Latest post Mon, Aug 14 2017 2:17 AM by Mondo. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 22 2017 2:38 PM

More GPUs Supported Now?

I have an Nvidia Titan X in a Z820 and noticed that when our newly installed Avid 8.6.4 launched, the splash screen said "GPU support enabled". I then looked in the text file that enables/disables cards and noticed that it ONLY has exculsions now eg cards that are NOT supported.

We are due to build a new system and I wondered if there was any official word on this or if anyone else could chime in? The Avid system requirments page still has the very small number of supported GPU listed...

Thanks

Dave Austin

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 4:59 PM In reply to

Re: More GPUs Supported Now?

Similar question have been asked over and over and over and over and over again. Also by me recently.

This 'Avid Media Composer GPU use whitepaper' remains one of my most desired documents.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 5:02 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,088
    • Points 40,030
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

pretty much any modern CUDA based card will work (so both current Quadro and GTX cards). You can also use the Radeon FirePro line of cards, but I don't know about the consumer level Radeon cards. As Avid finds cards that don't work, the get added to the non qualified card list.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 6:20 PM In reply to

Sorry I know it is asked a lot but we want to buy a new 'supported' system from an Avid reseller that will shine with Resolve too. To pay literally £3k extra to have a worse GPU is a bit over the top when the software recognises the Titan X.

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 8:08 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,400
    • Points 109,805
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

David et al 

We changed from a GPU white list to a GPU black list.

When you launch media composer it looks for greater than 2GB GPU memory.  If that is good it does a transfer to GPU test. If that passes it turns on the GPU acceleration.

If one of these tests doesn’t pass it doesn’t turn on GPU acceleration.

The black list ONLY contains cards where we know there is an issue.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 8:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,400
    • Points 109,805
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

david@cuttothebeat.com:

I have an Nvidia Titan X in a Z820 and noticed that when our newly installed Avid 8.6.4 launched, the splash screen said "GPU support enabled". I then looked in the text file that enables/disables cards and noticed that it ONLY has exculsions now eg cards that are NOT supported.

We are due to build a new system and I wondered if there was any official word on this or if anyone else could chime in? The Avid system requirments page still has the very small number of supported GPU listed...

Thanks

Dave Austin

Dave

The qualification page still lists only Nvidia quadro series and AMD FirePro series.  Those cards ship with OEM workstations.

Avid does NOT qualify consumer cards from Nvidia or AMD nor do we qualify the drivers that go with them. 

The Titan card may be very high end but still considered consumer (gaming).  Product management does not want to spend any money qualifying these cards.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 8:46 PM In reply to

Ok thanks Marianna. The blacklist is a better idea and a step forward. I can see why Avid wouldn't want to test millions of cards too. It's a bit of a shame as the Titan X outperforms the Quadros at about a quarter of the price! I know it will work but we want to buy a supported system.

If we put the Titan X in as a second card with a lean (say K2200) card as the Avid one, would that be supported? I want to be able to call our reseller if it goes bang!

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 11:23 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,400
    • Points 109,805
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I suppose but I kow if I ask Dave and George they will say NO... we wont test it so its USE at own risk.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Feb 23 2017 2:37 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,088
    • Points 40,030

david@cuttothebeat.com:

Sorry I know it is asked a lot but we want to buy a new 'supported' system from an Avid reseller that will shine with Resolve too. To pay literally £3k extra to have a worse GPU is a bit over the top when the software recognises the Titan X.

That's the choice you have to make. Either you go with a supported system, and pay the price accordingly, or you save the money and deal with any issues that come up. While quite a few of us (myself included) use GTX cards, there have been issues with some of them not working in the past because of incompatible driver issues. And while these have been fixed by later driver releases from NVidia, this may have been a side effect rather than a planned fix.

Also, consider that Resolve is a multi-GPU based system. Even the free version will use 2 GPUs. You could purchases a less expensive Quadro for use with MC and use a Titan X for dedicated rendering with Resolve (the Quadro would be used to drive the display, and optionally also provide some rendering support).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Feb 23 2017 5:32 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,620
    • Points 18,525

david@cuttothebeat.com:

I don't know what card you're talking about but I wouldn't say the equivalent Quadros are "worse" cards - in fact they are better when used with some applications (particularly precision applications like CAD), while the consumer cards are optimised for gaming (fast rendering). The drivers are different and some features have been turned on and off between the cards.

Cards like the Titan are very high end consumer and probably represent the best compromise.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Fri, Jul 7 2017 11:23 AM In reply to

• irwinpks
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 22 2011
    • Posts 69
    • Points 805

Where can I find the whitelist for Graphics Cards, specifically with CUDA.

On Nvidia's website, they have this...is this the latest? greatest? most complete?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/avid-media-composer.html

Please advise.

Thank you,

Irwin

AVID Media Composer 8.5 / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Intel i7-3820 3.6ghz, 16gb RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7700, 256gb SSD (OS & App only), 512gb SSD (Media)... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 7 2017 12:06 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,088
    • Points 40,030

There is no longer a whitelist. There is now a blacklist of cards known not to work. The file is C:\Program Files\Avid\Avid Media Composer\SupportingFiles\Config\DisqualifiedGpuBoards.txt.

Currently, for the PC, the following are not qualified:

NVidia

• driver 361.91, all cards
    • OCL for all drivers before 376.84
    • Quadro K620, 1000M, 200M K1000M, K2000M, K620M, M500M

AMD

• Driver 16.0-16.399.999.999, all cards
    • OCL for all drivers before 15.201.2401
    • FirePro W2100

For the Mac, the NVidia GeForce GT 750M is not supported.

This is as of MC 8.8.3. The list may have been updated with later versions of MC.

Dave S.

• Fri, Jul 7 2017 12:20 PM In reply to

• irwinpks
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 22 2011
    • Posts 69
    • Points 805

Thank you for the quick reply.

So...to confirm, the cards listed in the link below are OK, as long as the drivers are >361.91 with OCL <376.84

http://www.nvidia.com/object/avid-media-composer.html

I'd like to take advantage of CUDA without spending an arm and a leg...I'm not sure if the Nvidia site has the most current product.  With that said and in regards to your NVidia GTX 970 4GB...how does that perform, and does MC 8.5 take advantage of CUDA?

AVID Media Composer 8.5 / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Intel i7-3820 3.6ghz, 16gb RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7700, 256gb SSD (OS & App only), 512gb SSD (Media)... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 7 2017 4:04 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,088
    • Points 40,030

OCL < 361.91 is not supported. All the cards listed on that page are supported, as all the later GeForce cards. And the GeForce does support CUDA. I use a GTX 960 myself. Exactly what MC does on the GPU is known only to Avid.

Dave S.

• Fri, Jul 7 2017 4:16 PM In reply to

That would be a great feature request. A timeline GPU usage meter...

I guess the only issue would be users posting the meter was broken and wasn't working...

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller