Latest post Thu, Aug 31 2017 5:07 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 29 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 5 2017 8:47 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,370

Re: Media Composer v8.9 - Launched

curiosity:

Heads up! The MC 8.9 installer downgrades your Application Manager to 17.5.1 This is a little annoying since 17.7 has some fixes for CPU high useage.

I just submitted a support ticket for high cpu usage of Application Manager v17.5.1 and the response I got from support wasn't "we are aware and have a new version that fixes that." No, the response was "there must be something wrong with your computer because the application manager doesn't have a high cpu usage." 

Thank you Curiosity and yet another "gold star" for the "wonderful"  support team at Avid.

Charles 

HP Z400, z220, and z420 workstations with 8GB of RAM and nVidia Quadro 2000 graphics cards. Windows 7 64-bit SP1. ISIS 5000 4.2. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 6 2017 9:12 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,036
    • Points 59,330

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Adman:
    - Occasionally, when working with media with effects or media where space, time or color adapters were rendered during transcode or video mixdown, you might see artifacts during playback or export. *** Workaround: Go to the Render Settings dialog and choose Disable GPU effects.

No, this can't be true. Not again.

I wonder what is the point in purchasing those expensive Quadro cards if You have to disable GPU effects...

Did not take a test drive, but by reading the what's new I'd say that the audio slip is clunky; it is, more or less, the old perf slip ported to non film projects, only useful for autosync and (perhaps) grouping. Will true subframe audio editing arrive some day?

Support for HiRes monitor it's not clear to me, is it true support, or just blowing up the low res to fit hi res?

MC 8.8, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Aug 6 2017 8:26 PM In reply to

I have no idea. I guess since you update your MC dongle through the application manager and since several other Avid products recently also started using the application manager, Avid does not believe it's needed anymore.

But to be sure we would have to ask Avid.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Sun, Aug 6 2017 11:07 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    Avid does not believe it's needed anymore.
    That would IMO be an exceedingly bad belief to hold. Why do I hold this opinion?

1: The Dongle manager has not been broken in nearly 30 years. (Have Avid rewritten the Dongle manager more than a couple of times in all those years.)
    2: Here the Dongle Manager has saved me more than once when the Application Manager cause issues.
    3: Maybe my Memory is not as good as it used to be but I cannot remember one of the dozens of versions of the Application Manager over the last 3 (?) years that has not broken something.
    4: The Application Manager unneccesarily uses far to many system resouces. The App manager regularly has cache issues     requiring me to waste quality editing time researching and fixing APP Manager issues.
    5: I do not want to spend hours fixing Application Manager induced dongle issues. It seems like I could probably retire with if I just had a dollar for every hour Avid Support spent fixing Application manager issues.  Sad

• Mon, Aug 7 2017 9:48 AM In reply to

Andrew,

(from my personal account)

The Application manager and Avid master account were (and could still be) always going to cause problems as Avid never took the decision to 'clean up' or 'consolidate' the underlying databases and information stored in them. Until today, if you create a new master account you still need to create a separate account for the download center, one for the community, web store billing information and an iLok account depending on your personal setup. (And add to that a partnercentral and ACA account for guys like me)

If you order a big system with multiple edits, Interplay, airspeeds with codec boards, iNews, media central you still get a big envelope with all kinds of paper work in which each paper contains a system ID and/or activation code. Do I care that the one paper is on yellow thick paper US letter format, the other on yellow thick paper A5 or half size US letter while the other is a white printed A4 and that iNews, iNews command and Interplay capture come with dongles with temporary linceses to create an activation file (like a device ID) for which I need to communicate with support or sales? No, after so many years you get used to the procedures for each product. But the way Avid handles these remnants of their frankenstein portofolio of products (Digidesign, ORAD, Basys, NxN, Pinnacle, Euphonix, Sibelius to name the most important) is a good analogy for the internal structure and the amount of succes or failure.

Now in 2017 (29 years after Avid was founded) Avid is ditching Avid license control and is implementing the application manager in most Interplay products. Hallelujah! After Protools and Nexis another product joins a single licensing mechanism. A small step for man, a giant step for Avidkind. Does that mean that protools licenses can now be handled by the same people that handle media composer licenses? Of course not... Am I nuts? How dare I suggest that is even an option.

Now I could continue ranting about a Manilla project and some of the services and support engineers that were fired in the US and EMEA but I do not want to get moderated. The text above is already too much about Avid's internal operations.

That said. I would be soooooooooooooooo happy if I would see all Avid products a customer has including older existing products which are still in the current Avid product portofolio in ONE single master account.

Linking SAP, Partnercentral and masteraccounts to one single database... I keep dreaming.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Aug 10 2017 7:53 PM In reply to

• rodpaul
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,070

8.9 works great, nice little things added that really help - love the new mixer look. Wanted to add that the Nitris DX issue seems to have gone away, and MC sees the box just fine now.

HP 8600 4G ram Vista 64 16TB fiber DX Nitris Symphony 3.0.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 12 2017 5:08 PM In reply to

• Arthur Klein
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Monica CA
    • Posts 132
    • Points 1,690

Yesterday I installed MC_8.9.0_Win_98532 on Win7 Ultimate OS.  It seems to work fine exept that the Avid Background Service Manager icon in the task bar remains RED all the time Avid MC is running... I reverted back to Avid-8.8.5_Win_97980 and problem goes away.

So when can we expect 8.9.1 rev?

Seems that smart move is to stick with 8.8.5 for forseeable future.

Also I am dongle user and IMHO it would seem to me that to kill Dongle Manager is a mistake since it has ALWAYS WORK and is SOLID.

• Fri, Aug 18 2017 3:45 PM In reply to

If only I could download the Windows version.

MC/SN 8.9 ish x15 PC's 1x Mac, PT 12.8 HDX all on PCs, [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 18 2017 4:12 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,220
    • Points 13,295
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Looks like it's a corrupt download, did you try downloading again?

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 18 2017 4:34 PM In reply to

....several times.  Even from a different PC.   I downloaded the Mac version and some other files OK.   It's just the PC version which is a problem.

MC/SN 8.9 ish x15 PC's 1x Mac, PT 12.8 HDX all on PCs, [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 18 2017 4:49 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,220
    • Points 13,295
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Can you try this, right click the zip file then "Extract files" change the path to Downloads\Media_Composer_8.9.0_Win

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 18 2017 5:29 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,557
    • Points 111,675
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Report back and let us know if what ralph suggested worked...

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Fri, Aug 18 2017 6:07 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • KTOWN LOS ANGELES
    • Posts 236
    • Points 3,240

When you say windows 10 pro is supported, you mean the very first one?  What version number should my About/Version/ say.

Creators is: 1703

Thanks

DIY intel 7820x, asus x299-e mainboard, Quadchan 64gb ram, win10 home 64bit creators, 1080ti, Blackmagic Intensity 4k. The latest Media Composer. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 22 2017 6:02 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • KTOWN LOS ANGELES
    • Posts 236
    • Points 3,240

I'm getting mixer issues.  Somtimes changing clip volume doesnt do anything (I have to keep moving the slider for it to register)

And if I hit tab, it doesnt go from one track to another.

Im still editing my current project with 8.9 but some small things ive noticed.

DIY intel 7820x, asus x299-e mainboard, Quadchan 64gb ram, win10 home 64bit creators, 1080ti, Blackmagic Intensity 4k. The latest Media Composer. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 31 2017 5:07 PM In reply to

cls105:
    I'm getting mixer issues.  Somtimes changing clip volume doesnt do anything (I have to keep moving the slider for it to register)

Hey that's interesting... I just reported the same problem yesterday.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller