Latest post Fri, Jan 18 2019 2:46 PM by diegovillalba. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 17 2019 12:51 PM

iNEWS locater support

Hi people, sorry because this is an operational question about iNes, and has nothing to do with it development, but I think you are the ones who can help me ith it.

I found this in Avid website, Within features:

https://www.avid.com/products/media-composer-newscutter-option#Bundles

It says:

"iNEWS locater support

Drop preselected text, based on iNEWS locaters, directly on the Media Composer timeline to speed story creation."

What does that mean, and if you can explain briefly this feature.

Thanks!

Diego

* Media Composer 2019.6 * Interplay | Production 3.8.1 * Media Central 2.10.5 * iNews 2017.2 * Interplay MAM 5.9

• Thu, Jan 17 2019 1:14 PM In reply to

• olenad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 6 2014
    • Posts 36
    • Points 395

Re: iNEWS locater support

Hi Diego,

This seems to be Media Composer feature

Not sure if there is forum for Media Composer product

You may find some more information about your question in Media Composer user guides I suppose

Thanks,

Olena

• Thu, Jan 17 2019 1:23 PM In reply to

Hi Olena, thanks for your answer,

it is supposed that I'm one of the guys who can help people with Media Composer/Newscutter, and I know which is locators' functionality inside of it, also's NRCS, but having read "based on iNEWS locaters", I was wondering what are they, because I understand that based on that text, they belong to iNews. Can I be wrong?

Thanks!

Diego

* Media Composer 2019.6 * Interplay | Production 3.8.1 * Media Central 2.10.5 * iNews 2017.2 * Interplay MAM 5.9

• Fri, Jan 18 2019 1:32 PM In reply to

• olenad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 6 2014
    • Posts 36
    • Points 395

Hi Diego,

in iNEWS client there is no such thing as "iNEWS locater", because user works with text data (story text) and not video/audio output

So I asked colleagues the same question and here it is response I've got, hope this will help:

"There are a couple of things this could be.....I cannot connect to an iNEWS system at the moment as I have no VPN from within the Pentagon so bear with me.

There is an option that you can create In and Out marks on the timeline using the text of the story. This requires that when a sequence is created you assign a duration in the NRCS setting in order to display in and out marks...which the factory default is :30 for. This is problematic as if you only edit :20 and send it to playback it sends a :30 second sequence with the last 10 seconds in black....which throws you for a loop in the control room. So we usually disable this feature due to that. 

We also of course factor in the On camera portion of a script into this timing....which is problematic from a time perspective. You can change the 0 point...but you do have to edit the script to do that (some sites do not allow that) so that can be problematic. 

Honestly the most common workflow I recommend is just to select the text in the tool and look at the block time which has no pitfalls and allows me to look at the duration of a VO or where we estimate we would see certain things in the video based on the read rate. 

There is also the Loaded Cue function where if you are in Edit mode (again some drawbacks here) where you drag an asset from your bin to the iNEWS story. which you can then drag it to the source or edit from it. I have never used this workflow for much."

Thanks,

Olena

• Fri, Jan 18 2019 2:46 PM In reply to

olenad:
    in iNEWS client there is no such thing as "iNEWS locater"

Nor even in NewsCutter!!! at least with that name. I did a search in the latest editing app manual in case it was a new feature which I was unaware.

The manual calls the feature you mentioned as "Setting Timeline IN and OUT Points Based on Story Timing".

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Helvetica; color: #3b1a8c}

Thank you anyway for your help. I just want to add that the sequence is only based on those 30 default length seconds in case you have a short script which its reading time is less than 30 secs, or if you create the sequence based on an empty script story.

To avoid those seconds in black at the end of the sequence, I found useful to change the Default Value in the iNews Tab of NRCS Setting to 5 seconds instead.

Thank you, people, to help me with that, at this point I'm starting to think what the web says is closer to a wrong description of a feature than a real iNews' feature.

Thanks!!!!

Diego

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller