Latest post Thu, Apr 4 2019 10:32 PM by Martin in Chicago. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 4 2019 6:35 PM

Workspace "Show Dual Monitor" vs. "Single Monitor" Quandary

I've recently installed MC 2018.11.0 and, being a good boy, I am now rebuilding my very complicated user settings from the ground up. I haven't done this in a while so I am fairly certain I am overlooking whatever is causing my current issue.

Current Issue: As I cycle through my freshly built workspaces, Composer maintains the monitor placement, dimension and configuration (e.g. Single or Dual) of the previous workspace. I get Dual Monitor if that's what the previous workspace had and Single if that was the case, even if this is not what the current workspace calls for.  Also timeline placement reflects the previous workspace. Workaround: Pressing the workspace shortcut button a second time updates the workspace to the desired settings (this all applies to selecting workspaces from the pulldwon menu as well).

Details: I like my Source/Record workspace to show the conventional Dual Monitor configuration. I like the Effects and Audio workspaces to have Single Monitor configuration. And I have lots of other specialized aspects to each workspace. In each of my custom workspaces, I have selected "Linked to Named Settings" and filled in the window with the name of my workspace ("1 Source/Record," "2 Audio" and "3 Effects"). I have created coordinatingly named versions of my Composer, Timeline and Timeline View settings for each of my three (so far) workspaces.

Toggling through the workspaces does update many of the desired arrangements — the custom timeline changes; the position of the Project window moves as I'd like; in my Audio workspace, the Audio Mixer and other tools open as I'd like and appear where I want them to, etc. But Composer and the timeline's relation to it seems to retain the previous layout. And hitting the button a second time fixes it.

OK, I'm being redundant and who reads these when they're really long anyway? I feel there's a button I'm not selecting in a user setting. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Martin

MC 2018.11.0, OS 10.13.6, Early 2009 Nehalem MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core updated with Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB system drive, 32 GB RAM and ATI Radeon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 4 2019 9:52 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,694
    • Points 44,430

Re: Workspace "Show Dual Monitor" vs. "Single Monitor" Quandary

Hello again Martin!

One thing about workspaces someone suggested soon after they came out was to never modify the default workpaces, but to duplicate one, RENAME it something (I think that was the important step) and the modify, save and use that one.

I have followed this voodoo successfully since that time.

This seems close to what you describe, but I thought I would share.

If this does not help, well, it was nice chatting.

Cheers,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Apr 4 2019 10:32 PM In reply to

Re: Workspace "Show Dual Monitor" vs. "Single Monitor" Quandary

Yeah, I did always work from a duplicate. In fact, I accidentally tried to modify an original once today and it will no longer even let you do that by accident.

Woe the luck,

Martin

MC 2018.11.0, OS 10.13.6, Early 2009 Nehalem MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core updated with Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB system drive, 32 GB RAM and ATI Radeon... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller