Latest post Tue, Jun 6 2017 12:57 PM by Pat Horridge. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 14 2017 8:30 AM

Virus/Cryptolocker called "WannaCry"

Could AVID tell us what we should do about this? As far as i can tell the ISIS software is running on a Windows Storage Server 2008, which if unpatched is potentially vulnerable to this.

• Sun, May 14 2017 11:17 AM In reply to

Re: Virus/Cryptolocker called "WannaCry"

Well then, a friendly helper on Facebook linked this: http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/Avid_MS_SecBulletin_status_2017_03_21.pdf

As i read it we can apply all Windows updates , so EVERYONE get going ASAP

• Sun, May 14 2017 12:45 PM In reply to

All the Patch Tuesday updates are supported for the System Director and Client Manager.
    STIGs is also supported.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Sun, May 14 2017 6:24 PM In reply to

Thank you Bob

I spend the weekend patching everything and the last patching was the old ISIS and it's running flawless.

These security/update bulletins, can you subscribe to those?

• Mon, May 15 2017 8:20 AM In reply to

Hi Peter

You can subscribe to the page pointing to the latest Security bulletin:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Troubleshooting/en239659

HP Elitebook 8540W, win7 8GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 17 2017 4:18 PM In reply to

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sweden
    • Posts 300
    • Points 3,990

just to be 100% sure.

Is it safe to download ALL windows updates to an old ISIS 5000 with "Windows storage server"?

ISIS version: 4.7.4.15820

BR

• Wed, May 17 2017 4:22 PM In reply to

You should update to 4.7.11. I'm confident that is what has been tested.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Thu, May 18 2017 7:57 AM In reply to

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 300
    • Points 3,990

but even an unpatched ISIS is quite safe as long you dont open mail & browsing the web on it?

or does this virus infect by the network?

• Fri, May 19 2017 8:24 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 223
    • Points 2,680

mkj:

but even an unpatched ISIS is quite safe as long you dont open mail & browsing the web on it?

or does this virus infect by the network?

wannacry can propogate via an SMBv1 exploit, over the network. You should update windows to modern patch levels, though you may need to upgrade system director software prior to doing so if you care about staying in a tested environment.  

FWIW,  I patched an entire interplay environment to may 2017 security update rollups on monday and have had zero issues. We have not disabled smbv1...yet.

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

Viacom Production Technologies

• Fri, Jun 2 2017 7:19 AM In reply to

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 300
    • Points 3,990

how do you all store your media safe?

I thinking that, to be 100% safe, you should backup your raw footage on a computer that is not connected to Internet. Put it on a storage(directly connected by ethernet) and then let that storage replicate to an other storage that can be reached by Avid clients. Is this making things too difficult, or is it the way to go?

How do you do it?

• Fri, Jun 2 2017 7:59 AM In reply to

Trying to make backed up data available to clients isn't a priority I'd say and it still levaes you data vunerable.

Scheduled syncs of data to storage that isn't accessible normally is best. But even then the fact that the storage is connected makes it vunerable. Ideally you want the storage rotated and ideally offsite.

LTO tapes are a good solution but not easy to scale for very large workspaces.

The key to have a solid solution that gets the data safe.

If you have a malware or virus attack getting it back online quick will be the least of you worries. Geeting all the systems restored and secure is the bigger hill to climb.

I used to ensure I had at least one system in reserve not internet connected I could physically move backed up media to in case I needed to get a job up and running in an emergency.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Jun 2 2017 7:21 PM In reply to

Sit down and enjoy this incredible valuable lecture from me!! ;-)

Buy a LTO drive connect it to a PC, install LTFS and the NEXIS Client. You now have tape based Media, sized 2.2TB or 6TB depending on LTO6 or LTO7 drive.

Create workspaces that corresponds to the max size of your LTO, set them to READ only as soon as they are full or when they reach a certain age (as you see fit).

Back them up to tape (robocopy E: D: /e /r:0 )* . Viola, you now have a complete backup of your Workspace on Tape, you wont need to run more backups during the projects life on this workspace. Thanks to the READ only nothing will be added to it.

*The mounted workspace has drive letter E and the LTFS drive D

But what about the Project??

You can copy those to another server, or even better, throw in a LTO tape and mount the project drive and copy that to a TAPE.

But the Project drive also contains media files..?

Robocopy got you covered..

robocopy E:\ D:\Project_Backup *.avp *.avb *.avs /e /r:0

Copies only project files (ohh and it also keeps the folder structure.)

LTO tapes are cheap, and with the right workflow you spend a few minutes getting the tape going, and just leaves it running until it is done. Typically you get 80-100MB pr second. With LTO7 and a 10GBit NIC you might get more.
    And LTO tapes are pretty much the only place where your data is 100% immune to any kind of CyberAttack.

• Sat, Jun 3 2017 1:25 PM In reply to

Great advice re LTO and LTFS is an ideal solution.

To be supper safe you should run 2 copies of every LTO and store one set off site.

That means you need 3 tapes for each set. the offsite sets are rotated so at no time are all you backups onsite.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

-

• Tue, Jun 6 2017 9:20 AM In reply to

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 300
    • Points 3,990

thanks everyone for your input! 

How long time does it take to restore 1/10/40 TB data from LTO?

Let say that you (as one of my customers) running an ISIS 5000 without support contract, the server goes down and you

need to rent a storage or similar, how long time will it take to be up and running again?

• Tue, Jun 6 2017 9:50 AM In reply to

Depends on the LTO setup

But for a fast 10Gb connection you could get around 6GB per minute approx 1TB every 3 hours

So 30 hrs for 10TB ( over a weekend say)

120Hrs for 40TB

However there are some smarter LTO solutions.

StorageDNA have a neat product that can Archive to LTO from an Avid AAF (or bins even)

That way a crucial sequence can be archived using all the related media and restored far quicker than bringing everything back.

So I think a sensible Post house would have a number of stratagies in place to handle potential issues.

-

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller