Latest post Tue, Jun 26 2018 8:29 PM by Kevin Klimek. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 26 2018 5:47 PM

• dfessak
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 1 2007
    • Posts 161
    • Points 1,945

Import Colors Off

Hello,

I have a project that I am finally finihing and conforming. It was color corrected out of house, but when I import the files the color house gave us into the project the colors are off. It is undersaturated and the contrast looks low. Any idea why this is?

We have gotten files from the color house before without a problem and I am transcoding the files as I always have, but these files are off. I went back and looked at some other recent projects they color graded for us and noticed that the colors are off from how they were color graded for us as well. 

This happens regardless on how I try to bring the files in- transcoding, importing and AMA'ing the files all give the sme result, undersaturated and low contrast.

The thing is though that we had a different color house do a color grade for us recently and those files when imported into the Avid match the files that they gave us.

Any ideas why this may be happening?

• Tue, Jun 26 2018 6:33 PM In reply to

Re: Import Colors Off

Sounds like you have your import setting set to "Scale from Full range to Legal Range" when in fact your footage is legal range.

Could that be the case?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jun 26 2018 6:49 PM In reply to

• dfessak
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 161
    • Points 1,945

I thought that too, but when I change the setting it just does the same thing.

• Tue, Jun 26 2018 7:16 PM In reply to

Can you post a small file as a sample?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jun 26 2018 7:39 PM In reply to

• dfessak
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 161
    • Points 1,945

Unfortunately we are forbidden from doing things like that here at work.

• Tue, Jun 26 2018 7:49 PM In reply to

What kind of files are they? Where are they coming from?

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jun 26 2018 7:53 PM In reply to

• dfessak
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 161
    • Points 1,945

They are Prores 422 HQ files thst were graded using Baselight.

• Tue, Jun 26 2018 8:00 PM In reply to

Have you tried just linking and consolidating? Let them re-wrap as ProRes MXF and nothing changes.

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jun 26 2018 8:08 PM In reply to

• dfessak
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 161
    • Points 1,945

If I just link to it it does the same thing. I tried every way I can think of to bring it in and it does it for everything.

We contacted the post house that did the color correct and they are saying that there is a natural color shift when you bring stuff into Avid and that that is why they think it is happening. But they also say they are not that famiiiar with Avid.

• Tue, Jun 26 2018 8:29 PM In reply to

What does the Source Setting > Color Encoding of the linked file look like?

Also, as a test, do you see a difference between what you see when the file is LINKED and what it looks like when CONSOLIDATED (not transcoded)? Perhaps they are off from what you expect, but are they identical?

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller