Latest post Mon, Jan 22 2018 1:25 PM by DStone. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 18 2018 5:14 AM

3D Pixar Animations

which software do you recommend to me if i'm looking for the top quality professional software to create short 3D animations for TV commercials (e.g. infomercials).

We have always in the past paid an independent contractor to do all our animations for our infomercials.  We usually end up with two to four clips of 3D animations each having a duration of roughly 5 to 10 seconds.  We are now going to do all 3D animations in house but we prefer to use a software that is the "Media Composer" of 3D animations.  In other words, the best animation software, like the quality you see in pixar or disney and such high caliber pro quality.

I know due to the nature of this topic that it can get off topic quick but please, I really need your help because our deadline is fast approaching and the learning curve is severe on 3D animations.

Kind thanks,

Domenech

i9-9980XE; Asus Prime x299 Deluxe II; 128GB DRAM4; Nvidia Titan RTX; SSD 2TB [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 18 2018 3:42 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,485
    • Points 42,025

Re: 3D Pixar Animations

Learning any Animation program is a deep dive.  I would suggest you hire an experienced artist whose work is what you need.  Then buy the tools they require.

People are more important than tools.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Jan 18 2018 8:12 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,815

Can't answer Your question, different software which require different approaches mindwise, eg my graphic artist found it difficult to switch from Softimage, the once media Composer of 3D, to a new "philosophy"; bottom line: the best software is the one that the operator works best with. If You do not have a pretty beefy machine room consider the render farm online rental, if I may.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Jan 18 2018 9:03 PM In reply to

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • California
    • Posts 462
    • Points 5,095

Add this to your "long list" of things to read. After xamount of articles/blogs etc. you should see a pattern of apps

https://www.quora.com/What-software-do-people-at-Pixar-use-for-design-and-animation

MacPro 2008 3.1 | 34GB Ram | Quadro 4000 980ti 960| MC 8.10 | OS 10.6.8 10.13.6 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644| LaCie 324 [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Jan 18 2018 9:23 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 737
    • Points 11,230

If you have multiple tens of thousands of dollars gathering dust, then Maya is perhaps what you're looking for.

If you want to spend less (i.e. free) and get nearly identical results, then Blender is what you want.

Blender is open-source, and is updated constantly. It already has more features than you'll ever use. 

Honestly, I can't think of a single reason to use anything other than Blender.  Unless you're already familiar with a different tool, and that's what's easiest to you (but you will pay and pay and pay for that convenience).  But if you're a new learner, then Blender is the obvious answer.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Thu, Jan 18 2018 9:34 PM In reply to

• David Clarke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 13 2010
    • Brighton, Sussex, UK
    • Posts 240
    • Points 3,270

Blender is amazing for free but I found it hard to learn.  The easier to learn of the ones I have tried is Cinema 4D.  Costs a lot more than free but I found it easier to learn than Blender.  I used to use LightWave a lot which I really liked but there is no developement going on with it so probably not worth putting effort into learning.

Laptop - Haswell desktop processor, 16GB RAM, 970m NVidia graphic card. Desktop - 2011 pin Haswell-E processor, 16GB RAM, Thunderbolt, Blackmagic UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 20 2018 3:12 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,485
    • Points 42,025

One more thing to consider.  Freelance talent pool.  What do they use and know WELL.  There may be times you need extra help.

That is one of the strengths of C4D.  It is used by a lot of working pros.  Blender is not as well accepted.  Harder to find really good help.  Amazing software though.  But it is just different.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Jan 21 2018 7:53 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,390
    • Points 97,050

jef:
    One more thing to consider.  Freelance talent pool.  What do they use and know WELL.  There may be times you need extra help.
    Definitely.  You are not going to do quality 3D work yourself if you're just starting, and you will need outside help.  You will also need either serious render grunt or a lot of time at your disposal.  But the availability of talented 3D artists is the primary consideration and therefore the software that they are happiest with will be your best choice.

jef:
    That is one of the strengths of C4D.  It is used by a lot of working pros.  Blender is not as well accepted.  Harder to find really good help.  Amazing software though.

That situation is changing, and from two directions.  First, there is quite a pool of talented Blender artists developing (my son is one of them, no, he's not available).  Second, considerable work is being done on the user interface, which in any case is customisable to a fair degree.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 22 2018 1:25 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,655
    • Points 46,925
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

jwrl:
    That situation is changing, and from two directions.  First, there is quite a pool of talented Blender artists developing (my son is one of them, no, he's not available).  Second, considerable work is being done on the user interface, which in any case is customisable to a fair degree.
    Blender is my goto application for 3D titles, compositing, and animations. I'm no 3D artist, but it does pretty much everything I need to be able to do (and if I can't do it myself, I'll hire someone to do it for me). Is it better for compositing than Fusion? No. But if you think Blender is hard to learn, look at Fusion. It makes Blender look simple.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller