Latest post Mon, Jul 22 2019 7:40 PM by Telegram!. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 19 2019 4:03 PM

• mmagder
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 1 2010
    • Passaic NJ
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,695

Can you preset the Quick Transition box to open with any other length a than 30 fr dissovle

Can you preset the Quick Transition box to open with anything other than a 30 fr dissovle. Can i make it 2O or some other number that i use all the time instead of having to change it everytime i make a dissolve. Or do it some other way. This has been bugging me for years. It seems so obvious, but like everything else in Avid you can never find it!

Sorry for the hostility and bitterness!

thanks

Mac OSX 10.14.5 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5 MC 2019.7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 19 2019 4:18 PM In reply to

Re: Can you preset the Quick Transition box to open with any other length a than 30 fr dissovle

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 19 2019 5:36 PM In reply to

• mmagder
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Passaic NJ
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,695

Re: Can you preset the Quick Transition box to open with any other length a than 30 fr dissovle

thank you, i tried to follow the instructions, i can't get the preset to show up in the pull down in the quick transition box? Do you know where the this folder is inside avid?

thanks

• Fri, Jul 19 2019 6:36 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 102
    • Points 1,345

It's not a folder. It is just a bin that you have to create and keep in your project. Put your templates inside that bin and that should do the trick. It still works, even in 2019.6

• Fri, Jul 19 2019 8:30 PM In reply to

• mmagder
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Passaic NJ
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,695

Thats what i did, doesnt show up?

• Fri, Jul 19 2019 9:39 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 102
    • Points 1,345

Bin name spelled correctly? Upper/lower case, space, 's' at the end? Maybe an exotic character in the template's name? Did you save/close the bin?

The mandatory question: did you create new user settings for 2019.6?

I guess using the template manually (dragging it from the bin onto your edit) would not already speed things a little up for you?

Edit: I wonder if the pull down menu item would really make it faster for you. Because [open menu]+[select template]+[return] will probably take more or less the same time as [type in dissolve value]+[press return]. If there is no nifty way in Media Composer itself - I don't know, but maybe someone else does - you could use something like Keyboard Maestro, save your favourite dissolve as a macro, map it to a key and you would have a one button solution.

• Sat, Jul 20 2019 7:26 AM In reply to

mmagder:

Can you preset the Quick Transition box to open with anything other than a 30 fr dissovle. Can i make it 2O or some other number that i use all the time instead of having to change it everytime i make a dissolve. Or do it some other way. This has been bugging me for years. It seems so obvious, but like everything else in Avid you can never find it!

Sorry for the hostility and bitterness!

thanks

Hi mmagder, “

Don’t blame Avid or yourself— I think You cannot find a way to do what you want because it’s hiding in plain sight. After studying the Quick Transition tool for like 2 minutes and 20+ years,  I have observed that when you first press the Quick Transition button while parked on an edit, It defaults to a 30 Frame Centered Dissolve with the cursor parked on the Duration field ready to receive your preferred number, then to be followed by Enter. And here’s the beauty part-  the next time you use Quick Transition tool it’s all the same as last time except it defaults to your previous number, (no longer 30, right?). So it seems Avid in its infinite wisdom has read your mind and is giving you a super quick way to repeat your favorite length, who-cares-just drop a centered Dissolve on it, effect. I prefer “33” because it’s easier to type  and I could save it in the “Quick Transitions” Bin — a trick that still works, and Cutyes is very correct, you do not leave off the ‘s’, even though the tool itself does, which is so cool and why we love our Media Composer software, for stuffs justs likes thats! 

Now you can help me, and please feel free Thanks! to add some good-natured hostility in you reply: Is it just my system or is anyone else not able to type anywhere into the Quick Transition box until they move it slightly first? 

(v2019.6 Win)?

Thanks!

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 20 2019 10:07 PM In reply to

• Aren Hansen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 15 2016
    • Toronto
    • Posts 54
    • Points 590

I use keyboard maestro to do exactly this. Works great.

2018.12.3 iMac 2019 3.6 i9 // 72GB Ram // Vega 48 // Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt // OWC Thunderbay [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 21 2019 5:19 PM In reply to

• mmagder
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Passaic NJ
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,695

Wow that got it!!! Thanks i always saw it was doing something with last edit, but i never really put it together. Avid shoiuld really give out awards for the best answer of the day! month year ect.

As far as your question, i can type into my q t box without moving it.

All the best

and thanks again

• Mon, Jul 22 2019 7:40 PM In reply to

mmagder:

Wow that got it!!! Thanks i always saw it was doing something with last edit, but i never really put it together. Avid shoiuld really give out awards for the best answer of the day! month year ect.

As far as your question, i can type into my q t box without moving it.

All the best

and thanks again

You’re welcome! It’s very handy to know and you’ll see how you can simply park on an existing effect, click Add and have it‘s values ready on a new Quick Transition effect. Thanks for checking on that other thing, too.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller