Latest post Mon, Aug 14 2017 1:30 AM by Mondo. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 1 2017 2:37 PM

gather all used ama files and project in a new folder

Hello after relinking to my ama files all my timelines i am thinking i would like to save all the ama linked files (the original then) in a new folder

i want to store the movie like this instead of storing with transcoded filses, as i think is a smaller size

Now In the bins i have lots of linked clips, much more than the one i acutally used in the timeline

Can i make an export of the project in a new folder containging only the files i acutally used in the timeline?

thanks a lot

CPU I7 2600k 3.4ghz Ram 32gb Ssd 256gb GPU Nvidia GTX760 Win 10 Avid Media 8.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 1 2017 2:52 PM In reply to

Re: gather all used ama files and project in a new folder

Not exactly sure I understand what you are trying to achieve, but if you need a list of all clips that are used in the sequence:

Put your final sequence in a bin, by itself. Then Choose Bin->Set Bin Display, and turn on "Show Reference Clips". The bin should now list all source clips, subclips, sync clips that are used in that sequence. You can drag them into a bin if you want.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 1 2017 3:05 PM In reply to

ok

i have on my hd some folder wiht all the oroginal clips of my project

all of them are am alinked in my project, organized in bins

Now...not all of theme are used in my timeline

I want to be able to collect all the clips that are effectivley used in my timeline and save them in a new folder

so that i can delet al the uneeded clips form my hd and store the final project with the clips that are actually used

is that more clear?

CPU I7 2600k 3.4ghz Ram 32gb Ssd 256gb GPU Nvidia GTX760 Win 10 Avid Media 8.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 4 2017 3:39 PM In reply to

any help for this?
  • Fri, Aug 4 2017 8:15 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,194
    • Points 41,350
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Select all of the sequences and consolidate them to a new drive. This will copy only those sections of the clips actually used (which is what consolidate is designed to do).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Aug 4 2017 8:23 PM In reply to

i was trying to save the ama linked clips, the orginal, as i think it would require less ghard drive space..

Also i have in the various bin all the link to all clips even if they ar enot used..is there a way to clean these?

• Fri, Aug 4 2017 10:00 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,194
    • Points 41,350
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

If your sequence consists of linked clips, then consolidating will write out in the format of the linked clips. But there are restrictions on which formats will consolidate. Pick a sequence, do a consolidate (tell it to make a new sequence), and see what happens.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Aug 4 2017 11:31 PM In reply to

stefanocps:
    i was trying to save the ama linked clips, the orginal, as i think it would require less ghard drive space..
    I would Duplicate your final sequence into the bin that your current final sequence is in.
    Create a new bin and move your Final sequence only into it leaving the duplicate as a backup in the initial sequence bin  
    Follow the suggestion in this quote for your Final sequence in the new bin
    Job ter Burg:
    Choose Bin->Set Bin Display, and turn on "Show Reference Clips".

From the new bins hamburger menu select "Choose Columns"
    Delete all except "Source File" and "Source Path"   (I would name and save this bin layout for future use)
    Sort the bin on Source path.
    With the bin Selected use "File" (drop down menu)/ Print Bin  (Ctrl P)
    Quit MC.

1: Open the folder shown in the Source Path and select all files NOT shown in the printed bin.
    2: Move these to a new "Dump" folder on the drive with your linked folder. (so you have an almost instant move)
    Repeat 1 and 2 for each different Linked source folder.  (use the same Dump folder for each move)

Open MC and the duplicate final sequence.
    Check there is no offline media.
    Assuming no offline media you can delete the Dump folder and all the media there.

If there is offline media then use the Choose Columns  and add the "Offline" column.  
    Print Bin
    Go to the Dump folder. Select each Offline clip and Move them back to the original Source Path folders
    Open MC and check your timeline again.

FWIW I would check the Dump folder size before dumping it.  If your media is in a highly compressed format you may not be saving yourself very much space.  This method keeps 100% of each used file even if you have only 1% of that file in the timeline.

• Sat, Aug 5 2017 8:46 AM In reply to

Yes AndreaAction i have considered that, there is possiblitty that saving the original will not end  up in saving space rather than transcoding only what is actually used. i should make both thest and see

May be the best solution is transcoding and save it like this...so i can also open and work fluently at timeline anytime i wish (with ama it is not good the editing)

if i do the transcoding..i do get ride of all the clips tha are in the bins and not used?

can you suggest a good transcoding format, that keep an eye to size also?

thanks

• Sat, Aug 5 2017 9:12 AM In reply to

Don't forget managaing files in that manual way only works for simple individual source files. If they are camera tapeless files its often important to maintain the whole card(folder) structure.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sat, Aug 5 2017 11:04 AM In reply to

ok i think i have already all the clips in use in my timeline gathered in one bin

they might be as a copy in other bin also..but the one in the timeline should all be in one bin+now if i delete all the other bin...if some clip in the timeline are locate din one of the bin i delete..ishould notice ?

so that i might definitely delete all those bins that now are in the trash

• Sat, Aug 5 2017 11:42 AM In reply to

@AndrewAction i have been able to do do what you told me, and i can see that the original clips i actually use are 75gb

So i think is much less than if i transcide them all

i would like to keep the original files then

Now i need to understand if i can make the final mixdown starting from this point...

and then consolidate would ley me put all the files used in one unique folder?

• Sun, Aug 6 2017 8:25 AM In reply to

AMA clips in bins take up very little space. They are just shortcuts to the actual external source files. So deleteing them in a project saves little space. Also gathering them all in one bin is only helpful in listing the files by their source path.

All the work still has to be done outside Media Composer in terms of deleting files.

Also if you move any source files outside MC you will break the AMA link so they will go offline in MC.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Aug 6 2017 8:26 AM In reply to

You're doing this to save space on 75GB of drive space? Why? Just put it all on a thumb drive.

also: no need to ever delete any bins.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 6 2017 8:34 AM In reply to

the need to delete bn in avid is not for space reason of course, just because there are so many unusued and i want to store a clean project without unneeded bins or clips

i want to have only what is used in my timeline..it is an arranging and ordering matter

@job ter burg i dont do this to save 75bg. i do this to archive a project with only 75gb instead of some hundred of gb if i would archive it with high quality transcoded files!

but please answer me this now

i have al ama linked clips now in my timeline

can i do the final export without the need to transcoding?do i need render?

what is a suggest setting for exporting inqt movie h264 for vimeo?

thanks

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller