Latest post Tue, Aug 15 2017 12:53 AM by BobbyMurcerFan. 39 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 11 2017 4:31 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,088
    • Points 40,030
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Any chance we can get Avid to scale on a 4k screen anytime soon?

BobbyMurcerFan:

I'm not saying that UI scaling is perfect. But I do honestly believe that Avid shouldn't be holding back their development (or wasting resources) to accomodate older versions of Windows. Windows 10 has been out for two years now, and it is a very good OS.

It's not nearly that simple. Avid is pretty much a turnkey system for the big studios. It's where they started. And companies tend to be very conservative. Once you have something that works, you stay with it until you have reason to do otherwise. That includes hardware and software. There's a lot of ancient software running on ancient systems just because it works, and the cost of replacing the hardware and software would be considerable (and in come cases impossible; there are systems out there that have been running for over 30 years for which noone knows exactly the hows or whys, but which produce those critical reports or runs that needed piece of manufacturing, and there's no source code to go back and look into).

This really is a major case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Which means that Avid has to support a certain number of OS releases, as well as their own software. Avid supports some very old versions of their software (unlike the companies I've worked for, which is the current version and 1 version back). That says a lot for users who have a working system, like what they have, and need it to keep running.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Aug 11 2017 4:36 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,088
    • Points 40,030

wkumingo:
    Meanwhile, back on topic, Avid's scaling still does not work as expected and therefore should be removed from the feature list or rephrased to say "LIMITED support for hi res monitors." At the moment it's rather misleading.
    Don't you mean Microsoft's scaling? Avid is depending on Microsoft's scaling feature (which they had to add to support a lot of applications).

A better way might be to not claim native scaling at all, but to indicate that users may use Microsoft's scaling in the W10 anniversary edition. Which, obviously, is not ideal but does work to some extent.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Aug 11 2017 5:06 PM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Chicago
    • Posts 138
    • Points 1,855

DStone:
    Don't you mean Microsoft's scaling?

Nope. This is all up to software developers. The ability to scale the interface for high DPI screens has been around in some fashion since Windows 7. Windows 10 makes it easier to locate, modify and has better DPI handling APIs all around. Legacy apps need to be updated to support what Microsoft has already implemented and continue to improve upon in Windows 10.

I have not experimented with changing the scaling in Premiere or Resolve (because they seem to work) but I may give them a try to see how they fare.

Self-built -- Always current MC version with Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, System: X99 Motherboard and Core i7-6850K, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 11 2017 8:12 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,088
    • Points 40,030

I am a software developer, and the first API's to get the screen DPI don't appear till Windows 8.1. Before then, it was all system based (though you could monkey around with an application's compatibility mode to disable this for a given application).

Currently, MediaComposer seems to be stuck at 96 DPI (standard for an older monitor). For whatever reason, Avid seem to have a problem with changing that. It's possble that the way the entire UI was architected is based on this. And since Windows 7 and 8.0 don't have the APIs to change the scaling, you have to kludge around to get something that works universally. Though if it were me I'd add a HighDPI setting in the MC console to change it manually for Windows 7 and Windows 8.0.

Dave S.

• Sat, Aug 12 2017 3:04 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,088
    • Points 40,030

OK, here's something you can do to fix the bigger-but-blurrier issue when scaling up the display. In the file explorer, got to C:\Program Files\Avid\Avid Media Composer, right-click on AvidMediaComposer.exe, select Properties and then the Compatibility tab. Select the Override high DPI scaling behavior, and change the Scaling perform by: to application.

You will now see that the fonts, icons, and everything else are clear, not blurry.

Dave S.

• Mon, Aug 14 2017 3:44 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,400
    • Points 109,805
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hmmmm

Sorry for the delay fokks.... was out sick for the last week or so.... Puenmonia is a doozy this time of year.  

Anyway, I gabbing with our hardware guy and we both are not sure exactly what the gripe is  here – there are several in this one thread.

For MC v8.9, text scaling was done for 200% only.  Different scaling will be available in later releases down the road.

We both don’t see any blurriness on any of our UHD/4k displays (laptops to large monitors).  Not sure what that issue is here...  explain?????????

Also, dual monitors must be set with same scaling regardless of the resolution of each monitor.  For example, if someone has 1920 x 1080 and 3840 x 2160 monitors connected to same system, they must set both to 200% (or 100%, 125%, 150%, etc).  You cannot have one set to 100% and the other set to 200%.  That does NOT work yet (lots of issues)!

Not sure if that answers any questions!

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Aug 14 2017 4:50 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 664
    • Points 10,080

If I could set the size of text in the effects pallette, that would go a LONG way toward solving the issue. That box seems to be independent of everything else, and the size is always set incorrectly by the UI. It's always way too small, and there seems to be no way to adjust - unlike within bins.  

It's just bad.

Rather than just focusing on JUST 4K screens, if the developers could fix the long-standing gripe of all regular larger-than-600x800 screens, that would be appreciated.  This has been an issue literally since CRT screens went away. 

I'm really amazed this problem didn't get fixed in version 5 many years ago.

If there is a "size" box inside the effects pallette to fix this, I'm missing where it's at. 

A real fix would be in-app. Inside the Avid UI. Adjusting the overall size of Windows to 200% (or any other multiplier) is not really a good option, for obvious reasons. Nobody needs to scale everthing within Windows. That just creates problems with everything else that's not Avid. Adobe doesn't require this. Nobody else requires this. It's not a solution.

Again, if I'm missing something, and there's a good fix for this, I'm more than happy to stand corrected.

Media Composer 8.X (usually newest release), Avid matrix-recommended versions of both Nvidia driver and Quicktime, Matrox Mini MX02, Self-built machine... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Mon, Aug 14 2017 5:57 PM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 15 2010
    • los angeles
    • Posts 529
    • Points 5,990

Marianna:
    Also, dual monitors must be set with same scaling regardless of the resolution of each monitor.  For example, if someone has 1920 x 1080 and 3840 x 2160 monitors connected to same system, they must set both to 200% (or 100%, 125%, 150%, etc).

marianna,

does that mean that there is a return to be able to use two monitors with a different resolution with 8.9? (without taking in consideration change of scaling)

mc 8.9.0 - QT essential 7.7.9 - win 10 pro64 creators - nVidia gtx1080 OC (382.05) - intel i7 6800k@4.1ghz water cooled by corsair H100i V2 - MSI X99A... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Aug 14 2017 8:16 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,088
    • Points 40,030

Marianna:
    We both don’t see any blurriness on any of our UHD/4k displays (laptops to large monitors).  Not sure what that issue is here...  explain?????????

See my response below (http://community.avid.com/forums/p/179810/845957.aspx#845957). The text and such may be blurry when the display is set for the system to scale. When it's set for the application to control the scaling, you don't get the blurriness.

Dave S.

• Tue, Aug 15 2017 12:53 AM In reply to

I do appreciate what you're saying. Avid users have certain environment demands that more consumer oriented users just don't experience. And those demands may mean workng on older OS's.

What I do think would be helpful to project mamagement is to show some screen captures of what exactly you are seeing. As there seems to be a bit of a disconnect of what they are seeing and what you are describing. I think it's probably because you use all aspects of the UI and in ways that they might not be considering.

MC 8.2, AvidFX 6.4, BCC 8.2, Squeeze 8.1, QT 7.7.3, Nvidia driver 310.90, Window 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, IE9. Quadro 2000 and 600 videocards (three... [view my complete system specs]

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

Page 3 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller