Latest post Sun, Jan 8 2017 11:35 PM by Supermandan1. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 2 2017 5:57 PM

How to put an effect on a source clip?

Hi,

I have a timelapse created in Avid, but for some reason the image is 90 degrees out.  How to adjust the clip while it is in the source monitor?

Thank you,

DC

Asus ZenBook UX534FTC_UX534FT running Windows Home 64-bit Processor: Core i7, GTX 1650 Installed memory (RAM): 16.00 GB Installed: Avid MC 2018.12... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 2 2017 9:41 PM In reply to

Re: How to put an effect on a source clip?

Right-click on the clip in the bin and select "Source Settings". Click on the tab that says FrameFlex, and then click on the button under "Z Rotation" that says "Rotate Left 90" or "Rotate Right 90" (whichever one applies).

Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jan 2 2017 11:09 PM In reply to

Thank you, although then the resizing doesn't function at all.  Please advise?

Asus ZenBook UX534FTC_UX534FT running Windows Home 64-bit Processor: Core i7, GTX 1650 Installed memory (RAM): 16.00 GB Installed: Avid MC 2018.12... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 3 2017 5:26 AM In reply to

What size is the clip and what size is your project? When you say "resizing doesn't work at all" do you mean resizing in FrameFlex or are you trying to resize the clip in a sequence?

Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Tue, Jan 3 2017 2:12 PM In reply to

All in all, this is odd.  I have several collections that needed "create media from (sequential) JPEGs", and all the others framed correctly.  This one, even though it shows in the preview window the correct way, ends up as a source clip 'turned on its side'.  I tried redoing several times, even revisiting the original JPEG files and rotating them all over again, just as a why not?, and it still ends up 'on its side'.  The best question to ask is, how to ensure it is done correctly in the first place? 

• Wed, Jan 4 2017 10:56 AM In reply to

Anyone, any ideas to get this done correctly in the first place ?

• Wed, Jan 4 2017 4:02 PM In reply to

In order to make sure you get the right advice, it would help to know exactly what you're doing and what frame size your project is.

Supermandan1:
    This one, even though it shows in the preview window the correct way, ends up as a source clip 'turned on its side'.

Which preview window are you talking about?

• Wed, Jan 4 2017 6:57 PM In reply to

Hi,

I am re-articulating a fox skeleton and timelapse-filming as I go along.  All the various collection of JPEGs go in with unchanged settings, so that now it is two collections that have ended up 'on their side' (and I have tried everything I can think of to get these normal), with possibly more to come, it all seems very odd.  Re: the preview window, I simply mean when you Import anything then naturally a window pops up through which you target the folders > files you wish to bring in - within this 'preview' window the resultant 'on their sides' files show up as normal.  Raster dimensions, if this is appropriate, is 1920x1080.

• Wed, Jan 4 2017 8:32 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,785
    • Points 48,375
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Can you post one of the offending JPEGs somewhere for us to grab and see if we can reproduce the problem?

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Jan 5 2017 10:44 AM In reply to

How strange is this?  I've just uploaded the attached image here to this forum, as per your request, and it has reproduced 'on its side' without any intention on my part.  Logic suggests that the fault is in the image and not Avid, and if this is so then I do not have a clue as to how to right the problem.  Your thoughts?

• Thu, Jan 5 2017 2:51 PM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,862
    • Points 24,410

Hi Dan,

This is a strange scenario you present.  I saved your image, opened it in photoshop and it was correctly oriented.  Image dimensions were 5504 pix wide X 4128 pix hi  96 pix/inch. 

Is there perhaps something in your import settings?

Did you try importing with Pan&Zoom?

Just some thoughts

Denny

Media Composer 2019.6, BCC Continuum 12.5, , Boris Red 5.6., Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows 10 Pro 1803... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 5 2017 4:29 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,785
    • Points 48,375

Dan, here's the issue. The EXIF data (which contains the metadata about the image) has the image flagged as being taken in Portrait orientation, with the 0,0 point being the bottom left corner of the image. For a normal landscape image, it would be marked as Landscape with the 0,0 point being the top left. For a rotated image (which is what you normally get when you take a picture in portrait position) the mode is Landscape with the 0,0 being the bottom left.

What you have is a portrait picture which has been rotated to display as landscape. The raw picture is stored as portrait. Now depending on whether or not an application reads and processes the EXIF data determines how the image will be displayed. MC does NOT process the EXIF data, so it sees just the raw image (portrait). Most image processing applications and viewers do use the EXIF data, so they rotate the image on display to landscape.

There are EXIF editors out there, but as I don't currently use one there's none I can specifically recommend. You might have to do a batch run and rotate all of the images outside of MC before import.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Jan 6 2017 11:58 AM In reply to

Thank you, Dave.  As long as a solution turns up I enjoy learning about all these quirks.  I have just done a quick Google searc.  What is your view on:

i) software... http://www.colorpilot.com/exif.html

ii) Wikipedia info... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_metadata_editors

Thank you,

DC

• Sun, Jan 8 2017 1:46 PM In reply to

Boy oh boy oh boy... that was difficult!  Ok, I think I've got this.  EXIF editors on the market are $50+, and I didn't want to pay.  So a batch import plug-in for GIMP (http://registry.gimp.org/node/26259) then allows you to rotate en-masse a folder of images, and this seems to work.  I haven't yet gone back to Avid, and unless you hear from me then you know it works.  NOTE, make sure you play around with this beforehand using back-ups of your JPEGs and carefully creating new folders for output.

• Sun, Jan 8 2017 8:10 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,785
    • Points 48,375

There is (or was) a freeware EXIF editor (may have been command line based; I've not looked at them for quite a while). Rotating the image will work, just bear in mind that JPEGs are lossy, so this is a second generation image. You should use the highest quality settings when creating the new JPEGs.

Dave S.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller