.

That is assuming that when you use the word "import" you mean the same as Media Composer "Import".  If you actually meant "capture", as in realtime recording, then no, to get 96Khz sample rate you need to capture with a Nitris DX or capture outside of Media Composer and "Import" or "Link" that media into your project.

• Fri, Oct 4 2019 8:35 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 329
    • Points 3,860

jlomicka:

In "Import" settings on the "Audio" pane, remove the checkmark from "Sample rate convert source sample rate to project sample rate", and after that the 96K files you import will stay at 96K in the bin.  Conversion to 48K will be done on playback, but the media will remain original.

That is assuming that when you use the word "import" you mean the same as Media Composer "Import".  If you actually meant "capture", as in realtime recording, then no, to get 96Khz sample rate you need to capture with a Nitris DX or capture outside of Media Composer and "Import" or "Link" that media into your project.

This all sounds very promising but I can't find 'Import' settings in an 'Audio' pane. I can find Settings/Project/Media Creation  and that has Import settings but no audio sampling option and I can find 'Input' within Settings/Project/Audio Project settings but I can't find what you outline.

And yes, I do mean 'Import' rather than Capture. I am importing 96K/24 bit wav files.

Any more guidance gratefully received.

Best, Phil

• Fri, Oct 4 2019 8:42 PM In reply to

• jlomicka
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 425
      Avid Employee

It is the "Audio" pane OF the "Import" setting.

If you are on 2019.x, Import is in the "user" settings, between "Grid" and "Interface". 

If you are on an older build, it's there in alphabetical order mixed in with project settings.

You can also get there if you hit the OPTIONS button in the file import dialog, and then again after you get the first set of options, to get more options.  That takes you to the import settings dialog.

• Fri, Oct 4 2019 8:46 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 329
    • Points 3,860

Thank you - I was just about to say that I found it in 'User' - thanks so much for your help. I'll try this method.

• Fri, Oct 4 2019 9:52 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 329
    • Points 3,860

jlomicka:

It is the "Audio" pane OF the "Import" setting.

If you are on 2019.x, Import is in the "user" settings, between "Grid" and "Interface". 

If you are on an older build, it's there in alphabetical order mixed in with project settings.

You can also get there if you hit the OPTIONS button in the file import dialog, and then again after you get the first set of options, to get more options.  That takes you to the import settings dialog.

I think I've overlooked something. Ultimately I want to create sequences with 96k audio. I then want to export these sequences from MC as 96k files. I have now manged to import the audio files as 96k, with your help, and I have cut them into my sequences. However I have now exported one of the seqences and the audio is 48k which is the project sample rate. I can't see how to export my sequences as 96k. If I can't do that then there is no point in me importing the audio files for these sequences as 96k.

Is there a way round this? Can I create 96k sequences in MC with my setup, and export them as such?

Best, Phil

• Fri, Oct 4 2019 10:06 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 329
    • Points 3,860

I now see that I can set 96k when I select my export settings. Hopefully this will work.

• Fri, Oct 4 2019 10:12 PM In reply to

• jlomicka
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 425
      Avid Employee

I think your only option would be to export as an AAF sequence, and take the AAF to something that can render it out as 96 in your fomat of choice. 

I found even mixdown was converting to project rate.

What export format is letting you select 96?
    If you are setting it in Quicktime Custom, then you are probably converting to 48 and then back to 96.

• Fri, Oct 4 2019 10:28 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 329
    • Points 3,860

jlomicka:

I think your only option would be to export as an AAF sequence, and take the AAF to something that can render it out as 96 in your fomat of choice. 

I found even mixdown was converting to project rate.

What export format is letting you select 96?
    If you are setting it in Quicktime Custom, then you are probably converting to 48 and then back to 96.

I am using ProRes 422 HQ for export and selecting 96k in the audio settings. I hope it isn't converting my 96k audio to 48k and then back again. Is that how it will work? That would be a waste of time.

• Sat, Oct 5 2019 1:47 PM In reply to

Pretty sure that is what happens. Besides, I would recommend against using any Custom QT export options (which is what you appear to be doing when exporting to APR). If you need to export to ProRes, it is IMHO faster and safer to mixdown or transcode to ProRes _inside_ Media Composer, then export Same as Source. You avoid the old slow, 32bit QT engine, which is prone to gamma issues as well.

• Sat, Oct 5 2019 2:17 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 329
    • Points 3,860

Job ter Burg:

Pretty sure that is what happens. Besides, I would recommend against using any Custom QT export options (which is what you appear to be doing when exporting to APR). If you need to export to ProRes, it is IMHO faster and safer to mixdown or transcode to ProRes _inside_ Media Composer, then export Same as Source. You avoid the old slow, 32bit QT engine, which is prone to gamma issues as well.

Thank you - that's helpful. But your method won't give me 96k audio will it?

Page 1 of 4 (56 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller