Latest post Thu, Jul 4 2019 4:07 PM by Graeme Bowd. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 1 2019 1:20 PM

• Graeme Bowd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 12 2009
    • St Albans, UK
    • Posts 52
    • Points 755

Stabilize effects — very disappointing

Am I alone in thinking that Media Composer's stablize effects are just not up to the job? Yes, they can improve a wobbly shot, but not as much as they should. I'm talking about both "stablize" and "region stablize" in the effect palette. The other day I was working beside an editor with Final Cut Pro. I was playing around with the parameters to reduce the movement in a shot, and he was surprised at how ineffective Avid's tools were. I sent him the shot and he was able to treat it in FCP's "tripod" mode and the result was excellent — whereas MC left the shot still far from stable and introduced a subtle flexing/stretching motion which is not acceptabe when you're working to broadcast standards. I've also seen much better results from Adobe Premier.

I know there are various plug-ins like ProAv which can address this problem, but these are expensive, and frankly MC should do better. Avid claim that MC is the gold standard of NLE software, but after using it for 15 years I'm surprised how poor it is in some areas, and how full of bugs, evidenced by tens of thousands of posts on these forums.

I still love Media Composer, when everything goes right. But sometimes it frustrates me to hell! For a mature application, MC falls well short of what I expect and pay for, and I wish Avid would address some of the issues instead of concentrating its efforts on marketing gimmics.

21" Imac (2015) running Mac OS 14.4.4 Intel I5 3.1ghz processor. 16G RAM. Thunderbolt to AJA i/o XT. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 4 2019 2:41 PM In reply to

Re: Stabilize effects — very disappointing

If you have BCC, try the Optical Stabilizer under Image Restoration.  

I agree Avid needs to upgrade the basic effects built into MC...and expand the definition of what "basic" encompasses in 2019.   Thirty years ago, a dissolve was a welcome effect when coming from systems needing multiple playback decks to cross-fade.   Today, stabilizing, keying, advanced color correction, etc., are the new basics.  We shouldn't need to go outside of MC (or buy a costly plug-in) to perform these basic tasks.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, Jul 4 2019 4:07 PM In reply to

• Graeme Bowd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 12 2009
    • St Albans, UK
    • Posts 52
    • Points 755

Re: Stabilize effects — very disappointing

Quite right Terry, I couldn't have put it better. I've just been using Izotope to address an audio issue. This has very effectively removed a backgorund hiss on an interview (radio mic interference). Avid's own tools could not do the job. If 3rd party developers can solve this sort of problem, why can't Avid do it? I could name many areas where Media Composer seems to fall far short of the competition. To be fair there are also areas where it excels, such as organising media in large projects. But it really needs to sharpen up on the basics,

21" Imac (2015) running Mac OS 14.4.4 Intel I5 3.1ghz processor. 16G RAM. Thunderbolt to AJA i/o XT. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller