Latest post Sat, Nov 4 2017 1:21 AM by jef. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 3 2017 11:00 PM

• tristanb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 9 2015
    • Posts 9
    • Points 105

Multipe client monitor setup..

Hello wonderful Avid community, I need some help.

I'm trying to set up some edit suites that at the desk would have two monitors (currently Dell U2715Hs) and a small 27" client monitor for the editor and on the wall a 50"+ client monitor for the actual client.

So four screens in total.

Where I think I'm going to have a problem is that in order for fullscreen playback to work in OSX (macOS) and Avid you need an I/O box like the BMD Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (TB > HDMI) and those boxes in my experience force the audio to pass through them, thus the audio comes out of the TV (we've so far been remedying this by purchasing TVs with 3.5mm out jacks and connecting speakers to it).

What I'd like is for the both the client monitors to playback in fullscreen, OS and Avid on the monitors obviously and for the audio to come out the speakers setup at the workstation.

I was thinking of using something like this  - https://www.aja.com/products/io-4k - or 1080 versions of the same but they only have the one HDMI out and I'm not sure how/if I'd be able to route the audio the way I want.

Lil help?

I did search but couldn't find anything addressing this particular situation.

Thanks in advance.

• Sat, Nov 4 2017 1:21 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,432
    • Points 41,375

Re: Multipe client monitor setup..

My first reactions are that using fullscreen playback to any monitor will never match the accuracy and quality of an I/O box.

Second, I will bet you that the 27" on the desk and the 50" on the wall will have different processing delay.  So when you feed a common signal to them, they will never be in sync.

The only way around this is an I/O box such as AJA or BM feeding monitors with SDI inputs and matching processing delay.

Not sure if you can find that combination.  FSI might be your only choice.

Hopefully I am wrong.  But I have tried this before.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller