Latest post Tue, Aug 8 2017 4:28 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 6 2017 4:55 PM

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 6 2011
    • Costa Mesa, Orange County, California
    • Posts 82
    • Points 1,005

Can I no longer use my dongle on MC v8.9?

This was posted in the Windows PC forum:

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Another minor issue. The dongle manager is removed. 99 out of a hundred customers might not care but if you deal with interplay, transfer, production services, etc... dongles once in a while, that can be an annoyance.

iMac 21.5-inch, late 2015 (purchased new on Jan. 2017), macOS High Sierra 10.13.3, Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory: 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Graphics... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 6 2017 8:17 PM In reply to

Re: Can I no longer use my dongle on MC v8.9?

Yes you can.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Mon, Aug 7 2017 9:35 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,195
    • Points 14,415

Running 8.9 with a dongle, right now.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 7 2017 5:54 PM In reply to

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 6 2011
    • Costa Mesa, Orange County, California
    • Posts 82
    • Points 1,005

OK thanks, maybe I misunderstood the post.

iMac 21.5-inch, late 2015 (purchased new on Jan. 2017), macOS High Sierra 10.13.3, Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory: 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Graphics... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 8 2017 4:28 PM In reply to

The dongle manager is, or better was, a small application that was included in the utilities folder with every media compser installation. With it you could read and update a dongle. It has been replaced with functionality in the application manager which is fine for Media Composer (if the application works as it should).

But dongles were used for other Avid products as well. Now al these other products are also including or have already included software activation but there are plenty of existing installations out there that still use dongles. Checking these dongles was always a matter of a simple opening of the dongle manager on my laptop with MC and scanning these dongles... Now Avid obviously thought it was wise to remove this application.

Now, manually copying the required files from another older system will be another 5 minutes wasted. But no need to feel sorry for us lucky engineers supporting customers with media composer 3.x.x and up as we have been here before. Back in the days we went from the dongle dumper to the dongle manager and later software activation came.  

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller