Latest post Fri, Jul 20 2018 2:59 PM by Bruno M. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 17 2018 9:46 PM

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

Syncing music?

I think maybe I have the wrong idea about markers. I thought you could use them to line up two tracks so as to sycronize two different visuals or a visual and an audio track. Picture is of a car, someone slams the door and I, hypothetically, need to line up two video tracks with the sound of the door slamming. I could play around with it, slipping the audio up and back as needed but I was hoping there might be a way to do this somewhat more automatically. I am doing a short music documentary and had to shoot some performance footage with a "wild" camera recording two takes of a song. Now I need to match up the two, and I am, so far, just eyeballing the vocals, drums, etc. in order to find places to sync.  Very time consuming, so I was hoping for a better way. If anyone has a shortcut, I would be deeply greatful.  Thanks!

• Wed, Jul 18 2018 6:17 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,757
    • Points 48,070
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Syncing music?

What you want to use is Sync Point editing. Right-click in the record monitor and enable Sync Point editing. Note that the overwrite icon now has a little orange bar underneath it. Load the clip you want to insert in the source monitor, and set the playhead to the position where you want it to line up. Set the playhead in the record monitor that you want to match. Select the track(s) where you want the insert to happen. And here's the important part; set the In and Out marks in EITHER the source monitor, or the record monitor and clear the marks in the other (otherwise you'll get an error messae about too many marks set). Hit the overwrite icon and the clip will be inserted with the frames lined up where you want them.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Jul 19 2018 2:35 AM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

Wow!! This is amazing! I can't believe I have been editing so long on Avid (like since the year it hit the market) and never discovered this feature. Don't know how it got by me. The blind squirrel missed the boat totally.*

So anyway, thank you so much for pointing this out to me. I just tried it out with a couple of clips and it worked flawlessly. This is going to save me a ton of time syncing up all the music stuff I shot. I know the right way to do this is with multiple cameras, jam sync'ed time code, etc. but when you have zero budget, you do what you can.

Actually, its pretty amazing what you can accomplish with just a DSLR, a Handycam, a Tascam audio recorder and a great deal of sweat equity. If you want to see a sample, check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcvMLcv-ra0

Please keep in mind this is a very ruff cut and did not benefit from the Sync Point editing that I just learned about. I can't wait to cut together the rest of the songs I shot.

So again, thank you, thank you, thank you!  This Avid community is great!

• Thu, Jul 19 2018 2:37 AM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

You the man...er..woman...person DSTONE!!

• Thu, Jul 19 2018 2:37 AM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

* Even a blind squirell finds some nuts.

• Thu, Jul 19 2018 9:16 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 697
    • Points 8,750

I use a method that doesn't require any in or out points. The key to this is using the 'Replace Edit' function. By default, you can find this in the fast menu (between the source and record monitors) but I like to dedicate a keyboard key to this. You'll find it in the Console in the Edit tab - it's the blue coloured arrow.

Once you have this set-up, the procedure is as follows...

1) Place the playhead in the position required on the Record Monitor - no in or outpoints required

2) Place the the Source Monitor playhead to the required position - again, no in or outpoints required

3) hit the Replace Edit key - and that's it!

The additional advantage to this method is that the record playhead doesn't jump to the end of the clip, but stays where it is, giving you an instant visual confirmation (with video replacements) that the edit worked as expected.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 19 2018 6:48 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

bushfilm:

You the man...er..woman...person DSTONE!!

DAVE STONE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Jul 19 2018 11:27 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

So with no in or out points, how does MC know which edit to replace? Or does it simply replace the edit that the playhead is located in? Sounds like a quick method, and I'll give it a try. Thanks a mucho for the help!!

And by the way, is there any way to stop the expansion bar from jumping to the end of the timeline when you make a change in timeline size? it's annoying to have to drag it back to the head every time.

Appreciate your help!!

• Fri, Jul 20 2018 9:20 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 697
    • Points 8,750

bushfilm:
    does it simply replace the edit that the playhead is located in?

That's exactly how it works - just make sure you've got the correct track selected (V1, V2 etc)

bushfilm:
    s there any way to stop the expansion bar from jumping to the end of the timeline when you make a change in timeline size? it's annoying to have to drag it back to the head every time.

What's the expansion bar? Do you mean the scale bar or scroll bar?

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 20 2018 2:04 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

I am guessing its the scale bar? You move it right or left to zoom in or out of the timeline. Seems like every time I use it, it jumps to the tail end of the timeline and I have to drag it back to the place where I am working. Hope I'm explaining this clearly.

Thanks again for your help.

• Fri, Jul 20 2018 2:07 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

Dang, it's not the scale part that moves, it's the tab or button that allows you to position the timeline essentially in the center of the workspace, sliding it back and forth as needed to show a section of the timeline. Hope that clarifies it a little. 

• Fri, Jul 20 2018 2:59 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 697
    • Points 8,750

bushfilm:
    it's not the scale part that moves, it's the tab or button that allows you to position the timeline essentially in the center of the workspace, sliding it back and forth as needed to show a section of the timeline.

I don't know what button or tab you're referring to.

If I look at the scale bar (the shorter bar of the two sliders) I see the slider itself, which allows you to zoom in/out of the timeline. Either side of the slider is a button that has a legend that look like a little box, and these perform the same function as the slider but in pre-determined steps. On my version of MC, using either the slider or the buttons, the cursor (or playhead) stays in the middle and doesn't jump to the end of the timeline. Don't know what version of MC you have, but it could be behavior that changed with different versions.

As a matter of interest, have you tried using the Ctrl + square bracket to zoom in/out of your timeline? The [ bracket zooms out, and the ] bracket zooms in. I use this key combination in preference to using the scroll bars, and the playhead always stays in the middle when I use this method.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller