Latest post Wed, Jan 24 2018 3:31 AM by Telegram!. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 22 2018 7:34 PM

• maclart
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 22 2018
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Replacing Previous Master Clips with New Captures

So basically I just started working at a company and my current project is getting a documentary up and running that has been abandoned for quite a while. I have nearly all of the assets online now. However, I spent last week capturing the HDVs to 1080p through a deck to a Atmos Shogun, as many of the interviews at the time were done in HDV and needed to be captured in 1080p. The project is about 45 minutes long with a LOT of cuts, and re-editing it by hand would take very long.

I know if the captures had the same start time exactly as the original interview files, I could just reimport the files to replace the old interview files and their edits automatically. However, some of the new captures are off by a few minutes before they hit the exact start frame of the previous files. 

I have been messing around with this for a while now. I exported an aaf of one of the new files with correct in and outs, and when re-importing to the original old file it keeps the video and audio the same. However, the audio I need is on audio channels 3 and 4, and it will only keep the one and two audio channels when replaced into the sequence, as those versions only used channels 1 and 2 for the original edit.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

• Tue, Jan 23 2018 1:07 AM In reply to

Re: Replacing Previous Master Clips with New Captures

Does the re-import import the file with A1, A2, A3 and A4 channels? 
    If so you can mark the IO of the clip you are going to replace (T key on a standard MC KB whilst the Timeline position indicator is over the clip in the timeline with the video track selected). Use the Q key to go to the timelines Mark in.  Use the Match Frame function (This can be mapped to your KB) to bring up the clip in the Source monitor with the same In point marked.  Patch A3 and A4 to the appropriate tracks in the timeline and deselect the video track. Check that the audio tracks Mark in and Mark out are correct and use the B key to overwrite the A1 and A2 audio with the A3 and A4 audio.   

If not you can find all the relevant clips in their bins and select them. 
    Use the Unlink function.  The Keystrokes to Unlink has changed in recent versions. With MC open press F1 (PC) and MC help will open. Type Unlink in the search option to find the keystrokes on your system.  Worthwhile finding out about Relink at the same time you will need it later.
    With the unlined clips selected Use The Clip Menu, scroll down to Modify and across to Modify Clip.
    In the Dialog box that opens use the drop down menu in the top left and scroll down to Set Tracks
    Check A1, A2, A3 and A4. and follow the prompt to quit the dialog box.
    With your clips still selected use the Relink function.

Batch Re - Import these clips and use the method above to change the A1 and A2 media with the required A3 and A4 media.

• Tue, Jan 23 2018 2:18 AM In reply to

• maclart
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

This is useful and I will try this if my new approach I left the end of the day with doesn't work. I captured these in a higher than neccesary codec. In theory, if I transcode one of the interviews with matching start and end times, and keep only the two audio tracks needed and as a1 and a2, would it be possible to offline the currently existing footage in my timeline and replace it with the new transcoded video? Thus avoiding the long process of match framing everything? (I think I would need exactly the same start time to match frame anyway). 

My question with this approach I am trying is, how do I reimport a single transcoded file to replace current existing clips? Because the transcode ended as soon as I was leaving, and I saw it made three media files instead of the single mov file I started with. 

And now that I think of it, I'm not sure if this is the right approach either. I believe this project is being taken into premiere once back online with general cuts done. And I know OMF files won't be read if I export it as an aaf to open in premiere.
    I guess the only way would be to do it how you said but with a subclip of the linked file with a correct start and end time. Unless you can offer any suggestions for a faster proccess? This is a nearly fully edited documentary, and I just know this will take a lot of time, I was hoping for a work-around. 

(Thank you so much for the help! I am just an intern in my first weeks) 

• Tue, Jan 23 2018 7:07 AM In reply to

It’s too bad this Forum doesn’t make it super easy to Upload / Post offline Sequences, via  zipped Avid Project files,  because seeing your Sequence would help us help you.

I suppose it could be done, but of course that’s a sidetrack when you really just want a fast answer...

As an alternative to the excellent suggestion above by Andrew, I offer the “brute force” method:

Take one of your Atomos clips and sync it on your timeline to one instance of the original clip on the timeline IF YOU CAN.

Maybe it’s a situation where you have an old output you can sync on a copy of your offline sequence, placed above the highest video track. I don’t really need the audio.

So if you can achieve sync, you usually can do some minor math and then Add an Auxilliary TC1 that matches the original clip’s TC as it appears on the timeline. The minor math has to do with the differing clip Starting points. It’s not rocket science.

You said A LOT of cuts, but often things are just easier if you have a workable way forward through a finite number of edits.

You didn’t mention how many Atomos Xfer Clips you made, but if it was just a handful, you could probably find sync & Add a matching Auxilliary TC1 fairly quickly. From there, it’s just a matter of determining the + or - offset that can be applied (Pressing Enter on numeric keypad), to whatever the original timeline clip shows and chugging through edit by edit doing Replace edits. 

You should be able to change/Add Source Color in original HDV timeline clips to easily spot when different HDV tape sources were in use (and therefore needing a different offset to its replacement Atomos clip.)

The audio may be tricky, maybe not, but it’s the same idea.

So as long as there is a way to logically choose from one Atomos xfer clip to another, you may find re-editing is not so tough.

Good luck.*

* There’s a variation on this method where you ADD an Auxilliary TC1 value to your original sequence’s clips, matching to the regular Atomos  TC. It helps to have the TimeCode tool open, and show both TCs in Composer as you view your timeline’s offline Clips. 

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 23 2018 9:18 PM In reply to

• maclart
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

I thought i'd share with you guys what I did instead of just disappearing. 

I had a total of around 12 clips from the Atmos, all ranging between around 30 minutes to an hour. I recorded these in a more than neccesary codec, and happy that I did. After trying so many things and being unsuccessful in Avid, I tried to match framing for a little bit. I soon realized how tedious this process would be, and since I was taking it over to Premiere anyways, I cut out Avid from the work flow pretty much.

I exported my sequence as an aaf and brought everything in to Premiere. Then I found the start time from each original interview clip so that I could match it with the new captures. Wrote them down and everything, then used AME to just encode them into single mov files and used relink in Premiere to replace the omf file links. Everything is working perfectly so far, with the only bump in the roads being finding exact matching frames to match it all up, but should have it all back online and replaced within a day or two.

Thank you both for the advice and help. Sorry I couldn't provide any like, pictures or timeline information to make it easier to understand.

• Wed, Jan 24 2018 3:31 AM In reply to

Thanks for describing your fix and best of luck with your project. Sounds like you found the best path to success.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller