Latest post Wed, Jun 27 2018 5:19 PM by Marianna. 40 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 24 2018 8:04 PM In reply to

Re: iMac Pro and ISIS 5500 not playing well together

The NIC on the iMac Pro is a 10GBase-T. What Switch and cable is being used?

Is the issue only with Finder copies? Does PathDiag or other bandwidth tools work well?

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Tue, Apr 24 2018 8:32 PM In reply to

• hodgesjl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 1 2013
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

Using cat 5e to Cisco 4948e switch. PathDiag bombs as does BMD Speedtest. I get this error: number =9 with PathDiag. Says error writing sample data

• Tue, Apr 24 2018 8:56 PM In reply to

• hodgesjl
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

. . . also, the NIC on the iMac pro automatically configures to 1000 BaseT when I plug into our server. 

• Tue, Apr 24 2018 11:42 PM In reply to

I concur with hodgesjl - same setup here.**

According to what I came across this passed weekend it looks like the OSX ignores any manual settings for NIC - regardless of it being used as 1G or 10G.

OS X 10.13.3 and .4 may have included a fix for some prodocoles - i.e. stops ignoring what ever settings the driver should be using.

The reason why I ended up using a desktop file copy test was simply that it was enough to recreate the problem.

Having wasted countless hours to boot the MC or use PathDiag it became apparent that I got the same error by copying a file to or from the desktop.

This is clearly an issue for Apple to fix - and perhaps Avid to figure out a temp solution.

** All equipment according to Avid specs.

• Wed, Apr 25 2018 7:04 PM In reply to

What is the client type selected in the Client Manager? It should be medium for a 1GigE Connection, but you can change this to see if makes a difference.

In the Client Manager, is the only Network Interface selected the one that is going to the ISIS?

• Wed, Apr 25 2018 7:43 PM In reply to

• hodgesjl
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

Medium is selected. I tried High and Ultra High to no avail. Network Interface is only the one going to ISIS

• Wed, Apr 25 2018 8:59 PM In reply to

hodgesjl:

Using cat 5e to Cisco 4948e switch. PathDiag bombs as does BMD Speedtest. I get this error: number =9 with PathDiag. Says error writing sample data

How is the ISIS connected to the Cisco? 10GigE or 4x1? Are there any other switches between the ISIS and client?

Is it possible to directly connect to the ISIS as a test?

• Thu, Apr 26 2018 3:18 PM In reply to

• hodgesjl
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

My path to the server is via internal nic to wall jack, wall jack to switch via Gig-e, Switch to server via 10Gig-e multimode fiber

We only have the fiber card installed, so I cannot directly connect.

• Fri, May 25 2018 6:35 PM In reply to

• RicardoG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 23 2018
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Hi Guys.  I'm new to this forum but I'm having this exact same issue and was wondering if this has been solved. 

All the details are pretty much the same. I have an iMac Pro on OS 10.13.4 running Avid Media Composer version 2018.5, Nexis client manager version 18.3.0.7, ISIS 5500 version 4.7.11.  When I try to copy a file from the ISIS to my computer I get the error -36 message.  Copying from the computer to the ISIS is not a problem.  My path to the ISIS is the same as hodgesjl, internal nic to wall jack, wall jack to switch (Dell N3048) via Gig-e, switch to server via 10Gig fiber.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Fri, May 25 2018 6:56 PM In reply to

There was an issue fixed in the NEXIS 18.4 client specific to the iMac Pro. You need that version of the client at least. I've asked to have that client added to the Avid Download Center.

We have additional OS X fixes being added to the 18.5 release.

• Fri, May 25 2018 9:00 PM In reply to

Actually, the fix I was thinking of is in 18.3. Do you have WiFi enabled? If so can you disable it?

What NICs are selected in the Client Manager? Ensure only the NIC connected to the ISIS is selected.

Also make sure Jumbo Frames are turned off - the MTU is set to 1500. The iMac Pro will automatically set the NIC to Jumbo Frames.

• Tue, May 29 2018 2:37 PM In reply to

• hodgesjl
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

Only ISIS NIC selected in client

Wifi is disabled

MTU set to 1500

These have been my settings and the problem persists. Thanks for working on this.

• Tue, May 29 2018 2:45 PM In reply to

• hodgesjl
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

p.s. I do not see 2018.4 in the download center

• Thu, May 31 2018 4:25 PM In reply to

• RicardoG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 23 2018
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Hi Bob.  I've just checked all those things.  WiFi was turned off.  Jumbo frames were turned off and MTU was set to 1500.  And only the NIC connected to the ISIS is selected.  Still having the issue. 

I should add that this past Friday we installed a NEXIS and connected it to that iMac Pro and we're having no issues with it.  That would make you think the issue is with my ISIS and not the iMac Pro except that I have a lot of edit bays with Mac Pros connected to that same ISIS without any issues.  Seems to be the combination of ISIS 5500 and iMac Pro.

Thanks.

• Thu, May 31 2018 8:23 PM In reply to

We just posted the NEXIS 18.5 client on the download center, could you give this a try?

There are a couple fixes for the iMac Pro in this release.

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller