Latest post Sat, Aug 13 2016 6:00 PM by Marty. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 1 2016 1:53 PM

Need advice for a 3rd party video I/O card

Hey everybody,

I need your advice for a 3rd party video I/O card.

For my next project I will be working on a 27” retina iMac (4,0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB graphics) with upgraded RAM to 16GB or 32GB, plus an EIZO CS2420 as client monitor.
    The project-codec will be DNxHD115 1080@24p will not include any color correction/animation, just editing :).

Now the part I need advice. We need to get a 3rd party I/O card.
    My suggestion would be to get the AJA IO XT, because i had very good experience with it in the past and I think it is a very reliable hardware.
    They obviously want to save some money and want to get the BlackmagicDesign UltraStudio Express, which is much cheaper than the AJA hardware.

With the BMD UltraStudio Express I have no experience at all, so i read some stuff about noisy fans, slower timeline operations, “BOB” errors, slow performance in trim mode, broken playback, driver problems (specially with newer drivers etc.)...

What is your experience with the BMD UltraStudio Express?
    Which driver is the most stable one?

Many thanks in advance
    Chris

MAC 2018.8 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) | OSX 10.11.1 | Intel Core i7@4 GHz | 32GB RAM | AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB | AJA IO XT [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Aug 1 2016 9:47 PM In reply to

• jdw
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 363
    • Points 4,435

Re: Need advice for a 3rd party video I/O card

Hello Chris, I'm interested to hear more about the performance issues with the BM cards.  Where'd you see that?  We've used the Ultra Studio and the Deck Link cards with a Magma thunderbolt expansion chassis.  The Card with Magma is a noisier solution.  With both products, we haven't seen any performance issues.  What I miss is the Video Output tool and the ablility to send out bars for troubleshooting purposes.  The DNxIO is the same in that regard.  

MC 2018.9 OS 10.13.6 ISIS 7000 (2018.6.1) [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 2 2016 5:29 PM In reply to

• Adam Cravens
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 1 2014
    • Burbank, CA, USA
    • Posts 14
    • Points 175

FWIW Chris we're running 5 non-retina iMacs here in a similar configuration to what you're doing. 2 have the AJA IOXTs and 3 have BM UltraStudio Express installed, all running MC 7.0.4 and Mavericks, though 1 is on Yosemite. The 2 with the AJA cards were installed and have been running rock solid since day 1. I kinda forget they're there as everything just works. The 3 with the Ultrastudio Express have been problematic since we've had them with a process of installing drivers, figuring out what works and what doesn't, back-revving drivers (pretty much everything you described you'd heard about them, which can be found all over the forums). I'm sure there is a combination of MAC OS / Media Composer / BM Drivers that yields a good editing experience w/o bugs, crashes, etc, but I've yet to find it. It's kinda like a unicorn or a yeti.

3.5 GHz Core i7 Imac, Late 2013 / 32 GB / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB / OS X 10.11.6 / MC 8.9.4 / AJA IOXT [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 3 2016 3:17 PM In reply to

Thank you Adam. You confirm my thoughts.

The BMD Hardware will arrive tomorrow.
    In case it will fail the tests, we will replace it with the AJA IO XT.

jdw I will keep you posted on what I will find out.
    I'll test it with the project i worked on while i had the AJA.

MAC 2018.8 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) | OSX 10.11.1 | Intel Core i7@4 GHz | 32GB RAM | AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB | AJA IO XT [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Aug 3 2016 6:32 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 946
    • Points 11,070

I would go with Blackmagic.
    In the past Aja always had the much better driver than Blackmagic.
    But that changed since Avid's DNxIO with Blackmagic hardware. Suddenly all problems were gone.

Now, Aja is making some troubles with their latest drivers. When you press play and then reverse play, the playback is jumping around 4 frames, when you hit pause, the playback is jumping around 1 frame back.

I'm still using my Aja T-Tap with OSX 10.9.5 / old Aja 10.5.2 driver / Aja OpenIO 10.4.9. All drivers later than that made problems. Aja support knows that but there seems to be now progress.

I think I will also change my Aja T-Tap with the Blackmagic Mini Monitor for that reason, unless Avid tells Aja the same magic trick they told Blackmagic to make it work properly.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Wed, Aug 3 2016 8:08 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 946
    • Points 11,070

With Blackmagic it's important to use their latest drivers and everything after Media Composer 8.5.
    As I said, their old drivers in combination with an older Media Composer version was horrible (jumping / black frames / very slow timeline etc). 

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Wed, Aug 3 2016 9:40 PM In reply to

• Adam Cravens
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 1 2014
    • Burbank, CA, USA
    • Posts 14
    • Points 175

This is encouraging as I would really like these 3 BM boxes to work properly eventually. Some of the editors now disconnect the hardware while they're working and turn it on only when clients are there because they are so utterly unstable running MC 7.0.4. Bloersch, we are looking to upgrade to some flavor of MC 8. Can you suggest a combination of OS 10.9.5 / Media Composer and BM drivers that have proven stable for you? I'd very much appreciate it.

3.5 GHz Core i7 Imac, Late 2013 / 32 GB / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB / OS X 10.11.6 / MC 8.9.4 / AJA IOXT [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 3 2016 10:25 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 946
    • Points 11,070

I think, It's not that easy these days. I'm editing in various editing suites and I'm seeing Media Composer 6.5 - 8.6.1 (with lots of different patches),  OSX 10.8.5 - 10.11.5, Avid hardware / Aja / Blackmagic / Matrox. Everything has it's pros and cons.

With Blackmagic hardware there was a boost in performance since MC 8.5 (working in the timeline / trimming) and since several months the blackmagic desktop driver solved the problems with black frames / jumping picture at start and stop, I've used it with 10.10.5 & 10.11.4.

I don't own Blackmagic hardware (yet), but I think I would go with:
    OSX 10.10.5
    latest BM Desktop driver
    Media Composer 8.5.3 - you could try 8.6.1, it's just very new...

You could install everything on a different drive or partition and give it a try before upgrading everything.

Good luck. 

www.film-editing.de

• Thu, Aug 4 2016 9:56 AM In reply to

Thank you very much Bloersch!

I keep you guys posted on what I run into.

• Fri, Aug 12 2016 2:44 PM In reply to

I have some updates.

The BMD UltraStudio Express is installed with the latest Desktop Video Utility (10.7.1) along with Media Composer 8.5.3.

The playout monitor is connected via HDMI, for audio we use the analog output.

So far, the video (HDMI) is at least ONE FRAME behind the audio playback.
    But the audio playback is in sync with the internal video in the source/record monitor.

I double checked with the Media Express Software, which is also out of sync.

Does anyone have a similar experience?

• Sat, Aug 13 2016 6:00 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 946
    • Points 11,070

In most cases it's the delay of the HDMI monitor.

The adcanced solution would be to measure the delay with a Sync-One2 and use sth. like Behringer Shark FBQ100 to adjust an audio delay (in ms).

Or you could use the iPhone App Catchin'Sync and a Liny Lip Sync Corrector.

Or you just measure by your own eyes / ears and use the Desktop Play Delay inside Media Composer.

www.film-editing.de

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller