Latest post Thu, Sep 28 2017 8:27 AM by BenoitM. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 12 2017 4:38 PM

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,061
    • Points 12,910

How do pro editors usually deal with 30p phone footage in PAL world ?

When including footage from a phone (usually 30p) in a project in the PAL side of the world (25p or 25i) - and this is becoming more and more common I reckon, in certain types of projects at least-, I found that the default motion adapter (120%) results in irregular pan or other movement rendering (brute force frame skipping), while fluidmotion requires sometimes astronomic render times and often manual fine tuning of vectors (depending on scene content).
    So I wonder how pro editors deal with this ? Or is it so that in some cases (broadcast), hardware framerate conversion tools are used instead ? Just curious...

MC 8.8.5 (Symph.)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; Matrox MXO2 Mini (8.0.0); DELL Precision M4700 - Intel Core i7-3740QM 2.7 GHz - 20 GB RAM; nVidia Quadro K2000M 2... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 12 2017 11:09 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 75
    • Points 815

Re: How do pro editors usually deal with 30p phone footage in PAL world ?

I mostly use phone footage at 25fps in a 25 fps project and accept the slight slow mo.

iMac Retina27 late 2014 4Gz i7 16GB AMD R9 2GB with Sata Raid OS 10.11.6 MC 8.6.4 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 13 2017 4:11 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,309
    • Points 96,070

The jumps are more likely to be due to the variable frame rate that the phone captures at.  Depending on how eratic the frame rate is there may be no practical way to get rid of that problem.  However when I've had to do this in the past I've set up a batch job using slowmoVideo on a spare PC.  Alternatively, if it's only a few I've used AE to change the speed.  Haven't had to do it recently though.

I also recall once importing 30 fps media into an AE project and exporting it as 24, then dealing with the 24 fps media as 25 with a fair degree of success.  In that case we had to integrate a bunch of establishers shot at 30 fps in LA into a local 25 fps project.  I don't recall the full details, I just know that we got it to work, but that it was a pain to do.  Because there was no sync to worry about, in the end it worked really well.

Of course all the above totally ignores the sound.  That's a whole new ballgame.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 28 2017 8:27 AM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,061
    • Points 12,910

Experimenting a bit more and because most 'brute force' 120% MA visual problems occur during camera panning, I found that applying a stabilizer ("smooth") effect (on top of the 120% MA with "Duplicated Field") yields better results; depending on the scene content (rolling shutter jello effect and/or rotational shake), either the BCC or the MC stabilizer gives better control or results. The MC filter will add field interpolation if it's a 50i project, which adds nice smoothness when there is panning while the BCC filter does a better job in sharpness control or when there is rotational shake.

Also, setting the MA to "both fields" (in: progressive, out:interlaced) gives very slightly better results

So for me, when using 30p phone footage in a 50i project and speed may not be changed for some reason, the best way to go is to:

1) apply a 120% MA (default) with "both fields"

2) add a stabilize effect (MC or BCC) with short-range smoothing value (e.g. 10 frames)

In case this would help someone....

MC 8.8.5 (Symph.)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; Matrox MXO2 Mini (8.0.0); DELL Precision M4700 - Intel Core i7-3740QM 2.7 GHz - 20 GB RAM; nVidia Quadro K2000M 2... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller