Latest post Wed, May 16 2018 5:39 PM by Telegram!. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 24 2017 6:12 PM

Quick question about GPU usage...

I've read many posts on the board in ref to people constantly asking about graphics cards and etc to see if they work for Avid. They are usually told to look at the qualified gpu list in the config folder to find that information.

I know some people alter that file to do it, which isn't something I could do as I'm too paranoid, but when I went to see if I could find the list or etc that it worked with my MC just listed a text file called disqualified gpus.

Am I missing a text file or is it that "generally" most cards will work now, but are not qualified/tested by Avid?

Reason I ask is that my home rig's gpu seems to be acting up a bit (stock GT 120).

Most likely I'll just look for an ATI 5770 or etc that I know was qualified by Avid, but figured it coudn't hurt to check.

Mac Pro 2009 Nehalem Eight Core 2.93 GHz * Media Composer 8.6.1 * Pro Tools 10.3.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 26 2017 6:36 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,789
    • Points 212,705
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Quick question about GPU usage...

Lonestar....

The ones on the list have definately been tested by Avid so we knows those work.  Many that are in the ballpark or close to those that have ben approved will also work but we dont keep a running list of those that people try. 

Using a non approved one may make your mileage of the system vary - so it really is best to go with an approved card.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Jun 26 2017 6:42 PM In reply to

I've used approvced cards an unapproved cards. All worked and I was often able to get more bang for less bucks. But once in a while an odd issue would crop up and sometimes it would be traced back to an unqualfied card or driver.

So if you want less hassel then go qualified. If you know the score and can self diagnose then spin the wheel of luck.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Jun 27 2017 2:39 PM In reply to

No, that's exactly what I want to do, but I don't seem to having the "qualifed gpu" text file in my Avid MC folder unfortunately. That's why I was curious if that list was missing from my install or if Avid had removed it with the newer versions of MC.

I was on MC 6 for quite awhile and only recently moved to MC 8 so not sure if the above applies.

Mac Pro 2009 Nehalem Eight Core 2.93 GHz * Media Composer 8.6.1 * Pro Tools 10.3.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 27 2017 2:43 PM In reply to

This is the file and path on a PC

C:\Program Files\Avid\Avid Media Composer\SupportingFiles\Config\DisqualifiedGpuBoards.txt

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

-

• Tue, Aug 1 2017 11:10 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,208
    • Points 14,640

Same path on Mac. They no longer have a list of qualified board, it's been replaced by disqualified ones. As explained in the file itself:

Feb. 2016: New mechanism to specify disqualified boards rather than qualified boards.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 16 2018 3:49 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

This is the file and path on a PC

C:\Program Files\Avid\Avid Media Composer\SupportingFiles\Config\DisqualifiedGpuBoards.txt

Hi Pat, The one I see on my system is dated Feb 2016, from MC v8.8.4 is that still current?

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 16 2018 5:00 PM In reply to

Thats the correct path. On my system with 2018.4 the file is dated 21/06/2017 so it only gets replaced when they ahve a new board to disqualify.

Not the file works differently now. GPU acceleration is enabled unless a board is listed as disqualified.

-

• Wed, May 16 2018 5:39 PM In reply to

Thanks, Pat. I’ll check it out when I get home.

I’m not interested in the text file, other than learning which cards to avoid, as I was

looking online at refurbished workstations.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller