Latest post Thu, Aug 9 2018 9:44 AM by Bruno M. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 8 2018 2:40 AM

MC 2018.7 approved NVIDIA driver is THREE YEARS OLD

Any chance MC will support a current driver soon? 

It really cramps my style when I can't open certain applications because my GPU driver is out of date. 

Lenovo P710 Windows 10 Pro Dual Xeon E5-2643 v4 3.4GHz (6-core) 64 GB RAM NVIDIA M4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 8 2018 1:15 PM In reply to

• Sion Roberts
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 5 2011
    • Manchester
    • Posts 28
    • Points 370

Re: MC 2018.7 approved NVIDIA driver is THREE YEARS OLD

Agreed.

The Nvidia driver on my Zbook Studio may be Avid qualified but is actually unstable and causes the screen to go black periodically.

Unsurprisingly, the lastest Nvidia driver causes Avid to crash when it tries to load the OpenGL effects during startup, so I have to stick with the buggy driver.

It would be great to get the next point release working with latest driver please Avid!

Thanks

HP Z820 Intel Zeon CPU E5-2640 @ 2.50GHz, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M4000. Windows 10 Pro, Avid Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 9 2018 9:44 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 498
    • Points 6,300

Re: MC 2018.7 approved NVIDIA driver is THREE YEARS OLD

I can see why it would be difficult for Avid to test out every new point release of Nvidia driver on every supported configuration of hardware and OS.

My personal approach on this is once I have a working system, I don't update drivers unless something stops working. I always clone my boot drive before any major software installation and test my main applications before updating any Nvidia drivers. If there's a major driver incompatibility between the various applications that can't be resolved, I'll just go back to my last good installation and wait for the manufacturers to sort the problems out.

I'm still on Win 7, so most recently I upgraded Avid from version 8.4 to 8.10 and Resolve from 12.5 to 15 beta. The Nvidia drivers are still on 377.61 and everything works fine, so I'm not going to upgrade to the Avid recommended version (385.08) unless there's a need to.

In my experience, it's often when you update drivers that things start going wrong!

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760WSonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DXSymphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller