Latest post Fri, Apr 27 2018 9:19 PM by camoscato. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 27 2018 8:13 PM

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,565

change white-on-black titles to red-on-white... and now title 2 doesn't appear at all.

Hi there,

Title 1 (which is the first part of a title) comes up and lasts six seconds let's say.  Title 2 comes up at the 3 second mark, and finishes the title.  Title 1 is on track 4, title 2 is below it, on track 3.

It all works fine when my titles were white lettering on a black background (which is my default).  But after changing (at my client's request) the lettering to red and the background to white, title 1 shows up fine... but title 2 (which I've laid in on the track below at the 3-second mark) doesn't show up at all!

I'm doing something wrong, I know.  But I can't figure out what it is.  

If someone would let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 27 2018 8:36 PM In reply to

Re: change white-on-black titles to red-on-white... and now title 2 doesn't appear at all.

This is a guess.

When making white titles on a black background, your black background isn't actually black; it's transparent. So when you bring up title 2 below title 1, they both show up because they're both just white text on transparent backgrounds.

Red on white, on the other hand, are both red text on opaque white, so when you lay one over the other, you cover the first one with the second.

If this turns out to be true, the way to make red on white would be to have title 1 on track 3 and title 2 on track 4, and crop the side of title 2 so when it comes up you can still see title 1.

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Apr 27 2018 9:06 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,565

Re: change white-on-black titles to red-on-white... and now title 2 doesn't appear at all.

thank you so much for your help.  In the end, I phoned the client and told him I needed a bit of time, which he happily agreed to, and then, with the pressure off, I played around and tried this and that, including, I think, a version of what you suggested... and the titles are working.  I don't know if I could do it again to the next title, so I'm just copying these first two (that do work), and pasting them in where the next title goes and then editing the text so it's correct.

Again, thanks so much.

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 27 2018 9:19 PM In reply to

Hi Malcolm,

mhamilton:
    I don't know if I could do it again to the next title, so I'm just copying these first two (that do work), and pasting them in where the next title goes and then editing the text so it's correct.

Hey, dude, whatever works! :)

Carl

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller