Latest post Thu, May 9 2019 11:14 PM by BobRusso. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 9 2019 7:59 PM

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 395
    • Points 5,070

dual 1Gb connection - client to Isis 5500 question

I have a Nexis and have one of my macpros connected via two 1Gb connections and it works great.  I didn't have to tell the Nexis server software or do anything to the switch (Netgear 1Gb/10Gb switch). All I did I was configure the client software properly and the OSX network prefs.

I am helping a friend that has an Isis 5500 and a Dell n2048 switch. We connected both of the macpro's nic ports to the Dell switch and configured the client software properly (checkboxed both nic connections). With the Nexis this is all I had to do and I was moving files at 180MB/s + and editing with more realtime tracks than I could previously.  On the Isis we're getting 110MB/s which is what one 1Gb connection should give me. We also can't play back the additional tracks we thought we'd be able to. Same model mac pro I'm using elsewhere with success. I don't recall the versions of the OS or MC at this time.

Is there something extra to do with an Isis 5500 to get dual 1Gb networking to one client system? 

Thank you.

-Cablet

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 9 2019 8:12 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,263
    • Points 27,955
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: dual 1Gb connection - client to Isis 5500 question

Does each NIC have its own IP Address? Is LACP or some other bonding isn't enabled?

Does each NIC separately work? How is the 5500 connected to the switch? It should be 10GigE.

There's nothing special you need to do with the 5500 over what you did with NEXIS.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Thu, May 9 2019 8:31 PM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 395
    • Points 5,070

Thanks for the response. 

Each nic does have it's own ip address and they do each work when the other is unplugged. We are not using LACP nor any other type of bonding on the switch. The 5500 is using 10Gb to the switch. 

I'll keep digging into this. Thank you.

-Cablet

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 9 2019 8:41 PM In reply to

1. I assume this is a MacPro 5,1 or 6,1? iMac Pro's 10Gb port is unusable with ISIS.

2. Make sure that the computer (System Pref -> Network -> Advanced - Hardware) and the switch are detecting both connections as 1Gb and Jumbo Frames are disabled.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 9 2019 11:14 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,263
    • Points 27,955
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

What version of ISIS is the system director running and what version of the client? 
    As a test you can set it up as direct connect and give each NIC an IP address  in the subnet and 2x1 gig should work.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller